Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thankful I Live Where I Do

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Thankful I Live Where I Do
« on: July 01, 2020, 10:53:05 AM »
Looking at the news this morning and I see another in the long line of daily stories on violent protests, destruction of property and what amounts to complete anarchy in certain cities around the country.  This morning it was on the police having to use tear gas to break up a "riot" in Portland.  Now granted, Portland and Seattle seem to be the usual suspects when it comes to that sort of thing, but since the George Floyd incident, it has spread all around the nation and it's become obvious that there's no real message or purpose behind any of it other than a bunch of young assholes F'ing shit up just because they feel empowered to do just that.

It was about inequality and social injustice.  Then it was about attacking and doing away with the police.  Now, it has become about destroying anything that bears any resemblance to this country's history.  Not just Confederate flags and monuments, but virtually anything that has to do with our past.  And the things being attacked point out the unbelievable ignorance of those carrying it out.  You're destroying the very things that represent what you claim to stand for.  But again, it's not about any message.  It's about....well, see the above.

I honestly don't understand that mindset.  I've lived here for 37 years and I just don't see people talking or thinking that way.  I don't think it's because I'm older and white and live in my own little, secluded world, surrounded by other older, white people who talk and act the same.  We're not Atlanta or even Birmingham down here, but I imagine this area resembles most cities with regard to a good cross section of ethnicities and classes.  There are plenty of "rich" neighborhoods, middle class, lower income areas, trailer parks, housing projects etc.  I have no clue on the percentages, but there are no shortages of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Muslims...you name it.  I say that to tell you that if there were truly all these reasons to be legitimately angry about issues in society, there's more than enough people of all colors here to make some noise, for lack of a better term.

After George Floyd was killed, there were a couple of days where a group of protesters, maybe 100, if that, who gathered at the Court House here, holding up signs, singing songs and yelling chants for justice.  I drove by to check it out and basically thought, "Good for them", because I believe I felt the exact same way the overwhelming majority of the country felt after seeing the video of the cop kneeling on the man's head until he died. People were pissed, and rightfully so.  But other than the protests and having their voices heard and delivering their message to people passing by, and through news coverage and social media etc. there were no businesses burned, no bricks through windows, no bricks or rocks thrown at passing cars, no marches on the police station or calls for abolishing the force, no mobs stomping on vehicles or dragging people out of cars and beating them within an inch of their lives. 

There have been no statues toppled or monuments destroyed that I know of.  There may be calls for removal of certain names or monuments that I'm not aware of. I'm sure there are.  This is still the deep south.  But if so, it's being done through proper channels.  Again, I simply don't get the mindset of destroying property and in many instances, innocent lives, to effect change.  Especially when there really is no unified cause behind it.  Yes, we have plenty of real world problems down here, but I'm very thankful for where I live.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Thankful I Live Where I Do
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
Complete and total justice will not be served until that offensive boll weevil statue is torn down.  It has brought pain and suffering to me and mine thinking about what they did to our beloved cotton fields.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:16:57 AM »
Complete and total justice will not be served until that offensive boll weevil statue is torn down.  It has brought pain and suffering to me and mine thinking about what they did to our beloved cotton fields.
You know, I had forgotten all about that.  That makes my blood boil.  Tell you what, I'll call the boys and let's meet at the Sonic off 84 about 10:00 tonight.  I've got plenty of rope and paint. 

What color masks should we wear tonight?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
You know, I had forgotten all about that.  That makes my blood boil.  Tell you what, I'll call the boys and let's meet at the Sonic off 84 about 10:00 tonight.  I've got plenty of rope and paint.

What color masks should we wear tonight?
Might I suggest...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:09:10 PM »
Might I suggest...
When I was about 16 and thinking I might want to pursue a career in cartoons/comics I had a series I drew for a while.  One of the characters was a sad Klansman.  I guess that wouldn't fly now.  I liked drawing that, though.  I had a whole little southern community and did a three/four-panel comic once a week for a year or so.  Nobody much saw it, I was just screwing around, with the idea that I might want to end up working for DC or something.  I tinkered around with drawings for a long time.  Then Calvin and Hobbes and Dilbert came along and I realized I didn't have the creative imagination. 

I'm going to see if my mom saved any of those, though.  I'd like to see where my head was then.  Obviously I can't run for office ever again because I did that and I also had a rebel flag towel on the beach in Fort Walton in 1980.  People have pictures of that.  It's over for me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
Might I suggest...

Why do you have a pic of cctau?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 05:07:53 PM »
Why do you have a pic of cctau?
Why it gotta be like that! 
I don’t where a mask for no man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »
Why it gotta be like that!
I don’t where a mask for no man.
Unless you can be Batman.  Then definitely wear a mask.

Batman - Home | Facebook
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »
Unless you can be Batman.  Then definitely wear a mask.

Batman - Home | Facebook
There is that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
When I was about 16 and thinking I might want to pursue a career in cartoons/comics I had a series I drew for a while.  One of the characters was a sad Klansman.  I guess that wouldn't fly now.  I liked drawing that, though.  I had a whole little southern community and did a three/four-panel comic once a week for a year or so.  Nobody much saw it, I was just screwing around, with the idea that I might want to end up working for DC or something.  I tinkered around with drawings for a long time.  Then Calvin and Hobbes and Dilbert came along and I realized I didn't have the creative imagination.

I'm going to see if my mom saved any of those, though.  I'd like to see where my head was then.  Obviously I can't run for office ever again because I did that and I also had a rebel flag towel on the beach in Fort Walton in 1980.  People have pictures of that.  It's over for me.
I was doing some quick math and you were 48 in 1980. Were you still going to spring break?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
I was doing some quick math and you were 48 in 1980. Were you still going to spring break?
I kept getting older they just stayed the same. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »
I kept getting older they just stayed the same.
That’s what I like about those High  School girls, man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »
When I was in high school in the mid-to-late 90's two friends of mine stole the boll weevil.  It wouldn't come off so they took a club and broke the arms off of the lady.  It made national news in all the wrong ways, i.e. - The Daily Show.  They finally got caught and were arrested.  Had to do some crazy amount of community service and pay thousands in fines.  I don't believe it's been attempted since then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions