Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Seafood Gumbo

jmar

Seafood Gumbo
« on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:53 PM »
Don't have a standard recipe because I use what's on hand other than the shrimp 1.0 lbs. and oysters .50 lbs.

Used 1.5 lbs. of catfish, .50 lbs. of Conecuh smoked sausage, 15 oz. frozen okra, 16oz. petite tomatoes, 1 box of beef broth, 2-3 cups of water, 1 amberlike beer, 1green bell pepper diced, 1 red bell pepper diced, 1 whole yellow onion diced, 4 minced garlic cloves, 4 celery stalks chopped fine , 3 green onions chopped fine and various seasonings none exceeding 2 tablespoons including salt, black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, 2 bay leaves,
1/2 tsp Everglades, 1/2 tsp Sids Sure Shot, a whole lemon squeezed and whatever else floats your boat.

The secret of course is the roux which takes as much as an hour with dedicated stirring consisting of any combination of bacon grease, vegetable oil and/or real butter along with 2 cups of all purpose flour eased in gently. I use at least a half cup of bacon drippings and 2 sticks of butter.

Serve with rice and French bread.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:46:16 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Seafood Gumbo
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »
I've never made gumbo, just never a big fan of it (I like crawfish etouffee). But every gumbo recipe I have seen has File' (ground sassafrass leaves) in it. Just a suggestion.

Sounds good though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:07:22 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
I've never made gumbo, just never a big fan of it (I like crawfish etouffee). But every gumbo recipe I have seen has File' (ground sassafrass leaves) in it. Just a suggestion.

Sounds good though.
Yeah I think you only need file' if the finished broth is too thin. Otherwise it's a happy ending. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »

Sounds good though.
File is a thickener.  The okra serves that purpose here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:57:49 AM »
File is a thickener.  The okra serves that purpose here.
Yes. Didn't sweat the roux this time and it turned out well. Family attacked it three days. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
I'm lazy. I use Zatarins. Throw in 1lb shrimp, 1lb conecuh, 2 bags frozen gumbo veggies from kroger, Tony Sachhherrees and make extra rice.
Its not professional, but it serves me well. and lets face it, you could just about boil water with conecuh and call it a gourmet soup!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 01:55:10 PM »
I'm lazy. I use Zatarins. Throw in 1lb shrimp, 1lb conecuh, 2 bags frozen gumbo veggies from kroger, Tony Sachhherrees and make extra rice.
Its not professional, but it serves me well. and lets face it, you could just about boil water with conecuh and call it a gourmet soup!
I agree and seldom leave without some form of tasty Conecuh. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions