Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Maybe We Should Be Demanding More...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Maybe We Should Be Demanding More...
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
from the right people?

Driving to work this morning and listening to the parade of callers, ranting about how much Malzahn sucks.  People just plain angry.  And funny how this board, and probably every other AU board, is twice as active as they would be if we were 6-0 and top 5.  I've had my bouts of pissed-offedness, but I try to check it by telling myself not to be a Bammer.  It's a football team and I'm not playing or coaching. I'm extremely passionate about the program and devote a lot of time and $$$ to it in attending games, but I know the sun is still going to come up the day after a win or loss. 

But is our anger or our passion a bit misplaced?  The callers this morning were rehashing the same things they were 3-4 years ago.  Look back on this board.  I guarantee the comments are exactly the same.  Play calling...QB development and play....dissension amongst the players....  shampoo, rinse, repeat.

I'm at the point of apathy with Gus. There is way more than enough of a sample size to know what this coach is all about.  It's been evident for several years.  But as we muddled through the 8-5's and 7-6's, the 5 QB's and whirley-birds etc. we never demanded better.  Better yet, those in charge never demanded it.  As I said in another thread, Auburn did what it always does. They let the euphoria of a couple of big wins blur the lines.  They panicked and thought they had to lock down a coach that had long since proven he can't hack it on a consistent basis at this level.  They gave him luda-kris amounts of money and structured the deal such that we're all married to this coach for the foreseeable future.

But I'm actually not pissed at Gus anymore.  The man got his money.  Who among us wouldn't?  Whether it was real or just another Arkansas troll job, he gave Auburn the option and they caved. Was it Leath that made the decision?  The Trustees?  We'll be in coach-search mode again in the future. We're not right now.  $32 million says we have to bend over and take it.  But when that time comes, we might need to go Left Wing protest mode and make 100% certain they get the importance of what they're doing.         

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Maybe We Should Be Demanding More...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
from the right people?

Driving to work this morning and listening to the parade of callers, ranting about how much Malzahn sucks.  People just plain angry.  And funny how this board, and probably every other AU board, is twice as active as they would be if we were 6-0 and top 5.  I've had my bouts of pissed-offedness, but I try to check it by telling myself not to be a Bammer.  It's a football team and I'm not playing or coaching. I'm extremely passionate about the program and devote a lot of time and $$$ to it in attending games, but I know the sun is still going to come up the day after a win or loss.

But is our anger or our passion a bit misplaced?  The callers this morning were rehashing the same things they were 3-4 years ago.  Look back on this board.  I guarantee the comments are exactly the same.  Play calling...QB development and play....dissension amongst the players....  shampoo, rinse, repeat.

I'm at the point of apathy with Gus. There is way more than enough of a sample size to know what this coach is all about.  It's been evident for several years.  But as we muddled through the 8-5's and 7-6's, the 5 QB's and whirley-birds etc. we never demanded better.  Better yet, those in charge never demanded it.  As I said in another thread, Auburn did what it always does. They let the euphoria of a couple of big wins blur the lines.  They panicked and thought they had to lock down a coach that had long since proven he can't hack it on a consistent basis at this level.  They gave him luda-kris amounts of money and structured the deal such that we're all married to this coach for the foreseeable future.

But I'm actually not pissed at Gus anymore.  The man got his money.  Who among us wouldn't?  Whether it was real or just another Arkansas troll job, he gave Auburn the option and they caved. Was it Leath that made the decision?  The Trustees?  We'll be in coach-search mode again in the future. We're not right now.  $32 million says we have to bend over and take it.  But when that time comes, we might need to go Left Wing protest mode and make 100% certain they get the importance of what they're doing.       
Where might one purchase a pussy hat?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
Where might one purchase a pussy hat?
From Jay Jacobs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
As I said in another thread, Auburn did what it always does. They let the euphoria of a couple of big wins blur the lines.  They panicked and thought they had to lock down a coach that had long since proven he can't hack it on a consistent basis at this level.  They gave him luda-kris amounts of money and structured the deal such that we're all married to this coach for the foreseeable future.

I know we hashed...and re-hashed...this point when the deal was inked, but I disagree with your assessment of the conditions surrounding the contract.

Caveat: I know nothing...these are just my thoughts.

I don't think it was UGA/Bama post-coital euphoria.  I think the PTB realize that staff stability is a key factor in long-term success.  I also think they looked around at the open jobs and quality candidates available, did some quick cyphering, and realized that there weren't enough of the latter for the former and didn't want to be overpaying for a relative unknown quantity.

The terms of the contract are not commensurate, in my opinion, with the coach's inherent worth.  That said, the overall cost of a total rebuild with a shot-in-the-dark candidate might have been more than the admin was willing spend.  I think this is our ride-the-storm-out deal with Malzahn.  We're hunkered down, knowing what we'll get, until Saban moves on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
I know we hashed...and re-hashed...this point when the deal was inked, but I disagree with your assessment of the conditions surrounding the contract.

I don't think it was UGA/Bama post-coital euphoria.  I think the PTB realize that staff stability is a key factor in long-term success.  I also think they looked around at the open jobs and quality candidates available, did some quick cyphering, and realized that there weren't enough of the latter for the former and didn't want to be overpaying for a relative unknown quantity.

The terms of the contract are not commensurate, in my opinion, with the coach's inherent worth.  That said, the overall cost of a total rebuild with a shot-in-the-dark candidate might have been more than the admin was willing spend.  I think this is our ride-the-storm-out deal with Malzahn.  We're hunkered down, knowing what we'll get, until Saban moves on.
Then we are the French.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »

Is Malzahn still here had he lost to UGA and Bama?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »

You forgot we also had no Athletic Director either, it was truly a perfect storm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
Is Malzahn still here had he lost to UGA and Bama?
The answer is probably not, but IMO Gus should have never been here to begin with so there is that.  I don't believe Wes4au said it was the right decision, just his estimation of the decision process, which I believe to also be the case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »
The answer is probably not, but IMO Gus should have never been here to begin with so there is that.  I don't believe Wes4au said it was the right decision, just his estimation of the decision process, which I believe to also be the case.
Oh I get that, but my contention is that the 4th straight losses to both UGA and Bama would have meant all of that was a moot point.  There are zero contract discussions from that point forward except the question of how do you want the buyout check made payable? 

I said last year to reward the man for those wins.  And yes, they were huge wins. Extend him a year.  Stroke him a big bonus.  But a 7 year/$7 million deal with the present buyout is unacceptable by any standards where Malzahn is concerned.  Especially when he had long since proven that what we're getting right now is who he is.  That's not going to change.  In no way, shape or form should they have done what they did, current climate or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »

I said last year to reward the man for those wins.  And yes, they were huge wins. Extend him a year.  Stroke him a big bonus.  But a 7 year/$7 million deal with the present buyout is unacceptable by any standards where Malzahn is concerned. 

Had that line been drawn in the sand, Gus would be in Fayetteville and we'd be breaking in Morris/Pruitt/whodafuckknows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »

Had that line been drawn in the sand, Gus would be in Fayetteville and we'd be breaking in Morris/Pruitt/whodafuckknows.
and I'm of the mindset that this would not have been a bad thing.  Because what do we have now?

again the other outlier was we had no AD.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:36:06 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
and I'm of the mindset that this would not have been a bad thing.  Because what do we have now?

again the other outlier was we had no AD.
Better the devil you know, IMO.

Gus beats Saban more often than just about anybody and as long as we're in the SECW, the road to championships run through Turdtown.

I'd love more consistency and I abhor the lifeless offense when the running game isn't top tier, but it is what it is, aight?

My stance would be different if there was more parity in the West and the title was truly up for grabs every year.  It will be that way eventually.  Until then, strap in so Gus can strap on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »
Better the devil you know, IMO.

Not when he is getting paid 49 bazillion dollars I tend to disagree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »

And that would be worse than the current situation....how? BTW, ya' think Pruitt can game plan to stop this offense?  He may not have the athletes, but neither did Southern Miss.

I'll say it again, Gus Malzahn has long since proven this is who he is.  This is far more the norm than the exception.  He'll always go on a run, but come crashing back down to reality in some mind-boggling manner.  And if....I stress if, that piece by Marcello is half way credible, we have far bigger problems than play calling and player development.    

***Submitted after GF's post***
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 12:55:04 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »
And that would be worse than the current situation....how? BTW, ya' think Pruitt can game plan to stop this offense?  He may not have the athletes, but neither did Southern Miss.

I'll say it again, Gus Malzahn has long since proven this is who he is.  This is far more the norm than the exception.  He'll always go on a run, but come crashing back down to reality in some mind-boggling manner.  And if....I stress if, that piece by Marcello is half way credible, we have far bigger problems than play calling and player development.   

***Submitted after GF's post***
I just think that washing out coaches every 3-5 years trying to chase Saban is a losing proposition.

Settle in.  CFB is fucked right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
I just think that washing out coaches every 3-5 years trying to chase Saban is a losing proposition.

I don't disagree, look at the like of schools who have done that.  However, we know Gus and he has been here longer than 3-5. It is, however, moot as you have said and thus the reason I believe we have Gus until Saban is gone or close to being gone.

:&
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
I don't disagree, look at the like of schools who have done that.  However, we know Gus and he has been here longer than 3-5. It is, however, moot as you have said and thus the reason I believe we have Gus until Saban is gone or close to being gone.

:&
One thing for certain is we do not want to be looking for a coach the same time the mouth breathers are.  They have already pushed the average income of coaches through the roof and they will again after Lord Sabinz leaves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:01 PM »

It’s not chasing Saban.  Its abhoring incompetence. 

Auburn physically dominated two number one teams in a row last season.  We proved we have the talent to do that.  

We also proved we can take that talent and gargle balls.

Forget chasing Saban.  Not the point.  It’s about looking and acting like a football team and not some clown show.  It’s about not doing the same stupid failed thing over and over.  It’s about playing hard.  It’s about being prepared.  It’s about getting better. It’s about evaluating the talent you have and managing that talent.  

There are things Gus does well.  He’s as good a front runner as I’ve ever seen.  When things are working he gets on a roll where every call he makes rocks the opposition.  But god help us all if a wheel starts to wobble. He overthinks, overdoes, doubts, puckers and falls apart.  That lost/confused face on the sidelines where you know he has no idea what to do, can’t step outside his own insecurities to figure it out and is mentally flailing? It’s infuriating.  I’ve never seen that look of paralyzed helplessness on even a good high school coach.  And when you see it you know it’s going to have lingering impact.  It’s never just one game. That self doubt spills over for weeks and shows up in gameplans and playcalls.  

I want to believe.  I want to think it’s going to be better “when”.   But that’s bullshit.  

I spent a long time married to someone and it was awful.  I kept telling myself things would be better “when”.  When doesn’t come.  You’ll have good days that give you hope but they never last. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
Not when he is getting paid 49 bazillion dollars I tend to disagree.
Yep.  We are paying WE!!! Salary and getting Nook results.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions