Sept. 29: vs. Southern Miss
Oct. 6: at Mississippi State
Oct. 13: vs. Tennessee
Oct. 20: at Ole Miss
Nov. 3: vs. Texas A&M
Nov. 10: at Georgia
Nov. 17: vs. Liberty
Nov. 24: at Alabama

The opener against Washington is a great unknown.  Their strengths seem to match up well against our biggest questions. 

LSU is another huge question.  Losing to them last season was inexcusable.  Orgeron promises on one hand to go back to caveman football and try to out-ugly Alabama. Then Ensminger comes out and says they're "gonna throw first and run if it's there..."

LSU opens with Miami and that could go either way. 

What happens if both teams are sitting at 1-1 the third week of the season?  What's the pain threshold? 

Could Orgeron survive another 1-2 start?  Would the griddle heat up on Malzahn (again) if AU slid to 1-2 with Arkansas coming to town? 

I don't have a feel at all for this season. 

I've always said I'd be happy if we could go into the year and not see an obvious loss when I looked at the schedule.  So I should be happy, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Pain threshold
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
I have the strange feeling that Gus is going to pull out all the stops against UDub and LSU.  His team will be sitting at 8-0 with aTm coming to town...and the wheels will then fall off, finishing 1-3.  Then half the Auburn fans will be happy with 9-3 and the other half will be calling for Gus' head on a platter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
I'm not shaking in my shoes at the thought of playing UW.  Peterson is about all they have going for them.  Trying to name the last UW QB that lived up to any kind of hype and I get: Tuiasosopo, Locker and this kid Browning.  Yawn.

Their leading returning receiver caught approx 250 yards last year and the pressure will be on their running game to keep them in this one.  Our front seven helps me sleep well at night and I predict that UW will get tired of watching Brown, Davidson, Moultry, et al, pushing past them to plant Browning.

I predict UW scores 14 or fewer.

That leaves our offense to consider.  I have to believe that, with Stidham solidly in position as starter, we don't see the QB-twirly-shuffle this outing.  We have questions along the OL and starting the season against last year's #8 defense (#4 rushing/#32 passing) is no easy task, but they lost some guys and their relative weakness plays to our strength...if Chip will work the quick/intermediate passing game to help out his green OL.

I predict AU scores 24+.

The wildcard is our entirely new special teams units.  The family leg isn't a concern, but punting and coverage have been glaring weaknesses of late.  Assuming no snafus in this area, we win relatively comfortably.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
I have the strange feeling that Gus is going to pull out all the stops against UDub and LSU.  His team will be sitting at 8-0 with aTm coming to town...and the wheels will then fall off, finishing 1-3.  Then half the Auburn fans will be happy with 9-3 and the other half will be calling for Gus' head on a platter.
You know.  I think of 2010 and wonder what would have happened if Cam wasn't a super hero or if little Michael Dyer had tweaked an ankle.  I think of 2013 and wonder where that would have gone if Tre wasn't virtually indestructible.  

The man relies too much on the individual, asking too much of the body and mind, and does not have the TEAM prepared.  How many times do we see other teams suffer an injury or a suspension and then from the ashes comes some amazing performance from a backup become star?  And how many times have we seen the Gus Bus come crashing to a halt because one person wasn't 100%?  SEC Championship 2017 anyone?  Zero first down 2016?  

I could easily see this scenario taking place.  Go on a solid run, settle on a single running back and surrender the fact that no other player on the roster should ever touch the ball and then that guy goes down late.  

Hope springs eternal, but reality bites.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:42:07 AM »

LSU is another huge question.  Losing to them last season was inexcusable.  Orgeron promises on one hand to go back to caveman football and try to out-ugly Alabama. Then Ensminger comes out and says they're "gonna throw first and run if it's there..."

LSU opens with Miami and that could go either way. 

I'm worried even less about LSU than I am about UW.  But for Gus, we cruised to a 40+ point victory last year. 

Love that Ensminger is the mouth of the O (either one.)  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »

I'm worried even less about LSU than I am about UW.  But for Gus, we cruised to a 40+ point victory last year. 

Love that Ensminger is the mouth of the O (either one.) 
Not sure about UW but agree with you 100% on this we will beat LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
Sept. 1: vs. Washington (in Atlanta)  U
Sept. 8: vs. Alabama State W
Sept. 15: vs. LSU W
Sept. 22: vs. Arkansas W
Sept. 29: vs. Southern Miss W
Oct. 6: at Mississippi State W
Oct. 13: vs. Tennessee W
Oct. 20: at Ole Miss W
Nov. 3: vs. Texas A&M W
Nov. 10: at Georgia U
Nov. 17: vs. Liberty W
Nov. 24: at Alabama U

Honestly, I'm really only worried about Washington and the usual two, but I think they are winnable, just going to be tough games.  So anywhere from possibly undefeated to 9-3.  I don't think we go undefeated but probably 10-2, hopefully, 11-1
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
I'm saying 8-3-1.  12-5 at worst.  But we'll certainly get a wildcard spot.  I'm just hoping all the new rule  changes work in our favor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
I'm saying 8-3-1.  12-5 at worst.  But we'll certainly get a wildcard spot.  I'm just hoping all the new rule  changes work in our favor.
Come on man.  At least be realistic in your predictions.  No way we make a wildcard spot this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
Well with my prediction means we will probably be 7-5.

Who do we tie btw?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 11:12:03 AM »
Sept. 1: vs. Washington (in Atlanta)  U
Sept. 8: vs. Alabama State W
Sept. 15: vs. LSU W
Sept. 22: vs. Arkansas W
Sept. 29: vs. Southern Miss W
Oct. 6: at Mississippi State W
Oct. 13: vs. Tennessee W
Oct. 20: at Ole Miss W
Nov. 3: vs. Texas A&M W
Nov. 10: at Georgia U
Nov. 17: vs. Liberty W
Nov. 24: at Alabama U

Honestly, I'm really only worried about Washington and the usual two, but I think they are winnable, just going to be tough games.  So anywhere from possibly undefeated to 9-3.  I don't think we go undefeated but probably 10-2, hopefully, 11-1
I had a conversation with someone I consider to be pretty rational yesterday who just in general said "I see ya'll are playing Southern Miss.  That's probably a win if you're playing at home.  It's tough to play in Hattiesburg though..."  

:blink:

It's like the last 28 years never existed and Brett Favre still plays there.  The Golden Fleabags have a grand total of two wins in the last 18 years against the SEC.  Before blanking Alabama in 2000 they'd lost eight straight against SEC competition.  

Even during the God and Glory Favre years, the Mustard Buzzards went 5-7 against the SEC.  Two of those wins were against Mississippi State, one against Alabama and two -- one-point wins against Auburn. 

I was at both.  Led 12-0 in the fourth quarter because we kept kicking field goals and that ratty Ken Stabler wannabe led two late drives and they scored with under a minute left to take the lead.  Played super conservative in the 10-9 game and Stan White failed on a two point pass with about two minutes left (Dye didn't play for the tie).  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
I had a conversation with someone I consider to be pretty rational yesterday who just in general said "I see ya'll are playing Southern Miss.  That's probably a win if you're playing at home.  It's tough to play in Hattiesburg though..." 

:blink:

It's like the last 28 years never existed and Brett Favre still plays there.  The Golden Fleabags have a grand total of two wins in the last 18 years against the SEC.  Before blanking Alabama in 2000 they'd lost eight straight against SEC competition. 

Even during the God and Glory Favre years, the Mustard Buzzards went 5-7 against the SEC.  Two of those wins were against Mississippi State, one against Alabama and two -- one-point wins against Auburn. 

I was at both.  Led 12-0 in the fourth quarter because we kept kicking field goals and that ratty Ken Stabler wannabe led two late drives and they scored with under a minute left to take the lead.  Played super conservative in the 10-9 game and Stan White failed on a two point pass with about two minutes left (Dye didn't play for the tie). 
So you are telling me we are going to lose to Southern Miss then....fuck there goes the wildcard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
So you are telling me we are going to lose to Southern Miss then....fuck there goes the wildcard.
Nah.  We good.  I won't go to that one.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »
So you are telling me we are going to lose to Southern Miss then....fudge there goes the wildcard.
Naah...that's who we tie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 12:45:24 PM »
Quick, name Liberty's mascot.  Now don't you google.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 01:37:16 PM »
Belle
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
The Flames which is where they think all us heathens are going when we die. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 03:02:22 PM »

We’re going down, down in an earlier round

And Sugar, we’re going down swinging
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
Belle
I myself never much cared for Colonel Angus. He rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why. Can't put my finger on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
I myself never much cared for Colonel Angus. He rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why. Can't put my finger on it.
I don't know we haven't seen Col. Angus around these parts for years
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum