AL.com's Pre-Season All SEC Defense
« on: June 18, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
NOT.
ONE.
FIRST.
TEAM.
AUBURN.
DL.

Russell and Brown are 2nd team.  DeShaun Davis the only other Auburn mention (2nd Team LB).

Laughable.

https://www.al.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/06/b957342fc39790/meet_the_72nd_annual_preseason.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:58:15 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: AL.com's Pre-Season All SEC Defense
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
Kevin Steele had 70 put on him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
NOT.
ONE.
FIRST.
TEAM.
AUBURN.
DL.

Russell and Brown are 2nd team.  DeShaun Davis the only other Auburn mention (2nd Team LB).

Laughable.

https://www.al.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/06/b957342fc39790/meet_the_72nd_annual_preseason.html
Comparing Auburn's #s with Alabama's on Defense...Auburn has 3 among the list. Alabama has 2. #Boom
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Color me seriously shocked.  Only 1 bammer DL on the 1st team?  I fully expected to read names of their freshmen DL and LB that I have never heard before on this list.  Did somebody stop providing the kool aid?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
The offense doesn't surprise me.  Lack of people named on defense does.

I think this will be the best defense Auburn has had since Thomas Tuberville roamed the plains. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »

I think this will be the best defense Auburn has had since Thomas Tuberville roamed the plains.
You misspelled Terry Bowden
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »

IMO they'll resemble "The Nasty Boys" of '04.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
What excites me is the plug and play depth of our front seven. We truly have quality reserves without any obvious dropoff.
No worries on this side of the ball, not even the DB's. We will overcome any number deficiencies there with talent and damn fine coaching.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
What excites me is the plug and play depth of our front seven. We truly have quality reserves without any obvious dropoff.
No worries on this side of the ball, not even the DB's. We will overcome any number deficiencies there with talent and damn fine coaching.
Now I remember you. You are the guy that believes that we can never have enough cornerbacks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »
IMO they'll resemble "The Nasty Boys" of '04.
Troof!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:20:57 AM »
Still salty about the disrespect in this list.

Especially after reading this about Javaris Davis:

Opposing quarterbacks had just a 44.2 passer rating when targeting Davis last season, which ranked fourth in the SEC, according to PFF. Among 30 qualifying corners, he also ranked first in the league in yards allowed per snap in coverage (0.50) and yards after catch allowed (17), and was 11th in coverage snaps per receptions allowed (13). In regard to the yards allowed after the catch, Davis never allowed more than 5 yards total after the catch in a single game last season, according to PFF, including eight games with 1 or fewer yards allowed post-catch.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/07/auburn_mvp_10_javaris_davis.html#incart_river_index
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
Here's a little love for Javaris.  I know watch lists don't mean a ton but at least they're recognizing this guy's work.  Snippet from the dot  I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth.

Two Auburn defenders were among the 85 players to be named to the Bednarik Award watch list.
Defensive tackle Dontavius Russell and cornerback Javaris Davis were among those recognized on the preseason watch list for the award, which has never been won by an Auburn player and is presented annually to the nation's top defensive player.
Russell had 46 tackles with 6.5 for loss including three sacks as a redshirt-junior and Davis had 29 tackles with six pass breakups, two interceptions and forced a fumble last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »
Was reading Deshaun Davis's praise for the DLine and caught this nugget.  No way this is true...is it???

The addition of Moultry should complement the returning starters -- Russell, Brown and Davidson -- up front from a unit that helped produce the program's best defense since 2008.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/07/auburn_nations_best_dl.html#incart_river_index

I've managed to forget most of '08 and '12 for obvious reasons, but surely we had a defense in the last ten years that was better than '08???

I remember there being a lot of talent and the narrative being that the D got tired of holding the line ($1 to Dave Paich), but were they statistically better than any other D Auburn fielded between then and '17?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:47:02 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »
Was reading Deshaun Davis's praise for the DLine and caught this nugget.  No way this is true...is it???

The addition of Moultry should complement the returning starters -- Russell, Brown and Davidson -- up front from a unit that helped produce the program's best defense since 2008.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/07/auburn_nations_best_dl.html#incart_river_index

I've managed to forget most of '08 and '12 for obvious reasons, but surely we had a defense in the last ten years that was better than '08???

I remember there being a lot of talent and the narrative being that the D got tired of holding the line ($1 to Dave Paich), but were they statistically better than any other D Auburn fielded between then and '17?
The deal is, until we hired Steele, there wasn't a D that held a candle to anything Tuberville put on the field.  Not even close.  Not even in the 2010 championship year, or the 2013 seconds away from MNC year.  Our D has sucked balls since CTT left..until Steele got here.  Yes, it's been 10+ years since Auburn put a legit D on the field.  Now, the "experts", are saying the D should keep them in games until the O-line gels.  Suddenly, our defense is keeping opposing offenses in the teens, on average. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
The deal is, until we hired Steele, there wasn't a D that held a candle to anything Tuberville put on the field.  Not even close.  Not even in the 2010 championship year, or the 2013 seconds away from MNC year.  Our D has sucked balls since CTT left..until Steele got here.  Yes, it's been 10+ years since Auburn put a legit D on the field.  Now, the "experts", are saying the D should keep them in games until the O-line gels.  Suddenly, our defense is keeping opposing offenses in the teens, on average.
Let's compare Total O to Total D since 2008:

Year    Total O Rank    Total D Rank      Final Record
2008    105                26                      (5-7)
2009    16                  82                      (8-5...Outback Bowl Win)
2010                  94                    (14-0...BCSNC)
2011    91                  91                      (8-5...Chick-Fil-A Bowl Win)
2012    117                64                      (3-9)
2013    7                   115                  (12-2...SEC Champ)
2014    17                  58                      (8-5....Outback Bowl Loss)
2015    80                  85                      (7-6...Bham Bowl Win)
2016    43                  18                      (8-5...Sugar Bowl Loss)
2017    15                  25                      (10-4...Chick-Fil-A Loss/SECW Champs)

I don't know that you can take much from this except that (under Gus) offense wins championships (or at least it warms the cockles of my heart), contrary to popular opinion.  A great defense with a stalling, inept offense won't do shit for you.  Just ask Will Muschamp's Gaytors.  The best of both worlds is the trend in the last two years where Steele shores up the D (two top-25 finishes ain't shabby) and the O gets its collective shit together.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:49:16 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
The bottom line is D.  We've sucked since CTT until Steele got here.  No matter the offense.  Steele put us on sub 20 a game D.  No way you win championships without it.  Steele has us there.  Need an O-Line.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 01:14:40 PM »
I got curious so I looked up the Total Offense and Total Defense rankings of the last 10 national champions.

https://www.sports-reference.com

YEARTEAMTOTAL OTOTAL D
2008FLORIDA44
2009ALABAMA212
2010AUBURN753
2011ALABAMA201
2012ALABAMA121
2013FLORIDA STATE12
2014OHIO STATE526
2015ALABAMA302
2016CLEMSON1410
2017ALABAMA291

Conclusion: It is great to have a great offense, but you really need a top 10 defense to win it all. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:31:52 PM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
Let's compare Total O to Total D since 2008:

Year    Total O Rank    Total D Rank      Final Record
2008    105                26                      (5-7)
2009    16                  82                      (8-5...Outback Bowl Win)
2010                  94                    (14-0...BCSNC)
2011    91                  91                      (8-5...Chick-Fil-A Bowl Win)
2012    117                64                      (3-9)
2013    7                   115                  (12-2...SEC Champ)
2014    17                  58                      (8-5....Outback Bowl Loss)
2015    80                  85                      (7-6...Bham Bowl Win)
2016    43                  18                      (8-5...Sugar Bowl Loss)
2017    15                  25                      (10-4...Chick-Fil-A Loss/SECW Champs)

I don't know that you can take much from this except that (under Gus) offense wins championships (or at least it warms the roosterles of my heart), contrary to popular opinion.  A great defense with a stalling, inept offense won't do shoot for you.  Just ask Will Muschamp's Gaytors.  The best of both worlds is the trend in the last two years where Steele shores up the D (two top-25 finishes ain't shabby) and the O gets its collective shoot together.
I remember 2008 better, because there was a kick ass D on the field for approximately 84.239% of the games.
I remember almost nothing from 2012, because the beer, whiskey and meade took over my brain that season.

The biggest difference I can take from those 2 was that the '08 team won in Starkville with only a field goal and the defense didn't make it as close as it actually was...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »

Conclusion: It is great to have a great offense, but you really need a top 10 defense to win it all.

That's why I qualified with "(under Gus) offense wins championships."

He's an outlier in that respect because he got us to the big game, and within :03 of the crystal, with the 115th ranked defense.  Won it all with a D in the ranked in the 90s.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
2010 was a strange year defensively.  Everybody on that front 7 was a senior with the exception of Nick Fairley, who was the most disruptive player in the game that year.  But, they still gave up 30+ four or five times.  They somehow just knew how to turn it on when it counted. I still remember several games, like Clemson, USCe & Bama where the coaches were quoted as saying they really didn't have to do much of anything in those games.  The players just stayed calm and talked to each other about what they had to do.  Then, went out and executed. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions