Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tiger Woods swung a golf club!!!

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Tiger Woods swung a golf club!!!
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »
On the golf thingy, Dothan hosts the Press Thornton Future Masters tourney every year. It's a pretty big deal on the amateur circuit and draws over 500 golfers from around the country and world. They have 10 and under categories up to the 15-18 year old groups.  Some big PGA names have come through over the years all the way back to Hubert Green, who Sani mentioned his passing the other day.  Anyway, it's going on this week and a buddy of mine is helping with it. 

He said there was an 8 year old yesterday that played 9 holes.  My friend said before he teed off, he asked who was going to keep his score.  First clue.  The kid then proceeded to shank, spray and otherwise, chili-dip every shot on his way to a 95 on the front 9.  They pulled the application and resume the Dad had sent in to get him accepted and started back checking.  Made the whole thing up.  Said the boy had won two local tournaments in their home state of Texas.  So, this "Dad", worked up a fake resume and drove his 8 year old son here all the way from Texas to get his kid yanked off the course after 9 holes so he wouldn't kill somebody with one of his next shots. 

Cool story, brah.  Shitty Dad, bro.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
On the golf thingy, Dothan hosts the Press Thornton Future Masters tourney every year. It's a pretty big deal on the amateur circuit and draws over 500 golfers from around the country and world. They have 10 and under categories up to the 15-18 year old groups.  Some big PGA names have come through over the years all the way back to Hubert Green, who Sani mentioned his passing the other day.  Anyway, it's going on this week and a buddy of mine is helping with it.

He said there was an 8 year old yesterday that played 9 holes.  My friend said before he teed off, he asked who was going to keep his score.  First clue.  The kid then proceeded to shank, spray and otherwise, chili-dip every shot on his way to a 95 on the front 9.  They pulled the application and resume the Dad had sent in to get him accepted and started back checking.  Made the whole thing up.  Said the boy had won two local tournaments in their home state of Texas.  So, this "Dad", worked up a fake resume and drove his 8 year old son here all the way from Texas to get his kid yanked off the course after 9 holes so he wouldn't kill somebody with one of his next shots.

Cool story, brah.  Shitty Dad, bro.
Don't pick on WE!!! man, he just wants his kids to be good at sports.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
Don't pick on WE!!! man, he just wants his kids to be good at sports.

he's a legacy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
On the golf thingy, Dothan hosts the Press Thornton Future Masters tourney every year. It's a pretty big deal on the amateur circuit and draws over 500 golfers from around the country and world. They have 10 and under categories up to the 15-18 year old groups.  Some big PGA names have come through over the years all the way back to Hubert Green, who Sani mentioned his passing the other day.  Anyway, it's going on this week and a buddy of mine is helping with it.

He said there was an 8 year old yesterday that played 9 holes.  My friend said before he teed off, he asked who was going to keep his score.  First clue.  The kid then proceeded to shank, spray and otherwise, chili-dip every shot on his way to a 95 on the front 9.  They pulled the application and resume the Dad had sent in to get him accepted and started back checking.  Made the whole thing up.  Said the boy had won two local tournaments in their home state of Texas.  So, this "Dad", worked up a fake resume and drove his 8 year old son here all the way from Texas to get his kid yanked off the course after 9 holes so he wouldn't kill somebody with one of his next shots.

Cool story, brah.  shootty Dad, bro.
You know who that guy was, Danny?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »
You know who that guy was, Danny?
Bob Hope?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Bob Hope?
No, Mitch Cumstein.  My old roommate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2018, 09:39:56 AM »
Two more tournaments.  Two more TIGER IS BACK, TIGER IS oh, no, umm, yeah finishes.  

Again the lead is how he performed.  The winners are afterthoughts.  

At some point this has to end.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »

At some point this has to end. 

It will the moment he ceases to impact the PGA's bottom line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »

Does he?  Is there still anyone who is swayed by his endorsements?  Does anyone actually watch the game to see him (other than to revel in his failure?)  

It's one of those chicken/egg things to me.  Is there interest because he's all they ever freaking show or is the reason he's all they freaking show is because of the intense interest?   I tend to think that the "interest" is manufactured by the coverage that's provided.  

It's kind of like that stupid horse they slobbered over a few years back.  I can't even remember its name now. But it was all over the news because allegedly people wanted second-by-second updates.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
First off, I acknowledge and completely get the guy's impact on the sport.  Not going to argue that for a second.  But K is right.  ESPN's Sports Center coverage this morning of the final round results, started with showing about 10 of Tiger's shots, then some comments from his post round interview saying he didn't play very well.  The man wasn't a factor from the start.  He finished 31st. 

Then, they showed a few shots from the winner.

Here's the thing.  Woods may come back and win some tourneys and cause some excitement.  And that will be nothing but good for the game. But, he's starting to get up in age and his overall health is precarious at best. Tiger ain't gonna be around forever.  There are a ton of really young golfers who are just plain better than he is right now.  If they don't start putting more emphasis on them and building them up and stop splooging over Tiger's 5 over rounds, the game is going to take a huge dip when he goes out for his next back surgery.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
Does he?  Is there still anyone who is swayed by his endorsements?  Does anyone actually watch the game to see him (other than to revel in his failure?) 

In a word: yes.  Millions of them.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »

In a word: yes.  Millions of them.
Prove it.  

I've yet to find anybody who really cares what he says or does any more.  I don't watch much golf (hardly any) but I would like to turn the TV on (wither to the tournament or to SportsCenter) and know the story.  Who won, who played well, if there were any of those "I can't believe he made it" shots that are worth seeing.  But if I've got to slog through clips of that relic missing five foot putts, dumping one into the sand, chili dipping out of the grass... hell, I can see that at Timber Creek any day of the week.  So I turn it off.  

I refuse to believe there's a huge market for that outside the network meeting rooms. 

It's like Taylor Swift fans.  I've yet to meet a single person who enjoys her music.  So who's buying her terrible albums?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »
Prove it. 

I've yet to find anybody who really cares what he says or does any more.  I don't watch much golf (hardly any) but I would like to turn the TV on (wither to the tournament or to SportsCenter) and know the story.  Who won, who played well, if there were any of those "I can't believe he made it" shots that are worth seeing.  But if I've got to slog through clips of that relic missing five foot putts, dumping one into the sand, chili dipping out of the grass... hell, I can see that at Timber Creek any day of the week.  So I turn it off. 

I refuse to believe there's a huge market for that outside the network meeting rooms.

It's like Taylor Swift fans.  I've yet to meet a single person who enjoys her music.  So who's buying her terrible albums? 
Well, if you haven't found the fans in your extensive searching, then I'm sure they just don't exist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »

And this sir you are absolutely correct about.

Opinions vary as to whether he is impacting their bottom line now or not. 
They believe that he is and until they believe different either through their own marketing data or someone else.  Free market will decide. 
If he is not affecting it and they hold the line too long thinking he does then they will pay the price literally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
Prove it. 

I actually cited examples on page 1, the same tournament I mentioned, ticket sales went through the roof when Woods agreed to play the tournament.  See one thing that you are forgetting is that for those that love him, there is an equal amount that hates him and wants to see him screw up.  Both follow him.

I totally agree that he is overhyped ad nauseam.  Agree with your premise.

But he brings the crowd and thus the $$
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:07:33 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
Well, if you haven't found the fans in your extensive searching, then I'm sure they just don't exist.
Thanks for confirming the obvious.  

No, seriously though.  I play golf.  I spend time in the clubhouses.  I've played in a dozen states in the last five or six years.  

Never heard a single person on any course, watching any round in the clubhouse claim to be a Tiger Woods fan.  Speith, Day, Phil, Watson, Rory, Rickie, Johnson... name almost any other golfer and there's been somebody bandwagoning them.  I just don't know who the Tiger fans are.  Never met one. 

Doesn't mean there aren't any, I just can't fathom some million-strong legion of Woods supporters out there.  I see what Godfather posted. I get that ticket sales went up because he played.  I'd just like to find that one guy who "loves" Tiger Woods.  Never seen one -- at least not since his wife beat him with a seven iron. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »

No, seriously though.  I play golf.  I spend time in the clubhouses.  I've played in a dozen states in the last five or six years. 

Never heard a single person on any course, watching any round in the clubhouse claim to be a Tiger Woods fan.  Speith, Day, Phil, Watson, Rory, Rickie, Johnson... name almost any other golfer and there's been somebody bandwagoning them.  I just don't know who the Tiger fans are.  Never met one.

Doesn't mean there aren't any, I just can't fathom some million-strong legion of Woods supporters out there.  I see what Godfather posted. I get that ticket sales went up because he played.  I'd just like to find that one guy who "loves" Tiger Woods.  Never seen one -- at least not since his wife beat him with a seven iron.
Tiger's fanbase may not overlap, in the Venn diagram sense, with the golf-playing country-club set.

Your sample is limited.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »

Never heard a single person on any course, watching any round in the clubhouse claim to be a Tiger Woods fan.  Speith, Day, Phil, Watson, Rory, Rickie, Johnson... name almost any other golfer and there's been somebody bandwagoning them.  I just don't know who the Tiger fans are.  Never met one.

I believe the wind pick up and she decided to go with a 6 iron.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
The delta in the ratings now and what they were when Rory and Phil went on a tear without Tiger - is not much.

Keyword - NOW. Not when he came back and people were curious and wondered about returning to previous form. Now we all know he’s not the tiger of yesteryear. 

Millions tune in , yes. But they also tune in to see the others. I do not think there are gazillions tuning in JUST to see him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:41:47 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
Tiger's fanbase may not overlap, in the Venn diagram sense, with the golf-playing country-club set.

Your sample is limited.
Why don't you just call him cracker?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions