Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Revisiting An Old Subject

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Revisiting An Old Subject
« on: January 30, 2018, 03:22:15 PM »
Cable/Dish/Direct/Hulu/ScrewYou....  I need recommendations on switching providers.  Something that makes more sense and doesn't cost so damn much.  Yep, we're still attached to teh cables.  We have our TV, Interwebz and phone bundled through WOW.  It's suited our needs up until now, but they've changed and so have we.  Slowly but Shirley, we've weeded out the land line, so we don't need that expense.  Our interwebbings are fine.  Fast enough.  No complaints.  But here's where WOW lost me.  Started noticing last month that there were several channels we weren't getting.  We have 4 total TV's in the house and 3 were not getting signals for about 8-10 channels.  I figured the problem had to be the one TV we were getting all the channels was the one with the digital box, which is on our main TV and gets 8,000,000 channels, which we watch about .0056% or 125/296,511ths of the time.   :thumsup:

So, when I call WOW, I hear exactly what I thought I would.  Gotta' have a box for each TV.  That's completely unnecessary and that also ain't happenin'.  Plus, my wonderful bundle is now popping me for just north of $240.00/month. Okay, so what to do?

Two things.  We are pretty basic in our TV watching.  What comes with basic cable just about covers my needs.  I want the local TV station for news etc.  I need my sports channels, some Discovery, Travel, HGTV for Chip and Joanna Gaines and so on.  40 selections or less satisfies the Snags.  Snagette needs about 1/3 of that.  The other thing is, and this is where I need some real input (After the old man/how do you download videos to facebook jokes)  Just about all the TV's in the house are 8-10 years old.  I keep hearing that everything now is a "Smart TV".  I'm going to assume that plays into my options some how on what I can switch to?  Am I going to have to cuss Alexa every time I want to change the channel?

Alexa, find me some Fixer Upper.  And make me a sandwich and bring me a beer.

I knew eventually I was going to have to drag my sorry ass into the 20th Century.  And yes, I'm kicking and screaming.  So, laugh away and tell me what I need.  Go!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Revisiting An Old Subject
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »
My bundled cable bill just topped out at $202/month and I can't even watch teh ESPNU's unless I hit the WatchESPN app on my AppleTV.  You reminded me with this thread that it is past due time for me to call and threaten to drop Charter so I can get the asshole discount.

I have seriously thought about just keeping their phone and wifis, and getting an HDTV antenna for the attic for local channels and trying to find a streaming device that would give me all the sports programming and TruTV for me and Hallmark/HGTV for the skirt.  I just figured in the long run I would pay about the same anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
We have DISH. Got the Hopper and get HD in all the rooms (4). One room is a Super Joey(their box name) so I can still record a show if all TVs are in use.  We rarely lose signal. With DISH I can watch things on my TV or DVR from anywhere. I watched to abomination of an uga game in 16 form Doha, Qatar on my tablet.

I now have Comcast internet. They have been fine. Only time I see difference is when somebody is watching Netflix while another is playing Xbox online.

Still have the land line. Can't talk the wife out of it! We get poor reception down in the valley we are in. 

HD with a DVR is a must.

Ask for great deals. Jew them down. You are a lawyer, right!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »
We have DISH. Got the Hopper and get HD in all the rooms (4). One room is a Super Joey(their box name) so I can still record a show if all TVs are in use.  We rarely lose signal. With DISH I can watch things on my TV or DVR from anywhere. I watched to abomination of an uga game in 16 form Doha, Qatar on my tablet.

I now have Comcast internet. They have been fine. Only time I see difference is when somebody is watching Netflix while another is playing Xbox online.

Still have the land line. Can't talk the wife out of it! We get poor reception down in the valley we are in. 

HD with a DVR is a must.

Ask for great deals. Jew them down. You are a lawyer, right!

You can't say Jew them down.  He can't say that, can he?  Can he say that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
A box for each TV is just not feasible.  I have one mounted on a brick wall on my back porch.  Nowhere to put a box anyway.  The one in the bedroom is very small, like my willie....wait, what?  And there's literally no place for a digital box to go there either.  I definitely don't want to lose the two local channels, no matter what I switch to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
You can't say Jew them down.  He can't say that, can he?  Can he say that?

Just don't tell 'em you're Jewish, okay Wang?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »
A box for each TV is just not feasible.  I have one mounted on a brick wall on my back porch.  Nowhere to put a box anyway.  The one in the bedroom is very small, like my willie....wait, what?  And there's literally no place for a digital box to go there either.  I definitely don't want to lose the two local channels, no matter what I switch to.

Hmm. The old DISH system just used the existing cable wires to the rooms, but no HD. And DISH has all local channels. At least mine does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »
I have DirecTV. 

Would probably get rid of it and try to go all streaming, but I don't understand all that hootenannny stuff.  There's a main box in the house somewhere.  The rest of the boxes are these little tiny things that are about the size of a pack of cards. 

This is what my bill looks like and I'm about to take a sword to it. 

DIRECTV Channels
1.   PREMIER   158.99
2.   DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK   4.99
3.   RSN$6.64   6.64
SUBTOTAL   170.62
DIRECTV Equipment Services
4.   Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs   21.00
4 TVs at $7 each; Save $7 off 1st TV   
5.   Advanced Receiver Service - HD   10.00
6.   DIRECTV Protection Plan   7.99
7.   Advanced Receiver Service - DVR   10.00
8.   DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service   3.00
SUBTOTAL   51.99
Other Charges, Adjustments & Taxes
9.   Late Fee on 01/14   4.25
Taxes
10.   Sales Tax   3.41
SUBTOTAL   7.66
Total New Charges   230.27

The late fee?  Ummm, eat my dick.  I paid the bill on the 10th.  They take it out of my account directly.  They shorted the payment thirty one cents and jacked me with a late fee.  So thanks for getting me to look at this. 

I really think I could do better.  I have all the movie channels, but I don't watch them very often.  I really only watch about five or six channels.  The rest is just garbage to me.    I don't want to lose HBO because of Game of Thrones, but damn.  It won't be on for another year, so that's hundreds of bucks chasing after that.  I could just take it off and add it back, I guess. 

I'd probably be better off with some internet thing.  I dunno.  Again, don't know how it works.  Plus if I drop DirecTV altogether, I lose unlimited data on my phone plans -- so.... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
I have the same setup as CCTAU just 3 hours behind and ditched the landline...though bought Ooma and ported our existing handline which is all handled VOIP.

I pay 60 for Dish.  America's Top 120 with the friends package.   I pay 50 for Comcast 250mps service and Ooma is costing about 10.   

We have only 1 TV connected to the Dish though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only schmo getting bilked for over 2 bills.  I was almost embarrassed to post that.  Yes, it comes out of my account and honestly, I've never really paid that much attention to it until recently.  I know there's got to be a better package, but I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to a lot of technology.  I'm hesitant to change because your world frightens and amazes me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:41:15 PM »
I have the Comcast with 1 Xfinity1 HD "mother" box with recording and 1 "sister" box that you can do all the same things as the "mother" box except record.  Now you can watch anything you have recorded, just can't do the recording.  The main box is in the family room with the other in the man cave/theater.  Now, since Comcast decided to screw everyone, I had to get 4 digital converter boxes for bedrooms.  1 of those is free, the others, $20.00 total charge.  Internet is good but $11.00 for the modem.  House phone was good use because my kids didn't have cell phones, they do now.  I dropped the digital converters and am paying for Netflix in the bedrooms. I also have the firestick and jailbroke it.  In all, my Comcast bill was about $220.00 a month.  Got the number from the local office to call the jerk line to get a better rate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »
Go here (https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps) and see what is coming in OTA in your neck of the woods and get a good antenna positioned to maximize your local coverage.  You will be surprised at the quality of the HD signal that costs you nothing on a monthly basis.  This will take care of your need for local channels/news.

Max out your internet plan (pro tip: to avoid throttling/data caps, get the "business" package) and get yourself schooled up on Kodi and its various add-ons.  There's your free shows and movies.

Live sports (those not available on your local OTA signal...ESPN, mostly) is still the kicker.  You'll need a valid cable/sat account (or someone's credentials) to get that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only schmo getting bilked for over 2 bills.  I was almost embarrassed to post that.  Yes, it comes out of my account and honestly, I've never really paid that much attention to it until recently.  I know there's got to be a better package, but I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to a lot of technology.  I'm hesitant to change because your world frightens and amazes me.

Oh, it's humiliating. I'm ashamed of it.  But it's what I do.

I'd love to ditch the whole thing and just do ala carte.  But the Roku confuses me.  Every time I try to watch something at my daughters on it, the thing wants money or a password. 

I could honestly get by with
Locals
USA
TNT
AMC
A&E
FOX-News
HGTV
Food
GSN (Match Game)
HBO when GOT or Veep is on
ION
SyFy
Hallmark (Christmas)
Whatever channel shows Hoarding and Intervention
TVLand

and
Some history channel, don't care which, that shows WW2 stuff occasionally

What DirecTV doesn't have are things like MeTV and those networks that show shit like Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Six Million Dollar Man, Big Valley, Bionic Woman, Hogan's Heroes, Gilligan, Hawaii Five-0, Mannix, Ironsides, Jake and the Fatman, Batman, Mission Impossible, Mr. Ed...   I'd watch that.  Just as filler. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »
I have all of the premium channels in my package and the fastest internet I can get.

We have unlimited data/usage on our cell phone plan too.

I have no idea what all of this costs but I can tell from the comments here that it is really apples and oranges here for me.

There sure are a lot of down right indigent people here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 07:49:26 PM »
I had Directv for years.

Finally got tired of paying over 200 a month for not that great of a package.

Cut the cord back in November. I get a high speed internet connection that I need anyway for work then use Netflix ($8), Sling ($20), and Amazon Prime streaming (90 for the year) on my roku and Apple TV. Also have a powered antenna that picks up about 18 channels including the big 3, fox and the channels and shows K mentioned from yesteryear.

Sling is what is gonna mimic your cable or dish as far as channels and the familiar looking channel guide. They have two packages - orange and blue, 20 and 25 respectively. Or 40 for both. Or you can get one of them and add channels you want ala carte like sec network, etc.

Works for me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:55:13 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bgreene

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »

Sling is what is gonna mimic your cable or dish as far as channels and the familiar looking channel guide. They have two packages - orange and blue, 20 and 25 respectively. Or 40 for both. Or you can get one of them and add channels you want ala carte like sec network, etc.

Do Sling cover the entire house for that price, or is it per TV?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
How disconcerting is it to not watch something when it’s on? 

I work from home.  I like the background noise so I find a channel — USA and L&O SVU is a staple so are the murder shows on ID — and just have it going.  Don’t even really WATCH per se. it’s just on.  If I had to go into like Netflix and pick shows I think it would be overload. Already now when we go to watch a movie we have to sort through amazon, netflix, vudu and then all the movies. By the time we pick it’s taken as long as the movie and I don’t care any more. 

Can I get used to the other?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
Do Sling cover the entire house for that price, or is it per TV?

Never really thought about it but I've used it in multiple rooms on multiple devices. Not at the same time though. All you do is fire up the app from whatever streaming device you use (Apple TV, roku, firestick, smart tv) and just log in one time. I will say you don't need to go that route with a slow internet connection. It won't work well. So wiregrass is out of luck on his prodigy dial up acct.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
How disconcerting is it to not watch something when it’s on? 

I work from home.  I like the background noise so I find a channel — USA and L&O SVU is a staple so are the murder shows on ID — and just have it going.  Don’t even really WATCH per se. it’s just on.  If I had to go into like Netflix and pick shows I think it would be overload. Already now when we go to watch a movie we have to sort through amazon, netflix, vudu and then all the movies. By the time we pick it’s taken as long as the movie and I don’t care any more. 

Can I get used to the other?

I haven't gotten used to it.  Frankly, the net result is that I'm watching far less tv.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
Everything's all ball bearings these days anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions