Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The farce of the CMA awards

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
The farce of the CMA awards
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
Been talking to a couple on here this morning about this travesty that occurred last night.

Other than being irritated with the unfunny paisley/underwood schtick (yes I'm aware she's hot) - the quality and reasoning behind the show, the performances, who they acknowledge and the bewildering criteria behind who wins - it's all a travesty. And mind boggling.

I'm not a huge fan of "new Nashville country". I have my reasons - much of it having to do with my family's history in bluegrass and country music. I grew up idolizing my grandparents and great uncles who could play anything and everything. Good enough that they occasionally would join some of the more famous artists of the time for sessions and concerts. That aside, I haven't been content with the genre since Garth came along and took it to the shitter.

That said, I've made of it what I can if the artist is remotely decent - picking out their good stuff and rolling with it. Artists like Brad Paisley, Luke, Kenny, Aldean even newer ones like Rhett and Stapleton.

But.....the Cma awards are apparently devoid of even being able to deliver those guys to the stage. Last night was the Garth and Keith Urban show. Urban has talent. He can kill a guitar. And can carry a tune decently. But he's from Australia, looks like a chick and has totally sold out to writing love ballads these days. Booooo. 

Garth? I will say it. He's a no talent hack. He has average at best instrument skills. His over the top synthesized twangy voice is not good. His theatrics on stage make me want to vomit. He has been the benefactor of great choreographers, sound engineers and record producers who have great marketing skills and ties to radio station owners. He has released one album in recent memory. And one single that has gotten airplay. His tour just started this fall and has had issues with sound quality thus far. And this asshat gets Entertainer of the year last night. An absolute fail. Look up the definition of what that award means. I don't like everything Eric church puts out but he's legit and about half of his material resembles the genre. And frankly his concert tours the last two years have been stuff of legend. That's an entertainer. Kenny Chesney is an entertainer. KISS are entertainers. Mick Jagger is an entertainer. Garth Brooks is a desperate joke.

George, Hank, Lefty, Merle and many others are rolling in their graves. Not because of the evolution of country music and the aforementioned artists. But because there is a system in place in nashvegas that annoints someone like Garth to be the standard bearer for the genre for over twenty years regardless of what he does or how awful he is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: The farce of the CMA awards
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »
Didn’t watch. Have never really paid much attt to award shows.

Interesting to learn about your family history.

No fan of today’s radio and I simply don’t care about their political views.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
I watched about an hour of it.  Far less entertaining than some of the other country award shows. Hell, one of the best songs I saw performed was by Pink.

Agree with GH.  I'm not a big fan of today's country or the country music of just about any generation.  There are several artists from any time period I can pick out and really enjoy.  But, the only time I listen to it for any length of time is when Snagette is in the car and threatening to throw my balls out the window if I don't change the channel.  Then, I love me some country.  One thing I do love is a good concert just about regardless of what the genre is.

Anyway, I also echo GH's sentiments on Keith Urban. Extremely talented guitar player and musician.  But, his music hasn't remotely resembled anything to do with country in years.  Go check out "The Fighter". It recently hit #1 and has about as much relation to country as Hip Hop.  At least throw in a fiddle to make it look like you're trying.  Garth?  Jeez Louise!  Seriously???  I was never a fan of his anyway, but since he came back, it's like an old Larry Holmes stepping into the ring with young Mike Tyson.  Dude, you should have stayed retired.  But EOY???  He can't even sing on key anymore.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
How come no one ever echos my sentiments around here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
"Country" music died the moment that piece of shit fraud Garth Brooks waddled out on stage. 

Everything about him is phony. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »

You really have to ask?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
New phone.  Who dis?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:39:04 AM »
"Country" music died the moment that piece of shit fraud Garth Brooks waddled out on stage. 

Everything about him is phony.

Including his performance at the very awards show that gave him the biggest prize of the night.

https://www.today.com/popculture/garth-brooks-wins-cma-award-admits-lip-syncing-during-performance-t118585

Lamest excuse I've ever heard. Pudding pop just started touring. His voice should be fresh. Mick Jagger and Gregg allman used to keep that kind of busy schedule for decades. Makes you wonder if this is some of the reason behind the "technical sound issues" at his concerts so far. Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:41:54 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
On one of the shows last year, I told Snagette that Rascal Flatts was definitely lip syncing.  They weren't even faking it well.  Came out the next day that they were.  So now, the almighty Entertainer of the Year ain't even entertaining? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »
There are a lot of good artists out there. They just aren't getting play time.

This guy comes up with some good original stuff at times:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Token

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
Went and seen Aaron Lewis in Huntsville this past Sunday. That guy is more country than anyone in the country genre right now. And he puts on a hell of a show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »
Went and seen Aaron Lewis in Huntsville this past Sunday. That guy is more country than anyone in the country genre right now. And he puts on a hell of a show.

There are even some mainstream artists like Church and Paisley who are immensely talented at the trade but to satisfy record producers they have to sell the garbage half the time. Anyone who is a purist won't ever get known or if they do they will get ruined very shortly. Very few can pull off still being big while doing their own thing and not beholden to Nashville - yokam, Alan jackson, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »
Why didn't Walker Wheeler Jr. win anything?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »

Best insight yet in this thread
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

Bout time someone posted a good response.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
Why didn't Walker Wheeler Jr. win anything?

Earl Dibbles beat him out .....barely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
Earl Dibbles beat him out .....barely.
Dammit
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
Which one of those goobers gargled Amazing Grace at the beginning ? Whoever that was needs his dick shot off and fed to him through a straw. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
Which one of those goobers gargled Amazing Grace at the beginning ? Whoever that was needs his dick shot off and fed to him through a straw.

Eric church

Usually I like him. But he didn't need to be singing that one. It would be like hank jr singing a lullaby to your toddler. Church also totally effed up later on too singing some garbage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE