Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

How Good/Bad Are the Tigers?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: How Good/Bad Are the Tigers?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
Is Gus finally letting it be known that he's turned over the offense for reals?  On Devan Barrett:

"He's really came on," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "They've given him short roles, and I'm sure that will be added to because he's done a very good job."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/10/injuries_to_auburns_backfield.html#incart_river_index

He seems to be speaking of the offensive coaching staff as though he's not a part of the day-to-day operations.  Dare I dream that the production in the past two weeks is due to CL getting to run the offense free of Gus's heavy-handed input?

The 75 runs straight up the middle say no.  The repetitive abuse of injured backs without a break says nada.

I sincerely hope that's the case and I've said repeatedly that the only way we're successful is if Gus stays out of it.  My armchair QB observation is that Lindsey has a ton more input, but Gus is never going to let it go completely.  How could Kam Martin have 146 yards in one half and essentially never touch the ball again when the 2 lead backs are clearly injured?  When Carry On pulled up on that first drive, he should have never seen the field again. Kam Martin is a better back than a hurt Carry On.  Malik Miller is a better back than a Kam Pettway with plantar fasciitis. Devan Barrett may be a better back than Martin or Miller.

I'm with ya' Wes.  I hope it becomes Lindsey's offense completely.  But even he isn't dumb enough to use backs in this manner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
The 75 runs straight up the middle say no.  The repetitive abuse of injured backs without a break says nada.

I sincerely hope that's the case and I've said repeatedly that the only way we're successful is if Gus stays out of it.  My armchair QB observation is that Lindsey has a ton more input, but Gus is never going to let it go completely.  How could Kam Martin have 146 yards in one half and essentially never touch the ball again when the 2 lead backs are clearly injured?  When Carry On pulled up on that first drive, he should have never seen the field again. Kam Martin is a better back than a hurt Carry On.  Malik Miller is a better back than a Kam Pettway with plantar fasciitis. Devan Barrett may be a better back than Martin or Miller.

I'm with ya' Wes.  I hope it becomes Lindsey's offense completely.  But even he isn't dumb enough to use backs in this manner.

I'm not suggesting that we're watching some linear progression.

I think the Lindsey move to the booth was a statement.  And our offense seems to have had some spark since then.

I read that quote and it sounds like Gus is finally letting the O and D coordinators (or maybe just the O) do their thing while weighing in on crucial 3rd/4th downs and clock situations.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 11:15:06 PM »

Are you saying Gus can only call plays when the players he likes are healthy (Marshall, Mason) and talented? We allegedly hired him because he was an offensive miracle maker.  And now we want him to stay as far away from it as he can get?  Not that I disagree, but what good is he?   

We were a fucking machine in 2010 and 2013 and until A&M in 2014.  If we got the ball at our own one with four seconds left, I wasn't worried.  I confidently expected to score.   

In 2011 after we lost at Clemson?  We could have the ball at their one foot line, first down and 54 minutes to play.  I had no confidence we could score (other than field goals)  if we had ten downs to get in. 

2012 he wasn't here. 

We briefly had that same confidence against Bama in 2014, scoring pretty much at will -- except for the butt puckers in the red zone that kept us from hammering the brashness out of their stupid asses.  TDs instead of field goals and it's 45-21 midway through the third.  I don't know if they ever recover from that.  But no. 

After that, it's been either total fuctardery or blowing people's doors off.  I don't see how in the screaming lemon fuck you go from annihilating Arkansas 56-3 (an Arkansas team that was 5-2 at the time) on your way to climbing from unranked to #8 and an outside shot at the CFP and then get fucked over by an unranked Georgia team 13-7 -- IN THE SPAN OF THREE FUCKING WEEKS.  Georgia ended up 8-5 and lost to Vandy and got demolished by an Ole Miss team we handled easily. 

THAT'S the kind of shit that puts the stink on Gus.  That kind of shit right there.   We never know what we have because we don't know how or if they're going to fuck it up from week to week.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »
I love the defense...we've waited a long time to see a defense like this. The offense is starting to come around, Stidham is starting to look like the guy we were hoping for coming into the season. I love the occasional unpredictability on offense. 1st and 10 at your own 2 yard line? Play action, Bomb!!!!

I want to see the same offense this weekend...peddle to the fucking metal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 11:54:07 PM »
I love the defense...we've waited a long time to see a defense like this. The offense is starting to come around, Stidham is starting to look like the guy we were hoping for coming into the season. I love the occasional unpredictability on offense. 1st and 10 at your own 2 yard line? Play action, Bomb!!!!

I want to see the same offense this weekend...peddle to the fucking metal.

I don't think metal has any money.  Even if it did, I don't know what I could sell it.  Maybe some rustoleum?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 01:36:37 AM »
Gus stumbled upon Pettway out of the blue. Maybe we get the other three backs involved (another Malzahn epiphany) with Stidham and the O-line continuing to improve.

It just has to be evident to this moron that the two veterans should be on the shelf. How is it possible for him not to realize he's sabotaging amen corner long before we get there?

And as for having Chip in the booth, I'm all for that. Gus should just make sure all the right groups are on the field right?
Not by that strained, agonized look on his face until it was out of reach.

I think Lindsay is the spotter and merely making suggestions. Gus is still yapping on that headset...far too much.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:47:42 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »
Welcome back to Jordan Hare Stadium, where the Auburn Tigers lead Ole Miss 3-0 at the half in a surprisingly close game.  And as we promised, we have a special treat for you because we had Head Coach Gus Malzahn mic'd up for one series during the second quarter and we're going to play you the conversation between he and Offensive Coordinator, Chip Lindsey, who is up in the press box.  This will give the fans of college football some never heard before insight to what goes on in real time.  Let's take a listen:

CGM:  Chip, we only ran the ball up the middle 6 times on that last drive.

CCL:  I know Coach, but you told me I could call more plays.

CGM:  Yeeeah, I did.  But you know I've gotta' have my runs up the middle mixed in there.

CCL:  But it was only a 7 play drive.

CGM:  And that's good.  But, let's start this drive off with a hand off to Bubba up the middle.

CCL:  Coach, we've given it to him 17 times already.  He can barely walk as it is.

CGM:  I'm not asking him to walk. I want him to run up the middle.

CCL:  He's about to be out for the season.

CGM:  Yeeeah, well we're gonna' take a good look at that later in the week.  We haven't made a decision on that yet.

CCL:  What?

CGM: Alright, the little guy in the red hat is walking off the field. That usually means we're about to start.  Now hurry em' up to the line and run Bubba up the middle.

CCL:  But Coach, I thought I was calling plays.

CGM:  You are. You are.  Just let me get a few runs up the middle with Bubba and then you can let Jarrett throw one long to one of those....what do you call em'?

CCL:  Receivers, Coach.  Receivers.

CGM:  Yeah, receivers.  Now hurry, hurry, hurry, hurry.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »
I call BS.  There was not one "Run the play!  Run the play!" CGM quote in there
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
I call BS.  There was not one "Run the play!  Run the play!" CGM quote in there

You're right.  I was in a hurry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
What you dumbasses don't realize is that these plays are scripted. At least till the 3rd quarter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
What you dumbasses don't realize is that these plays are scripted. At least till the 3rd quarter.
I found the first page of the script from the Mercer game
Auburn vs. Mercer playlist
1.  Fake jet sweep, handoff to back.
2.  "
3.  "
4.  "
5.  "
6.  "
7.  "
-------------------------------------------
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
I'll trade Malzahn for a Waffle House cook. Hell just pay Al Borges, save some money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Come to think of it, when Al was doing the west coast thing here before we ran the ball, threw a heap to Ronnie and Caddy and mixed in the passing to the receivers quite well. Why is he on the staff?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
Welcome back to Jordan Hare Stadium, where the Auburn Tigers lead Ole Miss 3-0 at the half in a surprisingly close game.  And as we promised, we have a special treat for you because we had Head Coach Gus Malzahn mic'd up for one series during the second quarter and we're going to play you the conversation between he and Offensive Coordinator, Chip Lindsey, who is up in the press box.  This will give the fans of college football some never heard before insight to what goes on in real time.  Let's take a listen:

CGM:  Chip, we only ran the ball up the middle 6 times on that last drive.

CCL:  I know Coach, but you told me I could call more plays.

CGM:  Yeeeah, I did.  But you know I've gotta' have my runs up the middle mixed in there.

CCL:  But it was only a 7 play drive.

CGM:  And that's good.  But, let's start this drive off with a hand off to Bubba up the middle.

CCL:  Coach, we've given it to him 17 times already.  He can barely walk as it is.

CGM:  I'm not asking him to walk. I want him to run up the middle.

CCL:  He's about to be out for the season.

CGM:  Yeeeah, well we're gonna' take a good look at that later in the week.  We haven't made a decision on that yet.

CCL:  What?

CGM: Alright, the little guy in the red hat is walking off the field. That usually means we're about to start.  Now hurry em' up to the line and run Bubba up the middle.

CCL:  But Coach, I thought I was calling plays.

CGM:  You are. You are.  Just let me get a few runs up the middle with Bubba and then you can let Jarrett throw one long to one of those....what do you call em'?

CCL:  Receivers, Coach.  Receivers.

CGM:  Yeah, receivers.  Now hurry, hurry, hurry, hurry.....
Must say, this was a funny one. Chuckle worthy.

Even a blind hog can find an acorn every once in a while.

Finally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
You know what's going to happen.  You all do. 

We'll beat Ole Miss and look good doing it.  That Sunday we'll creep into the Top Ten.  LSU meanwhile will fall to Florida. 

The following week we'll strut into Baton Rouge.  Etling will have the game of his life.  Guice will be effective for the first time all season. Arden Key will be closer to game shape.  We'll have a kickoff run back or a punt blocked for a TD, there will be puckering in the red zone and...   I'm scared of that game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 04:49:22 PM »
You know what's going to happen.  You all do. 

We'll beat Ole Miss and look good doing it.  That Sunday we'll creep into the Top Ten.  LSU meanwhile will fall to Florida. 

The following week we'll strut into Baton Rouge.  Etling will have the game of his life.  Guice will be effective for the first time all season. Arden Key will be closer to game shape.  We'll have a kickoff run back or a punt blocked for a TD, there will be puckering in the red zone and...   I'm scared of that game.

Ordinarily, I'd agree and yes I'm nervous about this game, but I think the difference is our defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
Ordinarily, I'd agree and yes I'm nervous about this game, but I think the difference is our defense.

If Gus fully takes back over the offense it won't matter. I pray and hope that what we have seen the last two games is a trend and not an anomaly. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
If Gus fully takes back over the offense it won't matter. I pray and hope that what we have seen the last two games is a trend and not an anomaly.

Orgeron has the market on hope and pray cornered.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 05:12:28 AM »
Lack of game reps by our backups will catch up with us. And that will be on Malzahn.
Yeah we probably get clowned in one of the next few games and the loss will be a direct result of not being prepared.
Just a few days ago Brian Matthew's wrote a piece about a plan being in place for Willis.
Really now? :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
Lack of game reps by our backups will catch up with us. And that will be on Malzahn.
Yeah we probably get clowned in one of the next few games and the loss will be a direct result of not being prepared.
Just a few days ago Brian Matthew's wrote a piece about a plan being in place for Willis.
Really now? :facepalm:

We have always had a plan in pace for the backup QB.
Its called the "good luck" plan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.