Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gus Gravitas

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Gus Gravitas
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »
Ok.  I'll do the research again.

I really think this is worth discussion, particularly if we're going to be hiring a new coach at some point in the near future. 

One of Malzahn's biggest problems is he does not have the breadth of experience on which to call in his role as head coach.  He just doesn't have the base. 

I hate to use them as an example, but let's look at across the state.  When Alabama hired Saban, here was his resume:

1973–1974   Kent State (GA)
1975–1976   Kent State (LB)
1977                   Syracuse (OLB)
1978–1979   West Virginia (DB)
1980–1981   Ohio State (DB)
1982                   Navy (DB)
1983–1987   Michigan State (DC/DB)
1988–1989   Houston Oilers (DB)
1990                   Toledo
1991–1994   Cleveland Browns (DC)
1995–1999   Michigan State
2000–2004   LSU
2005–2006   Miami Dolphins

He coached under Don James at Kent State. With Tom Coughlin at Syracuse. With Rick Trickett at WVU. Under Earl Bruce at Ohio State.  With Belichick's dad at Navy.  Under Perles at Michigan State.  Under Jerry Glanville and with June Jones at Houston.  Under Belichick and with Al Groh, Kirk Ferentz, Woody Widenhofer and Rick Venturi at Cleveland.   

Would Nick Saban be "NICK SABAN!" if Alabama had hired him in 1990?  No.  He wasn't ready.  He had to learn from success (Toledo went 9-2) and failure (Michigan State wasn't all that and his Dolphins tenure was a bust) in order to become the coach he is today. 

Now lets look at Gus.  His resume when hired:

1991                   Hughes HS (AR) (DC)
1992–1995   Hughes HS (AR)
1996–2000   Shiloh Christian HS (AR)
2001–2005   Springdale HS (AR)
2006             Arkansas    (OC/WR)
2007–2008   Tulsa (AHC/Co-OC/QB)
2009–2011   Auburn (OC/QB)
2012                   Arkansas State
2013–2017   Auburn

He coached for one contentious season under Houston Fucking Nutt at Arkansas.  He coached under Todd Graham  and as co-OC with (are you fucking kidding me?) Herb Fucking Hand at Tulsa.  Under Gene Chizik at Auburn.

:facepalm:

Where in that list has he gained the experience and insight to run a multi-million dollar Division One national power?   

That's on Jay Jacobs.  Period. 

In another accidentally rolled back post, somebody said "a Nick Saban wouldn't come to Auburn." 

I call bullshit on that. 

Since 2000, Auburn's played for the SEC title four times and won three.  Over that same span, Florida has three, LSU four, Georgia two and Bama the rest. 

Undefeated twice since 2004, won the NC in 2010 and played for it in 2013.  Other than Alabama, the only other team to play for the NC twice in the past nine years is Clemson. 

We're holding our own in recruiting when our biggest rival is recruiting at an unprecedented (cheating) rate. 

We've got facilities. We've got money. We've got fans.

The only thing holding us back is Jay Jacobs. 

The hire of Malzahn to run our football program is incontrovertible evidence of his ineptitude.  So was the hire of Chizik. 

His resume wasn't much better than Malzahn's when he was hired.  Neither had put in the work required to prove their qualification for the job.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

Re: Gus Gravitas
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »
We all have ideas but would Jacob's step out of his comfort zone and go after somebody that hasn't actually worked on a staff at Auburn in the past?
I doubt he would even entertain the idea beyond stating he was going to find the best coach for AU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
Thank you for resurrecting... It was a good discussion post.  Sorry I nuked it.

I think you are 100% right, I know that at least 3 of us (yourself included) didn't think he was primetime ready.  It's also the reason I didn't like Tom Herman as a hire for us (if Gus would have been axed last year).  We wouldn't have won the Tom Herman battle anyways.

I also agree with you that we could get a Nick Saban, assuming one was out there.  If we so inclined.  The problem I still see though is Jay and also beyond Jay. 

The problem is bigger than just Jacobs, unfortunately.  As you have said before Auburn is its own worst enemy.  We need an AD that is willing to step in and shun the power brokers to hire a coach to do his thing and stay out of the way.  To work in the background supporting our athletics teams and not be a central focus like Jacobs is.  The problem is that the people that do the hiring are those same people and they aren't going to hire someone like that.  They want a Jacobs, a guy they can call and will give them what they want.  That sticks his nose into the Football program.   

Even if we were to hire the next Saban we would fuck it up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »

I think you are 100% right, I know that at least 3 of us (yourself included) didn't think he was primetime ready.  It's also the reason I didn't like Tom Herman as a hire for us (if Gus would have been axed last year).  We wouldn't have won the Tom Herman battle anyways.

I also agree with you that we could get a Nick Saban, assuming one was out there.  If we so inclined.  The problem I still see though is Jay and also beyond Jay. 

The problem is bigger than just Jacobs, unfortunately.  As you have said before Auburn is its own worst enemy.  We need an AD that is willing to step in and shun the power brokers to hire a coach to do his thing and stay out of the way.  To work in the background supporting our athletics teams and not be a central focus like Jacobs is.  The problem is that the people that do the hiring are those same people and they aren't going to hire someone like that.  They want a Jacobs, a guy they can call and will give them what they want.  That sticks his nose into the Football program.   

Going back over those old threads in dec 12/jan 13 is hilarious. Most of us were right.

Earlon McWhorter - I'll go ahead and drop that one name now on here. Most have heard of him. But he's also Jays biggest protector. And he's let it be known recently that he still has his back. He doesn't hide it. And as you said, THIS is the issue. Moreso than Jay. He's just a pawn at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:56:15 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
This actually hurts to read when resumes are stacked against each other.

Still, wouldn't matter to me if we had not looked so inept much of last year. And 2nd half Clemson.

I wouldn't care if he had them at least competing in some of those situations.

But it's evident that Saban paid his dues and learned a lot more about leading and managing.

Like GF said, problem is some of our boosters aren't willing to be told they can't stand on the sidelines. So, a Saban type coach won't be hired. Gotta be a yes man, like Jay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
This actually hurts to read when resumes are stacked against each other.

Still, wouldn't matter to me if we had not looked so inept much of last year. And 2nd half Clemson.

I wouldn't care if he had them at least competing in some of those situations.

But it's evident that Saban paid his dues and learned a lot more about leading and managing.

Like GF said, problem is some of our boosters aren't willing to be told they can't stand on the sidelines. So, a Saban type coach won't be hired. Gotta be a yes man, like Jay.

Does he HAVE to look like a doughy lesbian?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »

First, Malzahn was 3rd or 4th on my wish list for the very reasons listed above.  When he was hired, my only thoughts were that while our offensive woes are most likely cured, I hope this guy understands you have to play defense in this league.  Funny how all that has been reversed.

Second, I laugh heartily, guffaw even at anyone who says we can't land a big name coach here. K laid out the obvious reasons why.  Winning tradition, support, facilities, money etc.  No big time coach is out there laughing at us and saying they wouldn't consider this job.  There may be reasons we're not a good fit.  Like you said, we weren't going to win the Tom Herman sweepstakes even if we tried. 

The last part of your post is ambivalaquental to me.  Who are you saying is running the show?  You say we need an AD to shun the power brokers to hire a coach and stay out of the way.  What power brokers?  And what happened to every hire being Jay's decision alone?  Remember how I argued that Malzahn was chosen by the search committee and everyone here said absolutely not. The committee was a sham and it was Jacobs' that made that call.  So is Jacobs making the decisions or is he answering to "power brokers"?

Let me address the other part and start off by saying, Jane, you ignorant slut.  I am in no way defending Jay Jacobs here.  But, how exactly does he stick his nose in or interfere with the football program?  Has he fucked up the last two hires?  If he did in fact make the calls, yes indeedy-do he did.  But once Chizik and Malzahn were hired, what's he done to stick his nose in the program.  Is he a schmarmy, self-centered, narcissistic acting lesbian?  Yep!  But is he telling Malzahn who to play, who to recruit, what to run, how to dress, what time to leave for the games, how to practice, when and where the team can take a shit? 

Oh contraire mon, frere! Just the opposite.  He may have hired the wrong coaches, but it can never be said that he nor the powers that be have done anything other than give Malzahn and his staff everything under the sun they could possibly need to be successful. Money, state of the art facilities, support for a coach that's clearly fucking it up etc.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:48:43 PM »

First, Malzahn was 3rd or 4th on my wish list for the very reasons listed above.  When he was hired, my only thoughts were that while our offensive woes are most likely cured, I hope this guy understands you have to play defense in this league.  Funny how all that has been reversed.

Second, I laugh heartily, guffaw even at anyone who says we can't land a big name coach here. K laid out the obvious reasons why.  Winning tradition, support, facilities, money etc.  No big time coach is out there laughing at us and saying they wouldn't consider this job.  There may be reasons we're not a good fit.  Like you said, we weren't going to win the Tom Herman sweepstakes even if we tried. 

The last part of your post is ambivalaquental to me.  Who are you saying is running the show?  You say we need an AD to shun the power brokers to hire a coach and stay out of the way.  What power brokers?  And what happened to every hire being Jay's decision alone?  Remember how I argued that Malzahn was chosen by the search committee and everyone here said absolutely not. The committee was a sham and it was Jacobs' that made that call.  So is Jacobs making the decisions or is he answering to "power brokers"?

Let me address the other part and start off by saying, Jane, you ignorant slut.  I am in no way defending Jay Jacobs here.  But, how exactly does he stick his nose in or interfere with the football program?  Has he fucked up the last two hires?  If he did in fact make the calls, yes indeedy-do he did.  But once Chizik and Malzahn were hired, what's he done to stick his nose in the program.  Is he a schmarmy, self-centered, narcissistic acting lesbian?  Yep!  But is he telling Malzahn who to play, who to recruit, what to run, how to dress, what time to leave for the games, how to practice, when and where the team can take a shit? 

Oh contraire mon, frere! Just the opposite.  He may have hired the wrong coaches, but it can never be said that he nor the powers that be have done anything other than give Malzahn and his staff everything under the sun they could possibly need to be successful. Money, state of the art facilities, support for a coach that's clearly fucking it up etc.   

Do you actually think anyone here made it past the second paragraph?

Not that it wasn't good writing. It wasn't. It's just boring, like most of your stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
Do you actually think anyone here made it past the second paragraph?

Not that it wasn't good writing. It wasn't. It's just boring, like most of your stuff.

I'll admit, it's no "Wheels on the Bus".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
I'll admit, it's no "Wheels on the Bus".
I still can't believe you managed to come up with that one.

Speaking of:

The day in the life of an Auburn fan, Auburn fan, Auburn fan
The day in the life of an Auburn fan...wonderin' what went wrong?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
The other problem becomes who do you go after? 

You have hot shot names like PJ Fleck, Chad Morris, Brent Venables
Fleck and Morris have HC experience but IMO are still wet behind the ears in that department. Venables has no HC experience.  None of these are any more experienced than Gus was IMO.

You have the experienced guys that will be everyone's new coach next year in Chip Kelly, Bob Stoops, Les Miles....Jon Gruden
Kelly to me would be ok. I have concerns about the type of offense he runs.  I do think he is a my way or the highway (Saban type) coach.  He has the experience built Oregon from nothing.

Unlike Snags I think Stoops is done coaching, I suppose I could be wrong.  This is a whole lot of meh either way to me, He could never win the big game. 

Les Miles, while I think he is a great head coach and certainly light years above what we have, there are still concerns of offensive development. 

I was kidding on Gruden. 

Honest truth I think the only one we might have a shot at would be Miles and I don't think he would be good for our long term future.

Guys that I would have on my short list to contact... Justin Fuente, Bryan Harsin, Chris Creighton or perhaps an NFL Coordinator like a Josh McDaniels ( I have no idea if he would be interested in being a HC in College.)

- Fuente is HC at Virgina Tech, he is 41 years old and has been a HC for 6 years (HCR:39-27), currently making 3.5 at VT.  The challenge here would be would leaving the ACC for the SEC be more tempting.  Is Auburn a better job? Realistically, probably not when you consider what he has to do to win in the ACC vs the SEC West.  Plus VT is a lot easier on their coaches than Auburn would be.   Money does talk though and obviously recruiting and facilities are better.  Tough call.

- Harsin is HC at Boise State, he is 40 years old and has been HC for 5 years (HCR:40-15), currently making 1.6 at Boise.  Is Auburn a better job? Solid yes here.  However, Harsin is a BSU Alum born and raised in Boise.  Would he want to see a new challenge?  He has an outstanding record at Boise, and has coached under Chris Peterson and Mack Brown.  Solid Pedigree here.

- Chris Creighton is HC at E. Michigan, he is 48 years old and has been a HC for 21 years (HCR:151-73), currently making 525k at E. Michigan.  He's a bit of a dark horse here. Obviously, has the most coaching experience out of the other three guys. However, most of the coaching was at very small schools. Drake, Wabash, Ottawa. Is Auburn the better job? Most Assuredly YES! He has consistently won at every stop. Including currently turning around a directional school going 2-10, 1-11 to 7-6 and 2-0 for the start of this year. It's not a spicy name but an intriguing one.

- Insert NFL Coordinator: Personally, I like Josh McDaniels, he works under arguably the GOAT HC in the NFL Belichick.  He has 2 years of NFL HC experience going 11-17 with the Denver Broncos. He was originally hired by Belichick (in 2001) worked as OC and QB coach from 2006-2008 left for the HC job at Denver and was brought back as OC and QB coach under Belichick in 2012. I have no idea how much he makes.  Is Auburn the better job?  Again no idea here, I don't even know if he would want to coach in college.

My #1 with a bullet would be Gary Patterson.
Head Coach TCU
HC for 17 years
Salary: 4.8 Million
HCR:151-54

Supposedly rumored to have interviewed for the job before Malzahn.  I don't care if he came in half nekkid with a frog on his head, how you could choose Malzahn over him is mind-boggling.  Patterson has built recruited, re-recruited the TCU program into what it is.  Out of the 17 years he has been there he has had 3 losing seasons. Is Auburn the better job?  Unlike Justin Fuente at VT I have to think yes. Yes TCU has grown exponentially since being in the Big 12, but, they are still the dormat to Oklahoma and Texas as far as notability.  With Auburn's resources I would think that Patterson would do an even better job for our program. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:28:34 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »

I think Jacobs is the main problem, yes but, I also think there are other factors in the PTB that run things in the background.  I don't think it is as bad as it used to be, but I still think it's there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »
Its a quandary for sure.

Do yo want an offensive head coach, or a defensive head coach?

Steele is an excellent D coach, but would he be a good head coach. And could he hire the right OC? Is it his time?

If you get a Chip Kelly, can he hire the right DC. As we know, you got to have a D to win it all. (Although 2013 almost disproved that)

Every time we hire an offensive minded coach, it takes us a while to build a defense.

But now we have the world renown offensive guru and cannot score?

WTH is going on?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Through my super secret insider contacts, I have gotten word that Gus will be left behind in Columbia, since it's so close to Arkansas anyway.  I will be taking over as Head Coach on Sunday morning.  If any of you fuckers have any good plays you want to send me, you can just fuck off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »
Petrino first choice. Malzahn second but only because I felt Chizik interfered. Wrong.
Several out there. Gundy has Stoops out if the way.
My choice Kyle Whittingham (Utah) seems to be a Morman of sorts. And of course John Madden refuses to fly. Lombardi isn't interested.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:56:00 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
I do NOT want Steele for a hc. Just watch the D go ti shit if it happens.
Go after Chip Kelly. That's the first call to be made regardless of the answer. We beat him and he knows we are located in Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 02:06:07 PM »
GF may not be much at maintaining a server but he's right about Gary Patterson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »
Love Patterson but he should be in position to vie with Gundy, GH's guy. Both seem to be dug in but worth a real bid for their services.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »
I want somebody who's a man.  I want somebody who's 40.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions