Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Puerto Rico

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Puerto Rico
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
So like many other things that get overshadowed, this weekend Puerto Rico voted for statehood.  This is not binding and would have to be approved by congress but I am curious as to people's opinions about having a 51st state.

Chad doesn't your wife have family that hails from there?  I imagine they have some strong feelings maybe on both sides of the issue?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:39:28 AM »
They're in debt. They get and want more assistance. Of course they want to be a state.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »
No thank you.   

I'd like to get rid of some of the ones we have. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
Can we trade them for California?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
Can we trade them for California?

Watcha talking about Willis? 

I'm thinking West Virginia.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:22:59 AM »
So like many other things that get overshadowed, this weekend Puerto Rico voted for statehood.  This is not binding and would have to be approved by congress but I am curious as to people's opinions about having a 51st state.

Chad doesn't your wife have family that hails from there?  I imagine they have some strong feelings maybe on both sides of the issue?
I'm not an expert. Her close family are all here now. But from what I understand from those that are still there, they're not interested.

They already get most of the benefits by being a territory. Really the only thing they don't get is the ability to vote on our President and a voting representative in Congress. They already are getting about the same federal funding they would as a state, they're already on the dollar, they already get our military protection, they already are free to come in and out as easy as it is to come in and out between Georgia and Alabama. And by NOT being a state, they're exempt from a lot of federal taxes.

From what I understand this:
They're in debt. They get and want more assistance. Of course they want to be a state.
has it kind of backwards. If they become a state, they may get a little more federal funding, but will be giving it back to Washington in the form of taxes. Most citizens, from what I understand, don't think the benefits outweigh the cost, particularly to the individuals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
When using the term "wife" when referring to Chizzy, does Puerto Rico recognize gay marriage?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
Most citizens, from what I understand, don't think the benefits outweigh the cost, particularly to the individuals.

Funny. Sounds like "most citizens" voted yes? No?

What wrong wif the stars we have? Don't they fits jus fine on da flag?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
Funny. Sounds like "most citizens" voted yes? No?

What wrong wif the stars we have? Don't they fits jus fine on da flag?
I meant in the past.

And only 23% of Puerto Ricans turned out to vote. So "most citizens" don't care all that much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
I meant in the past.

And only 23% of Puerto Ricans turned out to vote. So "most citizens" don't care all that much.

That's the way votes work.  If all those millions and millions if illegal aliens and dead voters had just shown up at  the polls in November, idiots like Prowler would have something different to bitch about. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
Apparently the Like button is not enabled on my posts. Who can fix this? Pronto.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
I meant in the past.

Maybe they do care, but they had no one to drive them to the polls!

Or maybe they didn't get their racist ID card!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
The official Republican platform is for Puerto Rican statehood.

I'm guessing every person who opined in this thread just changed their opinion.

Code: [Select]
https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf
The Territory of Puerto Rico
We support the right of the United States
citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union
as a fully sovereign state. We further recognize the
historic significance of the 2012 local referendum in
which a 54 percent majority voted to end Puerto
Rico’s current status as a U.S. territory, and 61
percent chose statehood over options for sovereign
nationhood. We support the federally sponsored
political status referendum authorized and funded
by an Act of Congress in 2014 to ascertain the
aspirations of the people of Puerto Rico. Once the
2012 local vote for statehood is ratified, Congress
should approve an enabling act with terms for
Puerto Rico’s future admission as the 51st state of
the Union.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:01:22 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Wrong. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
I'm not going to opine.  Just say that a couple of years that my daughter was working with Royal Caribbean, Puerto Rico was the home port for her ship.  Went there twice and...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
I don't have strong opinions either way.  I just knew that you (Chad) had some PR connection and I always find the views of the people that have first (or secondhand knowledge in your case) very intriguing. 

Much like how I put a lot more stock in my father in laws views on immigration since he immigrated here from Cuba during the Castro years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »

Shows the closed status of your mind. 

Positions, not party.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
That's the way votes work.  If all those millions and millions if illegal aliens and dead voters had just shown up at  the polls in November, idiots like Prowler would have something different to bitch about.
You mean like the illegals that President Cheeto claims to have voted in California?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
I'm not an expert. Her close family are all here now. But from what I understand from those that are still there, they're not interested.

They already get most of the benefits by being a territory. Really the only thing they don't get is the ability to vote on our President and a voting representative in Congress. They already are getting about the same federal funding they would as a state, they're already on the dollar, they already get our military protection, they already are free to come in and out as easy as it is to come in and out between Georgia and Alabama. And by NOT being a state, they're exempt from a lot of federal taxes.

From what I understand this:has it kind of backwards. If they become a state, they may get a little more federal funding, but will be giving it back to Washington in the form of taxes. Most citizens, from what I understand, don't think the benefits outweigh the cost, particularly to the individuals.

Would it not open them up to full blown federal subsidies? And yes if 100% worked and paid taxes, that'd be a good financial deal for us. But like most states here, more are pulling money out than are putting in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 10:46:56 PM »
But like most red states here, more are pulling money out than are putting in.

Fixt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.