Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Get your Warped Tour Tix, Brah!!!

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Get your Warped Tour Tix, Brah!!!
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:28:39 PM »
The new 311 album is surprisingly listenable.  It's pleasing ear candy.  I accept your ridicule.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Get your Warped Tour Tix, Brah!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 12:04:14 AM »
Only heard a couple of cuts.  But "Too late" is spot on.  Something for everyone.  Kind of takes you on a journey but finishes with some hard hitting metal and vocals.  Indicative of a band that's been there, done that.  They know what they are and they've refined it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
I've spent some time with this album (call it a fit of nostalgia if you must).

Standout tracks:
Island Sun
Inside Our Home
Hey Yo
Forever Now
Days of '88

The rest are solid and I'm digging it start to finish...except "Perfect Mistake," which sounds like the song Papa Roach has been trying 20 years to make.  That's not a compliment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
Didn't realize 311 was still producing, assumed they were on a never-ending small town city fest tour by now.  Too late is heavy.  Way more than I was expecting.  I'll give the others a listen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Been sampling this after seeing the thread revived. Gotta' say, I'm extremely impressed.  Very accomplished band.  They keep that Reggae feel as the focal point for everything.  But this music is surprisingly complex, and they make it work.  Damn fine listen. 

Good call, Wes.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 12:23:45 AM »
I'm enjoying this album too much to apologize further so I'm fleshing out my review.  I've spent some time with it and I think people with no history with this band could enjoy this album.  They've gone from stoners who like reggae and melodic metal grooves to a pretty polished band that still covers those bases, but has added a bit a introspection to their repertoire.

Standout tracks:
Forever Now (an updated "American Woman"...riff-wise, anyway)
Island Sun (the drum effect in the 2nd and 3rd choruses is sonic ear-smack, and the get-your-mind-right message is perfect summer fare)
Inside Our Home (This is like the most beautiful bastard child of Madness and Big Country...plus they get bonus points for using "bucolic" in a rock song)
Hey Yo (Catchy 311 choruses get me...fuck you)
Days of '88 (pure nostalgia and it seems like Doug finally found his voice...it sure wasn't goddamned "Perfect Mistake")

The rest are solid and I'm digging it start to finish...except "Perfect Mistake," which sounds like the song Papa Roach has been trying 20 years to make.  That's not a compliment.  Really, "Perfect Mistake" is god-awful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
I'm enjoying this album too much to apologize further so I'm fleshing out my review.  I've spent some time with it and I think people with no history with this band could enjoy this album.  They've gone from stoners who like reggae and melodic metal grooves to a pretty polished band that still covers those bases, but has added a bit a introspection to their repertoire.

Standout tracks:
Forever Now (an updated "American Woman"...riff-wise, anyway)
Island Sun (the drum effect in the 2nd and 3rd choruses is sonic ear-smack, and the get-your-mind-right message is perfect summer fare)
Inside Our Home (This is like the most beautiful bastard child of Madness and Big Country...plus they get bonus points for using "bucolic" in a rock song)
Hey Yo (Catchy 311 choruses get me...fuck you)
Days of '88 (pure nostalgia and it seems like Doug finally found his voice...it sure wasn't goddamned "Perfect Mistake")

The rest are solid and I'm digging it start to finish...except "Perfect Mistake," which sounds like the song Papa Roach has been trying 20 years to make.  That's not a compliment.  Really, "Perfect Mistake" is god-awful.

You've talked me into it.  I shall steal purchase it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
You've talked me into it.  I shall steal purchase it.
I like the new avatar ...sexy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
I like the new avatar ...sexy

Ain't it though
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."