Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Hap and Leonard

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Hap and Leonard
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
So I remembered Wench talking about these books years back and searched the forum to find the exact post. They apparently have made each book in Lansdale's series into a 6 episode season. Each season being a separate story arc. Reminds me somewhat of True Detective in the flow and "darkness" of the plot. Same with the seasonal story arcs, except the characters don't change in Hap and Leonard like they did in True Detective.

I was talking to K about this one last week and was curious if anyone had caught any of the episodes yet? Season 1 is on Netflix and season 2 starts tomorrow night on Sundance.

Happened to catch the first season on Netflix last week just browsing around bored.  Overall I like it. Not perfect but in a world of shitty shows and movies, its solid.

Here is Wench's post from 2011 about the books:

I will add Tom Franklin to the list.  Always on the search for a new read.

Another good "Southern" writer is Joe Lansdale.  I think I have mentioned him before on here, but I cannot say enough superlatives about his writing.  Most of his books are about the piney woods of East Texas.  Lansdale captures "redneck' in the written word like few have been able to.  Most of us could read one of his character descriptions and think "I know someone like that..."

The Bottoms and Leather Maiden are two of his stand alone books that ovrewhelmed me with their awesomeness.  Savage Season is his first "Hap and Leonard" novel - the main characters are an East Texas redneck and his best friend, who is a gay, black Vietnam vet.  Totally out there, but it works, and in a hugely awesome way.

To add to it, the year is 1987. Its somewhere near Brownsville/Galveston I would guess in a fictional town. Lot of background info that is revealed about the characters and how they meet and team up as the season unfolds. They are basically down and out, go from job to job, are roommates and best buds, and are willing to take risky, shady missions for the promise of cash. Lot of blood, lot of death, psychopaths, gay black cowboy Nam vet (as TW mentions) , but the other one is straight with his own issues, you name it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:18:18 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE