Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wench's Guide to What's Worth Reading

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Wench's Guide to What's Worth Reading
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »
I read.  A LOT.  It's my primary form of relaxation and escapism.  I have made a few recommendations here and there, but as the heat of summer and the boredom of the offseason set in, I thought maybe an official thread might be worthwhile.

Y'all feel free to jump on in if you read something good or want to comment on something someone else posts.

Here's my current bedside reading:

In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson

Larson writes non-fiction, and this book takes place in Berlin during the late 1930's.  It's based on the lives of the American Ambassador to Germany and his family who spent a year in Berlin as Hitler rose to absolute power. 

You have to constantly remind yourself as you read that people then had a vastly different perspective on Hitler than we do with the benefit of hindsight.  They thought that conservative forces within the German government would keep Hitler in power, or more likely, kick him out of power all together.  Much of the world - even the U.S. - was openly anti-Semitic, and the initial stages of violence against Jews were not viewed with much concern anywhere - including in some American Jewish circles, surprisingly enough.  After all the horror of WWI, no one was interested in getting back into it with Germany.  FDR certainly did not see such persecution as enough of a reason to even chastise Germany for violation of human rights - but again, that was really not at the front of the public consciousness then like it is now - mainly because the Holocaust taught us what genocide was truly all about, and made subsequent generations sensitive to the first signs of ethnic cleansing.  Even when Hitler began to openly re-arm German in direct violation of the treaty to end WWI, no one acted, or even grew concerned.  Many people thought the Germans had been humiliated enough, and since they were a sovereign nation, they had that right.

Adding an air of salaciousness to it all was the Ambassador's slutty daughter.  She was in her 20s when her father took the post, and so she ran off to Germany to escape a bad, secret marriage.  She then proceeded to sleep her way through the SS/SA Officers, including Diehl, and even a commie from the Soviet Embassy.  The family socialized and partied with high ranking Nazis - Goering, Himmler, Goebels, and even Hitler - in the name of US - German relations.  You can see the progressive fanaticism of the Nazis creep into every encounter the Ambassador has, even though he openly ignored it.  The daughter's journals provide a fascinating behind the scenes look at how incredibly naive everyone was about Hitler and his ambitions. 

Larson has also written a couple of others, one particularly worth mentioning - Devil in the White City is the story of a serial killer that was preying on people during the Chicago World's Fair.  It is such a wild story that you can't believe it is not fiction.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:32:56 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

Re: Wench's Guide to What's Worth Reading
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
Latest Book:  Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.  By Seth Grahame-Smith

This is NOT twilighty true blood with glittery vamps kissing humans in the sunshine kind of book.  This is a wickedly funny, very entertaining premise that combines real events in the life of our 16th President with his secret quest to rid this nation of vampires, starting with the one that killed his mother.

The Lost Colony of Roanoke?  Vampires.

The spread of slave market in the South?  Vampires buying the old, young and infirm to use as a buffet at parties.

This is just a great book.  For anyone who has ever read one of the many MANY biographies of Abe Lincoln, you can see how his dark, tormented, depressive personality would blend quite well into this story line.  It is a quick and easy read, and very enjoyable.

They are also making a movie from it, due out next year.

From some reviews:

Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the pop-novel mash-up on which the movie is based, said he was beginning to suspect that his “Vampire Hunter” conceit tapped something deeper than originally planned. Speaking by telephone last week, he said he couldn’t help thinking of Lincoln and vampires on seeing President Obama with “his chest pumped up” after the killing of Osama bin Laden.

“There’s something in the American psyche, we want our presidents to be warriors,” Mr. Grahame-Smith said. “We’re giving that to Abraham Lincoln, sort of posthumously in this case.”

[snip]

The “Vampire Hunter” film, like the book, follows Lincoln from his boyhood on the frontier through his assassination by John Wilkes Booth and — because this is a vampire story — beyond. Young Lincoln, having learned that his grandfather and mother were killed by vampires, vows to kill every last blood-sucker in a country that is crawling with them.

On realizing that vampires are tangled in the slave trade, Lincoln’s resolve grows and takes on a moral dimension. To complicate matters he also learns that the creatures come in two varieties, good and bad.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
Latest Book:  Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.  By Seth Grahame-Smith

This is NOT twilighty true blood with glittery vamps kissing humans in the sunshine kind of book.  This is a wickedly funny, very entertaining premise that combines real events in the life of our 16th President with his secret quest to rid this nation of vampires, starting with the one that killed his mother.

The Lost Colony of Roanoke?  Vampires.

The spread of slave market in the South?  Vampires buying the old, young and infirm to use as a buffet at parties.

This is just a great book.  For anyone who has ever read one of the many MANY biographies of Abe Lincoln, you can see how his dark, tormented, depressive personality would blend quite well into this story line.  It is a quick and easy read, and very enjoyable.

They are also making a movie from it, due out next year.

From some reviews:

Glad you posted this.  I picked it up at the airport and read the first chapter but for some reason, never went back to it.  I was thinking about reading it the other day and I think I will now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Aubie16

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
Wench, I know we've talked about our mutual interest in the Jack Reacher series before...but the new one comes out in September.

Anybody that hasn't read any of them, I highly suggest them if you enjoy easy, entertaining reads. Perfect summer books imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
And I'll throw the Dresden Files into the mix as well.  New book, number 13 in the series, comes out in July.  Jim Butcher is the author, and I highly recommend it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
Wench, I know we've talked about our mutual interest in the Jack Reacher series before...but the new one comes out in September.

Anybody that hasn't read any of them, I highly suggest them if you enjoy easy, entertaining reads. Perfect summer books imo.

Jack Reacher is the only man I would leave my husband for.  He is a STUD.

Every.  Single.  Book. in that series is a killer read.  Considering this is Reacher series book 15 or 16?  The lack of drop-off in quality is remarkable.  Lee Child is one of my all time favorite authors.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
Jack Reacher is the only man I would leave my husband for.  He is a STUD.

you haven't met me yet. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »
Here's a blurb about the latest book by author and Auburn man Ace Atkins.  He is coming to Houston on Saturday to discuss and sign this new novel, and I will be in attendance!!  I never miss a chance to see Ace when he is in town.  I will post my thoughts on it next week.

Ace Atkins:  The Ranger (Putnum; $25.95). From the acclaimed, award-winning author comes an extraordinary new series about a real hero, and the real Deep South. Ace Atkins returns with an extraordinary new series. Northeast Mississippi, hill country, rugged and notorious for outlaws since the Civil War, where killings are as commonplace as in the Old West. To Quinn Colson, it's home-but not the home he left when he went to Afghanistan. Now an Army Ranger, he returns to a place overrun by corruption, and finds his uncle, the county sheriff, dead-a suicide, he's told, but others whisper murder. In the days that follow, it will be up to Colson to discover the truth, not only about his uncle, but about his family, his friends, his town, and not least about himself. And once the truth is discovered, there is no turning back. 

"With terrific, inflected characters, and a dark, subtle sense of place and history, The Ranger is an exceptional novel." -John Sandford

"One of the best crime writers at work today." -Michael Connelly

Ace Atkins is the author of nine novels, including The Ranger, the debut novel in the Quinn Colson series, from G.P. Putnam’s Sons. A former journalist who cut his teeth as a crime reporter in the newsroom of The Tampa Tribune, he published his first novel, Crossroad Blues, at 27 and became a full-time novelist at 30.

While at the Tribune, Ace earned a Pulitzer Prize nomination for a feature series based on his investigation into a forgotten murder of the 1950s. The story became the core of his critically acclaimed novel, White Shadow, which earned raves from noted authors and critics. In his next novels, Wicked City, Devil's Garden, and Infamous, blended first-hand interviews and original research into police and court records with tightly woven plots and incisive characters. The historical novels told great American stories by weaving fact and fiction into a colorful, seamless tapestry.

The Ranger represents a return to Ace’s first love: hero-driven series fiction. Quinn Colson is a real hero—a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan—who returns home to north Mississippi to fight corruption on his home turf. Ace lives on a historic farm outside Oxford, Mississippi with his family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
Here's a blurb about the latest book by author and Auburn man Ace Atkins.  He is coming to Houston on Saturday to discuss and sign this new novel, and I will be in attendance!!  I never miss a chance to see Ace when he is in town. I will post my thoughts on it next week.

Stalker
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
Stalker

Would have been "accused rapist" had I been given half a chance... he was one of my students when I was in grad school at AU... hotter than a two dollar pistol then, and he has aged VERY VERY well...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
Speaking of modern southern authors, have you tried any Tom Franklin?  I really enjoyed his first two books "Hell at the Breech" and "Poachers" (collection of short stories). 

"Hell at the Breech" is a fictionalized account of an actual event that took place in my home county (also the author's home county) that was great IMO.  "Poachers" was a really good collection also.  His third book "Smonk" was a bit weird.  It was a little bit western, a little bit Stephen King, a little bit dark comedy.  Tom calls his books "Southerns" as a play on the western genre.

I haven't read his latest "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" but I have heard it is may be his best.

If you see anything by this guy I would advise you to pick it up, especially "Hell at the Breech".  At one time Eastwood was connected with trying to turn it into a movie, but I think that has gotten dropped.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:31:25 PM by AU_Tiger_2000 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Tiger Wench

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
I will add Tom Franklin to the list.  Always on the search for a new read.

Another good "Southern" writer is Joe Lansdale.  I think I have mentioned him before on here, but I cannot say enough superlatives about his writing.  Most of his books are about the piney woods of East Texas.  Lansdale captures "redneck' in the written word like few have been able to.  Most of us could read one of his character descriptions and think "I know someone like that..."

The Bottoms and Leather Maiden are two of his stand alone books that ovrewhelmed me with their awesomeness.  Savage Season is his first "Hap and Leonard" novel - the main characters are an East Texas redneck and his best friend, who is a gay, black Vietnam vet.  Totally out there, but it works, and in a hugely awesome way.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
you haven't met me yet. 

still no comment...i like my chances.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
you haven't met me yet.

Did not know you were a closet Michael Buble fan...

That's pretty much a deal killer for me. That, and the lingering stench of unwashed liberal hippies that clings to your person.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:56:15 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
Did not know you were a closet Michael Buble fan...

That's pretty much a deal killer for me. That, and the lingering stench of unwashed liberal hippies that clings to your person.

You asked for it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
This may be my next biography - never heard of this guy, but he sounds creepy/horrifying...

James Palmer’s 2009 biography The Bloody White Baron traced the life of Nikolai Maximilian von Ungern-Sternberg—a psychotic Baltic aristocrat who became an officer in the czar’s army and, eventually, Mongolian khan. The book (just out in paperback) is unpredictable in all sorts of interesting ways.

Ungern-Sternberg was paranoid, messianic, and murderous on a scale that set the stage for Hitler, Stalin, and others to come. Oddly, only the experts know his name. Palmer—an English travel writer who lives in Beijing—knows a lot more than that, and he digs up a slough of grotesque but fascinating details. If you have a strong stomach and an appetite for off-road histories, this real-life horror show may be your cup of tea. If not, you’ll find that the baron’s name still makes for a memorable Google search.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Just finished this at the beach.  Excellent book.  Not beach reading.  I wish I had been sitting in a dark room with a low lit lamp when I read this book.

The ending is a bit weak, but it honestly doesn't need a good ending.  The journey is the real story. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Tiger Wench

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
This sounds interesting too:

Deborah Baker is best known as the author of relatively straightforward books about Laura Riding and Allen Ginsberg. Her latest, The Convert: A Tale of Exile in Extremism, is a near-total departure for the author: It tells a fascinating story, and pushes the envelope of the biographer’s art.

Baker was rummaging around in the New York Public Library when she ran across personal papers of Margaret Marcus–an American woman who left her life in the New York suburbs behind in 1962, and became a radical Islamist in Pakistan. (Marcus, who’d changed her name to Maryam Jameelah, had written a number of diatribes against Western materialism, but she’d also continued to correspond with her Jewish parents in Westchester County.) Baker follows the paper trail, which ultimately leads her to Pakistan, and to a bracing confrontation with Marcus/Jameelah herself.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
This one is going in the queue:

Long before any of us had heard of Julian Assange, Kevin Mitnick was the world’s foremost computer hacker—and a sometime fugitive who spent three years on the lam, and five more in prison, for his criminal actions. Open his new memoir, Ghost in the Wires, to any given page, and you’re likely to run across sentences like the following: “At seventeen, I was still in high school but dedicated to working on what might be called a Ph.D. in RSTS/E hacking.” Or: “Incredibly, the people at Pacific Bell Security had never changed the manufacturer’s default PIN on these boxes.” Or: “Agent Thomas glares at me and says, ‘Mitnick, the jig is up!’ ” It ain’t Shakespeare. But it’s a quick and fascinating read.

Working with his longtime writing partner, Bill Simon, Mitnick gives us step-by-step descriptions of his hacks and cons, as well as the details of his prolonged cat-and-mouse game with the FBI. (The latter involved more than a few close calls and quick evasions, and the assumption of various false identities.) Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak contributes a foreword; he calls Mitnick’s story an “incredible, almost unbelievable tale” and assures us that no real harm was caused by his actions. (“He took software but never sold any of it. He was hacking just for the fun of it, just for the challenge.”) The corporations that Mitnick hacked might have a few things to say on that score—but that probably won’t stop their security teams and IT departments from ordering his book in bulk.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
Here's a blurb about the latest book by author and Auburn man Ace Atkins.  He is coming to Houston on Saturday to discuss and sign this new novel, and I will be in attendance!!  I never miss a chance to see Ace when he is in town.  I will post my thoughts on it next week.

Better late than never.

If you like the Reacher novels, you have GOT GOT GOT to read this book.  Quinn Colson is a stud.  Ace has channeled Child and James Lee Burke and NAILS it.  Loved it.  The ending is not a cliff hanger, but leaves the segue into book two, which cannot come soon enough to suit me.  I have not been this excited about a new series in a long time.  And lest there be snark about a prejudiced opinion because I know the author and think he is uber hot, I did not really like his first fiction novels.  They were merely meh.  But this?  This ROCKS. 

Ace Atkins:  The Ranger (Putnum; $25.95). From the acclaimed, award-winning author comes an extraordinary new series about a real hero, and the real Deep South. Ace Atkins returns with an extraordinary new series. Northeast Mississippi, hill country, rugged and notorious for outlaws since the Civil War, where killings are as commonplace as in the Old West. To Quinn Colson, it's home-but not the home he left when he went to Afghanistan. Now an Army Ranger, he returns to a place overrun by corruption, and finds his uncle, the county sheriff, dead-a suicide, he's told, but others whisper murder. In the days that follow, it will be up to Colson to discover the truth, not only about his uncle, but about his family, his friends, his town, and not least about himself. And once the truth is discovered, there is no turning back. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions