Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mr Robot

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Mr Robot
« on: September 16, 2016, 05:29:11 AM »
Started watching this show last year and am now one episode away from the second season finale. 

I've reached WTFingF level with this show.  What's real, what's not?  There was the "don't you remember I'm your sister?" moment. There was the 80's era fake comedy episode that led to a reveal that led to another reveal that the entire season to that point was not what you thought. There's a raft of "does that person even exist" arcs. There are dropped and mangled plot threads aplenty. There is L&O SVU's Dr. Huang in a kimono. There was Meryl Streep's daughter playing with her own joy box.

It's gotten so involved in being twisty and weird and hidden that it isn't even making sense any longer.  I want so badly to like it because it is (I think) intelligent and so unlike the other rote dramas that permeate the airwaves.  I'm losing it though, because I don't think I can keep watching a show where I simply have no idea whatsoever what is going on.  You can only have the rug yanked out from under you so many times before you don't want to stand on the rug.

Also?  I hate Angela. I hate the character and I can't stand the person playing her.  I'm tired of her, tired of her pulled back hair, her wide-eyed pouty face, her whisper voice, the whole thing.  I'm also growing tired of Elliot's bug eyed confusion which is the cornerstone of the show.

Am I the only one watching this show? 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:34:33 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

Re: Mr Robot
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:54:14 AM »
Started watching this show last year and am now one episode away from the second season finale. 

I've reached WTFingF level with this show.  What's real, what's not?  There was the "don't you remember I'm your sister?" moment. There was the 80's era fake comedy episode that led to a reveal that led to another reveal that the entire season to that point was not what you thought. There's a raft of "does that person even exist" arcs. There are dropped and mangled plot threads aplenty. There is L&O SVU's Dr. Huang in a kimono. There was Meryl Streep's daughter playing with her own joy box.

It's gotten so involved in being twisty and weird and hidden that it isn't even making sense any longer.  I want so badly to like it because it is (I think) intelligent and so unlike the other rote dramas that permeate the airwaves.  I'm losing it though, because I don't think I can keep watching a show where I simply have no idea whatsoever what is going on.  You can only have the rug yanked out from under you so many times before you don't want to stand on the rug.

Also?  I hate Angela. I hate the character and I can't stand the person playing her.  I'm tired of her, tired of her pulled back hair, her wide-eyed pouty face, her whisper voice, the whole thing.  I'm also growing tired of Elliot's bug eyed confusion which is the cornerstone of the show.

Yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »

I watched the first three episodes and really dug it.  Other shit got in the way and I just haven't gone back to it.

Reluctant to invest the time now, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »
I watched the first three episodes and really dug it.  Other shit got in the way and I just haven't gone back to it.

Reluctant to invest the time now, though.

As weird a show as I've ever watched.  It needs to find some resolution.  It can't keep turning inside on itself and flipping reality without losing people. 

I'm lost now.  Not sure what exists and what doesn't.  I just don't think I should be this lost at the end of a second season. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
As weird a show as I've ever watched.  It needs to find some resolution.  It can't keep turning inside on itself and flipping reality without losing people. 

I'm lost now.  Not sure what exists and what doesn't.  I just don't think I should be this lost at the end of a second season.

As lost as Jay Jacobs on a Saturday?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »

These people aren't that lost.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
I got lost coon hunting one night back in my twenties. Damn what a tiresome morning. Thank God for the roar of a tractor trailer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
What does Styx have to do with any of this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
Oh you've got two much time on your hands.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 01:09:05 AM »
Spoilers abound...

I just caught up through season 2. I'm still excited for the finale.

This show is definitely a mindfuck. I'm okay with it though because they've done a good job of telling most of the story through Elliott's perspective. And if he's schizophrenic/disassociate identity disorder/autistic/whatever, then it would make the plot and characters hard to keep up with.

However, I will say that the quick "gotchya!" twist with Elliott being in prison for 2/3 of the season kinda turned me off of the show. Why am I watching this? Why would I invest time into a show that could at the end of it hit me with a "hey look! this was all the daydream of an alien on Mars!"

They also need to really define the villain here. Who is White Rose, and why should I trust or hate him/her? Obviously E Corp is evil and Price is a power hungry Suit who will harm anyone to keep his position in the world. But this show seems to want to label America and capitalism as the villain and the Dark Army and our hacker friends as the liberators. The show just hasn't quite pushed that angle hard enough for me to get into painting the US as a bad place that needs saving from the Chinese.

At this point, I was hoping Tyrell was dead. For one, I want a chance in Joanna's pants no matter how much weird shit she'd want me to do. Two, Tyrell was lame as shit outside of being an obnoxious, creepy kid trying to do everything he could to become Phillip Price. But Tyrell was no Price. He was just a loser.

I expect no answers next week. Tyrell will end up being alive but no, he's just an imaginary figure in Elliott's mind. Darlene is dead but not really. Elliott will hack her hospital records to say she died while she recovers in his apartment. Mr. Robot will start to disappear from Elliott's life until the very end when he hijacks a Black Hawk Helicopter and crashes it into the White House. The last scene will be Angela talking to a black boy in Harlem about bending a spoon with their mind, and Angela won't really say anything while looking completely stoned but at the same time looking like someone around her farted.

I like the show. I do. But Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:30:54 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »
Domo Arigato
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

I like the show, but it's grown so infuriating.  It's like Inception with some additional layers of nonsense thrown in. 

Too many questions left unanswered.

Everybody says Elliot is the center of Dom's big chart.  I saw Tyrell, though.  Maybe it was. 
Is Dom going to have sex with Alexa?
And 80 more. 

I'm lost.  If I have to wait eight or nine months for this to start back I don't know if I can pick up all the mysterious threads. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

I like the show, but it's grown so infuriating.  It's like Inception with some additional layers of nonsense thrown in. 

Too many questions left unanswered.

Everybody says Elliot is the center of Dom's big chart.  I saw Tyrell, though.  Maybe it was. 
Is Dom going to have sex with Alexa?
And 80 more. 

I'm lost.  If I have to wait eight or nine months for this to start back I don't know if I can pick up all the mysterious threads.

We put it on the back burner for now, maybe catch up this winter. I forgot which number episode it was but it looked overly odd. He was in his own show or something and it just made no sense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »

We put it on the back burner for now, maybe catch up this winter. I forgot which number episode it was but it looked overly odd. He was in his own show or something and it just made no sense.

If you start from that episode you are fucked behind all fuckassery. Better not to watch at all than to start from there.  The
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
If you start from that episode you are fucked behind all fuckassery. Better not to watch at all than to start from there.  The

We were in sequence, the start of that one just looked stupid and the first part of season 2 just seem to drag along.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »
We were in sequence, the start of that one just looked stupid and the first part of season 2 just seem to drag along.

It's actually not a bad episode and explains a lot of things -- some of which are unfortunately unexplained later.  ugh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:12 AM »
Finale was a let down.

Season one built up to the 5/9 hack and delivered in the finale. Then it tied in some mysterious shit to make you yearn for season two.

Season two built up to phase two and the question of Tyrell and didn't deliver shit. We had he cliffhanger ending with Elliot being shot but we were told immediately that he wasn't dead. We have no answers about Tyrell. The FBI seems to have everything right and claim Tyrell is at the center of it though we have no reason to think so.

I have no idea what's going on with Angela - something they tried to build throughout the season. I'm not sure why Joanna was part of the plot this season. I thought for sure she was going to be tied into the big Tyrell reveal but she wasn't.

No one knows White Rose's end game or why she's even trying to destroy Price and the American economy.

But I still love the show. It's done so well that I have to keep watching. I just want some more concrete answers as the show goes on.

Theory: In episode one, Tyrell asked Elliot to come work for him because he knew Elliot was the most brilliant hacker on the planet. "Are you seeing this?" Elliot told Tyrell no. Mr Robot told him yes. I'm not sure where to go from here. Some outlandish theories like they're both working for E Corp trying to test E Corp's security to the nth degree in order to prove that Tyrell is the best candidate for CTO. This would at least explain why Joanna was still part of the plot: they're working together to get Tyrell power. She's taking down
Scott Knowles and he's proving that no one comes close to being as qualified for the job as he is. That was one of the major points of season one - the Wellicks will do anything for power. Wouldn't surprise me if they are both shooting for Price's position and have a plan for that through Angela. But again, this is outlandish as is every other theory out there because the show won't give any definitive answers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
To me, Mr. Robot is the new "Walking Dead".

Season One was awesome, but it progressively got harder and harder to watch, so I'm done investing time in it.

I watched through the 2/3 of the season point THS referred to earlier, and that's the point in which I gave up.

Other than being disjointed and confusing, I found it to be basically plagiarism of Fight Club. The charismatic, enigmatic character was in the protagonist's psychologically damaged head the whole time? Shocking, where have I seen that before? The rag-tag team is trying to erase the world's debt by taking out credit card companies? Seems familiar. He sits in on emotional support groups? They play Where is My Mind by the Pixies as the fallout from their terrorist attack plays out? "He has the password, which means I have the password"?

It's basically the same plot, but with cyber terrorists instead of actual terrorists. It goes beyond homage and is just plagiarism, IMO.

And Evil Corp? That's a bit on the nose, no? I have to imagine it will be explained as part of his imagination, but as far as I watched, that's the actual name of an actual company.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Season 3

This show has lost me.  Don’t know what any of it means.

Only Angela’s unexplainable sexiness keeps me even remotely interested. Also Darlene.

Neither traditionally beautiful. Both unnervingly sexy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 12:30:58 PM »
This whole thread sounds like a weekend visit to Las Vegas by the X crew!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.