Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Lottery for Alabama?

Token

Re: Lottery for Alabama?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
I only care about the money I'm going to win at the scratch offs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »
We have had the lotto out here for a while here in Tejas. When it started it was to shore up the education budget, changed it later to general fund.

But I can tell you this, A lotto is a tax on poor people to get them pay their fair share. The unwash masses that clog up stores on the night before the numbers are drawn are a fun sight to watch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
We have had the lotto out here for a while here in Tejas. When it started it was to shore up the education budget, changed it later to general fund.

But I can tell you this, A lotto is a tax on poor people to get them pay their fair share. The unwash masses that clog up stores on the night before the numbers are drawn are a fun sight to watch.

I always wondered how you spent those nights.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »
I always wondered how you spent those nights.

It easier to shoplift beer when the stores are full.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 06:40:28 PM »
The general fund is in the red at the moment. Why don't you research how budgets work before throwing out stupid conspiracy statements.

Medicaid is also in the red. What would you do? Go "more" broke? Credit rating downgraded perhaps?
Yeah, because our State government would never pocket money...smh
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 06:42:07 PM »
10% for education.

Yikes.

70% to the general fund seems risky too. This seems destined to fail.

Word on the skreets is that it was the only version of the bill that would pass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
Yeah, because our State government would never pocket money...smh

You're beyond help. Audits by kpmg would never catch those guys that do that. Ever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
You're beyond help. Audits by kpmg would never catch those guys that do that. Ever.
You're beyond ignorance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »
You're beyond ignorance.

And you still don't understand budgets. There. Is. A. Shortfall.

That's the main purpose of this lotto proposal. Bentley did sell it though as a Medicaid helper. My guess to drum up support for it. But either way you slice it were in the hole fiscally. And it's either take away the goodies (roads, entitlements, etc) or raise taxes. One or the other. A lotto is just a voluntary tax.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 03:41:02 AM »

Yes and whatever a state calls it doesn't necessarily mean it will run smoothly or require tweaking see New Mexico as well as Georgia.

InN.M. education system was basically in shambles. They could carry college funding but secondary levels suffered and they struggled with construction of new schools.
Georgia upped its gpa requirements and made it more difficult for student entry to trade schools which lowered enrollment and worked to temper the financial strains in the short-term.

So from just a peek it would seem that a greater portion to the general fund (as in NY for example) would be in order considering how some areas of the budget are perpetually broke.

Never thought it would happen here due to so much lobbying against it and I'm the first to admit ignorance on the subject.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »
Bentley did sell it though as a Medicaid helper.

Bentley's original proposal had 100% of revenue going to the general fund.  Two different reps held everything up until education and medicaid, respectively, were allocated some revenue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
"Think of the people" - Gubenah Bentley

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »
Victoryland opening back up next month!

More tax revenue!

Maybe Uncle Miltie will buy us another QB!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.