Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Any automation & controls or electrical-electronics engineers here?

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
I finally got a job, but the learning curve is amplified beyond the norms. I'm having to learn plc programming (Siemens Step7 -Simatic S7-300, S7-400) with integrated Profibus system. I am not an electrical engineer, nor did I take I&E at a technical college. I have taken a process control and instrumentation course, but that was mainly for Rosemount instruments and not necessarily applicable to this job. This is controls on steroids.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/sce/en/advanced_training/training_material/classic-modules/tabcardpages/Documents/appendix/I_basics_s7.pdf

Thanks ahead of time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:23:55 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Any automation & controls or electrical-electronics engineers here?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
I finally got a job, but the learning curve is amplified beyond the norms. I'm having to learn plc programming (Siemens Step7 -Simatic S7-300, S7-400) with integrated Profibus system. I am not an electrical engineer, nor did I take I&E at a technical college. I have taken a process control and instrumentation course, but that was mainly for Rosemount instrument and not necessarily applicable to this job. This is controls on steroids.

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/sce/en/advanced_training/training_material/classic-modules/tabcardpages/Documents/appendix/I_basics_s7.pdf

Thanks ahead of time.

If you're dealing with semen, I can't help you. Better PM Vandy Vol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
I am not an engineer per se, however I have ridden on numerous trains and my grandfather retired from the railroad.

Also, as you probably already know, I also know quite a bit about computers (i.e. Excel, MS Word, MS Paint) and don't mind giving advice when I feel like I can contribute. And with my breadth of knowledge and skill set, that is most of the time.

Congrats on the job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:32:43 PM »
I am not an engineer per se, however I have ridden on numerous trains and my grandfather retired from the railroad.

Also, as you probably already know, I also know quite a bit about computers (i.e. Excel, MS Word, MS Paint) and don't mind giving advice when I feel like I can contribute. And with my breadth of knowledge and skill set, that is most of the time.

Congrats on the job.

Thank you. I believe we do involve some spreadsheets with this system. I'm officially beyond Arduino. It's been thirty years since I studied and wrote binary and hexadecimal code. Imma bit rusty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:02:05 PM »
Thank you. I believe we do involve some spreadsheets with this system. I'm officially beyond Arduino. It's been thirty years since I studied and wrote binary and hexadecimal code. Imma bit rusty.

Just remember, change out the boards one at a time!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:22:47 AM »
I finally got a job, but the learning curve is amplified beyond the norms. I'm having to learn plc programming (Siemens Step7 -Simatic S7-300, S7-400) with integrated Profibus system. I am not an electrical engineer, nor did I take I&E at a technical college. I have taken a process control and instrumentation course, but that was mainly for Rosemount instrument and not necessarily applicable to this job. This is controls on steroids.

Thanks ahead of time.
I'm currently working on my EE degree and my coop h is with a system integrator working with PLC programming, integration. and other controls; although, I work with Allen Bradley products.  I know a little bit of Siemens, and my only advice  is any 1 hour of work you plan on doing, make it 5 for a Siemen's processor.  If you have any questions feel free to send them and I can try to be of some help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »
I'm trying to figure out what channel Siemens is on.  Because I don't want to watch that one. 

I know I used to like some of the songs Profibus put out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
Well when I deal with tile and even carpet I do like to use a higher grade adhesive. But when the tv isn't doing its thing it's better to just go all out and do some basic photons to sort it all back into a state of reverse vocabulary. If you know what I mean wink wink. But the catch is to find it on sale and its best not to tread lightly and to go all out or at best 70% if so inclined. The 70s manuals are good and I try my best buy who knows. When in doubt you may a catch a good one if fraud isn't involved. Good luck though man!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
I'm currently working on my EE degree and my coop h is with a system integrator working with PLC programming, integration. and other controls; although, I work with Allen Bradley products.  I know a little bit of Siemens, and my only advice  is any 1 hour of work you plan on doing, make it 5 for a Siemen's processor.  If you have any questions feel free to send them and I can try to be of some help.

I appreciatè it brother.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:25:32 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what channel Siemens is on.  Because I don't want to watch that one. 

I know I used to like some of the songs Profibus put out.

Profibus puts out?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »
Do you have to remove the vaccuum tubes in order to get to the heart of the Semenator 7000?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
Do you have to remove the vaccuum tubes in order to get to the heart of the Semenator 7000?

Depends if fraud is involved with the 70s manuals. See my above post. Should answer all your questions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE