Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Diminished legacy?

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Diminished legacy?
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
I have no doubt the Warriors will get up off the mat and knock out the Thunder in seven games. Nor do I doubt the Cavs will turn away the Raptors (is that even who they're playing?).  That's what the NBA wants right now is attention and a sweep by either would be anticlimactic.  They needed the Warriors to look flawed and become a resurrection story because people were starting to hate them.   They needed the Cavs to be pushed for the greater good.

But.... what if? 

What if the Thunder do eliminate the Currys?  Only unanimous MVP and the record for regular season wins.  Do those achievements become "who gives a shit" if they lead nowhere?

Do you particularly care about the 1999 Auburn team that got a Number One seed and bowed out in ugly fashion in the Sweet 16?  Do you remember SEC POY Chris Porter fondly or at all?   Would you care more or less if that team had won the NC the year before?

And at what point does LeBron become a punchline?  He's like the Buffalo Bills/Minnesota Vikings  of basketball, except he's at least climbed the mountain in the past.  Maybe he's more the Atlanta Braves.  All those trips to the playoffs, all those chances, all those great pitchers and ..... except for the one year Glavine just willed them past Cleveland in game six?  Nada.  I do remember that one game.  Justice had been a bitch about the fans and got booed. But it was his homer and Glavine's eight innings of one hit ball that will stick with me.  That one hit wasn't even hard hit.  Just a little flare.  The dude was masterful.  Never seen a better pitching combo than Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux in my life.  And still to this day?  Fuck Charlie Leibrandt. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: Diminished legacy?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
I think without a ring, 73-9 means jack shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »
I'm somewhat of an NBA fan.  I follow it and I will watch.  While I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist, but my big gripe is that the playoffs are tooooooo F'n long.  And too many teams get in.  But, as long as people will watch, that's what the NBA will give them.  Early round series should always be best of 5.  But 7 makes $$$$. 

On Curry and the Warriors, if they lose, they're Brady and the Patriots trying, but failing to go undefeated.  No undefeated season, no Super Bowl ring.  Nice try. 

With regard to Porter and his two years on the Plains, yeah, seemed like a huge letdown but I still remember that squad fondly because that was the last, and one of the few times in history Auburn basketball has been relevant. 

Lebron.  Never be a punchline in my book.  He has 2 rings so he's already wiped out that moniker. I think most people who follow the NBA realize that his first trip to the finals with the Cavs was him against the world.  So was last year.  Cleveland is all about the big 3, just like Miami was all about the big 3.  Last year he faced GS without Irving or Love.  He did have a Dellevedova, or some shit. 

Braves.  I blame Bobby.  While all credit is due for taking a franchise to the penthouse after defining "outhouse" for decades, he was a complete failure when it counted.  Each and every year, they approached the playoffs as "Professionals".  The players themselves said it. They never got too high or low.  They stayed business-like and professional while ultimately getting their collective asses whipped by a team that was genuinely excited to be there, spent the entire series on the top step of the dugout and wearing rally caps.  While Bobby's Braves sat there and took it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
Not to make excuses for them but this ain't the Warriors team that reeled off 55 of their first 60. This team has been pretty heavily injured the last month. And when it's two of their best players it matters.

Oh btw, F lebron. I don't care who wins as long as it's not his ass. I like Durant. And the raptors are a scrappy no name bunch. I like how the Warriors play and their cast of characters. They have fun. So yeah, any of them but lebron.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
Not to make excuses for them but this ain't the Warriors team that reeled off 55 of their first 60. This team has been pretty heavily injured the last month. And when it's two of their best players it matters.

Oh btw, F lebron. I don't care who wins as long as it's not his ass. I like Durant. And the raptors are a scrappy no name bunch. I like how the Warriors play and their cast of characters. They have fun. So yeah, any of them but lebron.

I'll fuck you, buddy.  Wait.....I mean....fuck you, buddy.  I don't roll with that first part. 

How bout' those Bears this year, huh?

I'm not  Lebron hater.  Dude made a huge mistake with all that announcement, moving to Miami crap.  He owned up to it.  I like Durant too.  Most people don't care for Westbrook, I think mostly because of perception.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder and to be honest, he's got that cocky ass scowl going on all the time.  But damn, that guy has elevated his game to elite level.  Would love to see those two get a ring this year.  Don't think they'll be on OKC next season.

One guy he (Westbrook) reminds me of that will never, ever reach his unbelievable potential because of numerous injuries, is Derrick Rose.  A lot of preconceived opinions about the guy and on the court, he looks like he's cocky and a little mad.  If you listen to any interview, the guy is as quiet and humble as they come.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:35:06 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:53:45 PM »
I'll fuck you, buddy.  Wait.....I mean....fuck you, buddy.  I don't roll with that first part. 

How bout' those Bears this year, huh?

I'm not  Lebron hater.  Dude made a huge mistake with all that announcement, moving to Miami crap.  He owned up to it.  I like Durant too.  Most people don't care for Westbrook, I think mostly because of perception.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder and to be honest, he's got that cocky ass scowl going on all the time.  But damn, that guy has elevated his game to elite level.  Would love to see those two get a ring this year.  Don't think they'll be on OKC next season.

One guy he (Westbrook) reminds me of that will never, ever reach his unbelievable potential because of numerous injuries, is Derrick Rose.  A lot of preconceived opinions about the guy and on the court, he looks like he's cocky and a little mad.  If you listen to any interview, the guy is as quiet and humble as they come.

Only if you cuddle with me first. Uhhmm I mean, yeah good points there snags. Good points.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
It will be OKC vs the Cavs.

Rookie Coach Billy Donovan has figured out if you manhandle the MVP you can shut them down.

Should make for an interesting Final, and a scrappy one.

as for the GSW winning the regular season means dick, ask the 2007 (18-1) New England Patriots
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:32:38 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
Don't hate lebron either.  One of the few guys who lived up to the massive hype. 

He's no Jordan.  Then again he doesn't have a Scottie Pippen or  Rodman either.  Don't know that Jordan would have been Jordan without his supporting cast.  Same with Shaq. Needed Kobe (or a healthy and not jealous penny). Kobe had to have Shaq. 

Lebron was better when he had Wade.  He needs that one piece.  Can't be just him.  Cleveland can't get that for him.  When they make the finals they will lose.  Again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
Lebron was better when he had Wade.  He needs that one piece.  Can't be just him.  Cleveland can't get that for him.  When they make the finals they will lose.  Again.
They have Irving, problem with him is, he wants to be the star.  IMO that's what made Pippen so great, he knew his roll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
They have Irving, problem with him is, he wants to be the star.  IMO that's what made Pippen so great, he knew his roll.

See, that's why my marriage has worked for so long.  I know my roll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 12:09:10 PM »
See, that's why my marriage has worked for so long.  I know my roll.

look your testicles are nailed to a plaque...we know your role as this is how ms. snag's rolls. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »

Maybe we should have a Role call to see who agrees?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
Sorry, but a toll is a toll, and a roll is a roll, and if we don't get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »
Sorry, but a toll is a toll, and a roll is a roll, and if we don't get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls.

Dangerously close to calling the Day Man. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »
Don't hate lebron either.  One of the few guys who lived up to the massive hype. 

He's no Jordan.  Then again he doesn't have a Scottie Pippen or  Rodman either.  Don't know that Jordan would have been Jordan without his supporting cast.  Same with Shaq. Needed Kobe (or a healthy and not jealous penny). Kobe had to have Shaq. 

2-4 in finals. Sounds like a good player that isn't clutch.

You could also argue Jordan made those guys better. Pippen was avg post Jordan. So was Horace Grant.

Lebron has more natural talent in his starting 5 in cleveland than Jordan ever did at any one time. Irving and Love could be (and Love has been) stars on other teams.

Jordan had what - pippen and then who? Grant, Paxton, Kerr (ironic huh?), bill wennington, bj, luc longley, kukoc, Rodman for a few of those years. Lebron has been surrounded by boocoodles of talent in Miami and now in Cleveland.

That said, the Jordan and lebron comparisons end there. They are apples and oranges on style. Lebron is more similar to magic. In style and size. Kobe is closer to Jordan is style and size. And sheer speed. Kobe is a horses ass but dude could ball in his prime like no one else in the league.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »

Maybe we should have a Role call to see who agrees?

shut it....no one likes you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
Dangerously close to calling the Day Man.

Fighter of the Night Man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
Fighter of the Night Man.

Master of karate? And friendship?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »
I have no doubt the Warriors will get up off the mat and knock out the Thunder in seven games. Nor do I doubt the Cavs will turn away the Raptors (is that even who they're playing?).  That's what the NBA wants right now is attention and a sweep by either would be anticlimactic.  They needed the Warriors to look flawed and become a resurrection story because people were starting to hate them.   They needed the Cavs to be pushed for the greater good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »

Bottomfeeder hack your acct?

I think both are explainable.

Raptors/cavs has become a home court contest. Typical of both teams too so not surprising.

Warriors and okc- okc came into that series hot. Warriors came in very out of sync and battered. They seem to have gelled again at the right time. And I'll still stick to this unpopular opinion - Thompson is just as valuable to the Warriors as curry. Kid is an underrated player and finally starting to get his due.

Personally I like both series. And I like it to be 3-2 and 3-3 with good games. The raptors I was never crazy about for being in the finals but the cavs vs either of the other 2 in the west is an instant ratings bonanza because of the lebron vs Durant/curry effect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE