Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Hand Factor

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
The Hand Factor
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
Lifted from StatTiger over at ITAT:

Something to watch for in 2016 will be Herb Hand's contribution to Auburn's offense and his influence at West Virginia under Coach Rich Rodriguez.

During the 2005 season, West Virginia started a young athletic QB in Pat White. He had more of an impact in the Mountaineer's spread-option, running the football than passing. White split time with another quarterback that year, eventually taking over as the full time starter. He threw only 114 times during 11 regular season games for 828-yards, including 8 TD passes to 5 interceptions. White finished the regular season with 952-yards rushing and 7 TD's.

Auburn has yet to name a starting quarterback as John Franklin III, will go into the Summer, still in competition to become the starter. At minimum, Rhett Lashlee has already hinted that JFIII will find a role in the offense even if he fails to win the starting role at QB.

Owen Schmitt was a fullback in the West Virginia offense, while Coach Herb Hand was on staff. Schmitt was 6-2, 251 and became a major contributor in WVU's spread-option offense. During his 3 years as a Mountaineer, Schmitt rushed for 1003-yards on only 160 carries, scoring 13 rushing TD's. He possessed an impressive 6.3 yards per rush and also caught 32 passes for 288-yards and 2 additional TD's.

Auburn's Chandler Cox and Kamryn Pettway were given the opportunity to expand their role in the Auburn offense this Spring and both responded with great camps. They both proved to be effective runners but it was at the RB position. Gus Malzahn has featured his FB in the pass-offense during his 10-year collegiate career but not so much as runners from the FB position. This is where Herb Hand could bring something new to the table in 2016.

Owen Schmitt burns the Georgia defense during the 2006 Sugar Bowl:

photo Schmitt Run_zpsddtj18t8.jpg

The above play displays elements we have already seen in Malzahn's offense. Auburn with an athletic quarterback has already exhibit elements of the spread-option offense. This includes 2-back sets and cross-buck action with the RB's. The key in 2016 is finding ways for the Cox and Pettway to run from the FB position. What we witnessed in A-Day was Cox and Pettway playing RB in Malzahn's offense.

Chandler Cox and Kamryn Pettway are not as big as Owen Schmitt but they both are more athletic and can also have an impact in the passing game. Both Auburn fullbacks could play a major role in the 2016 Auburn offense regardless of the starting quarterback. West Virginia primarily operated in the spread but utilized the I-Formation at times with Owen Schmitt at the FB position. WVU also had one back sets with Schmitt as the only RB on the field. He often acted as a lead blocker in 1-back set for Pat White or as a "check down" on pass plays.

Even if JFIII fails to start, he could be given an offensive package which could update Gus Malzahn's "wildcat" package. With question marks at offensive tackle, the interior of the OL appears to be strong at center and guard. Establishing a physical running game would take the pressure off the new starting tackles. We saw how physical Auburn could be in the running game during A-Day. Imagine and offensive package with a combination of JFIII at QB, Jovon Robinson at RB and Cox or Pettway at FB. It could also include Roc Thomas in the slot at WR, who could double as an additional runner.

For those disappointed in what they saw during A-Day, there was no way Malzahn was going to open up the playbook or expose anything new added to the offense for 2016. West Virginia went 11-1 with a young team in 2005, including a victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. The Mountaineers were No. 4 nationally in rushing with 272.4 yards per game.

A strong running game, an efficient passing game and an improved defense would make Auburn a very dangerous team in 2016. IMO, this might be the most physical Auburn squad under Gus Malzahn and possibly over the past decade.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: The Hand Factor
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
11-1 here we come.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »
11-1 here we come.

12-0.  Concede nothing, pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »

For those disappointed in what they saw during A-Day, there was no way Malzahn was going to open up the playbook or expose anything new added to the offense for 2013 2014 2015 2016.

Fixed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
Both of the H-Backs had a big run and several punishing 6-10 yard runs.  That could be a nice change up for the 2016 season...actually using them for a change.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »
12-0.  Concede nothing, pussy.
no it was based on the Mountaineers going 11-1 in 05...nevermind
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »
no it was based on the Mountaineers going 11-1 in 05...nevermind

I got it.

You were corrected.

Carry on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions