Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

QB battle

kirkAU

QB battle
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
looks like Tubbs is going with Todd as the starter at QB.  what say ya'll? 

here is a portion from an article on rivals concerning tubb's take on the situation:

The battle for Auburn's starting quarterback position appears to be over, for now, after Chris Todd's impressive performance against Southern Miss Saturday.

But AU head coach Tommy Tuberville expects backup Kodi Burns to keep fighting for the job.

"Kodi is a competitor," said Tuberville. "He's concerned and I'm glad. Like I told him, 'Go out there and fight. Fight like heck because one play could change everything.' He knows that.

"I want the quarterbacks here to be very competitive but also be team players. He's always been that. He's always been supportive of Chris, and Chris has always been supportive of him."

Tuberville said he met with Burns Sunday afternoon. While AU now has a clear starter in Todd, Tuberville said he's certainly not counting Burns out of the equation.

"Chris a guy that will obviously be the starter this week, but you can't just count out a competitive Kodi Burns, who has worked real hard to be the starter here and has been so close," Tuberville said. "It will stay close. There won't be a lot of short leashes, for both quarterbacks. If Chris were to go out and Kodi go in, Kodi's going to have the ability to run the offense and show what he can do."

Tuberville said Burns will definitely play this season but didn't define what his role will be.

"We're not going to stereotype him as a guy that's just going to go run the ball," Tuberville said. "Kodi's passing has gotten much better. His numbers were as good in scrimmages as Chris's.

"Unfortunately, we've played two games and a lot of times the ball bounces your way, like winning a game, it bounced Chris' way, he made some plays. Kodi went out there in a situation that was, couple blocks missed, and it looks like Kodi's not doing his job, but it's the bounce of the ball. The players really like both of them. They'll rally behind whoever's out there."

Tuberville is hoping to put the quarterback situation behind them and focus the team on the SEC schedule, which gets started this Saturday with a trip to Mississippi State.

"You have to move on," Tuberville said. "We're going into conference. He's been a big part of what we're doing and he'll continue that. That's not to say in a couple of weeks that he's not the starter. That's how this business goes."

From the Southern Miss game, i thought todd was pretty impressive.  Lester and Tate fumbling in the redzone was frustrating.  Todd had a few passes they appear to just float.  And about every third of fourth passing play, he'll sit in the pocket too long. 

Kodi Burns: other than his TD run, he looked pretty bad.  I'll concede he didn't that much of a chance.  he played maybe 5 minutes?  It'll be interesting to see how this competition goes now that we are entering SEC play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: QB battle
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »
I truly think they need to have a "short yardage" package ready for SEC play that includes Burns, but he also needs to come in for at least a series or two each game otherwise if the game allows.  Watching the same sweep hand off in goal line situations was frustrating...Tate scored that TD all on his own IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Six

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »
I don't care.  We could have a one legged Filipino hairlip at QB, as long as we win and we have an effecient passing game. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »
I don't care.  We could have a one legged Filipino hairlip at QB, as long as we win and we have an effecient passing game. 

Why do you hate handicapped Fillipino's with Hairlips?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Tiger Six

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »
Why do you hate handicapped Fillipino's with Hairlips?
I don't.  If they can go 18 for 22 for 200 yards, I love them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
Why the hairlip? Tebow botch the circumcision?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
Why the hairlip? Tebow botch the circumcision?
so now, Tim Tebow is Shaky the Moil?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."