Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Apple vs. FBI

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Apple vs. FBI
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
Talked to a guy this morning that was quite concerned about this battle and the long term privacy/security implications if the FBI gets their way.  I've read a little on the subject so I know just enough not to be dangerous.  My definite lack of electronic/computer/techno-beat knowledge is well documented.  Therefore, I'm asking for input from some of you guys that are well versed in downloading videos to facebook.

As I understand it, the FBI wants to force Apple to create a tool that would allow more access to the iPhone.  The FBI is claiming it's a one-time request to allow them to unlock the phones used by the San Bernadino terrorists.

That seems to be the basic premise of the argument, but even my technology challenged brain can see some serious privacy issues on the horizon if this happens.  I'm not a big conspiracy theorist kind of guy but does anyone think this is a one-time deal?  Does anyone think it wouldn't be just a matter of time before this ability to further hack into a phone falls into the wrong hands?  If the government can force Apple to make their devices less secure....who is next?     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Apple vs. FBI
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
From my understanding, the San Bernadino phone has already been unlocked. The feds want the ability to unlock any phone without having to ask Apple. Sure, they will get a warrant first...SURE!

I say they get a warrant and apple unlock it for them on a warrant by warrant basis.

Others say they are waiting on hundreds of phones to be unlocked already and they want to speed the process up. If that is the case, then pass legislation that says, barring a court order, phone carriers have a limited amount of time to unlock the phones until heavy fines set in.

But do not give up the codes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »
The FBI are idiots. I guess the want to spy all of the time, in real time. Otherwise there is this.

https://www.elcomsoft.com/purchase/purchase.php?product=eift&additional=ELCOM_PROG_PAGE.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:29:48 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
Hell, I got everything off of an iPhone 4 using ubuntu.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Hell, I got everything off of an iPhone 4 using ubuntu.

Yeah. Uh move into the 2000s please.

The mew iPhones have a much better encryption package.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
Yeah. Uh move into the 2000s please.

The mew iPhones have a much better encryption package.

CLEARS THROAT

That was 2010.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
I will only have an apple product.  They won't lose this battle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »
The gubermint caused this problem, so they must find a way to six it. Fucking idiotic public sector.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »
CLEARS THROAT

That was 2010.

YOU.....cannot get into a locked iPhone 6 or up. I can promise you that. And you really have no idea what you are talking about here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 06:22:46 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 07:02:45 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-denies-governments-motion-apple-unlock-iphone-narcotics/story?id=37293929

Eat a dick, over reaching assholes.

This^^ is where I'm at.  Well....not the dick eating part.  The other..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »
Judge's statement:
In short, whatever else the AWA's "usages and principles" clause may be intended to accomplish, it cannot be a means for the executive branch to achieve a legislative goal that Congress has considered and rejected.

The government's position also produces a wholly different kind of absurdity: the idea that the First Congress might so thoroughly undermine fundamental principles of the Constitution that many of its members had personally just helped to write or to ratify. Its preferred reading of the law – which allows a court to confer on the executive branch any investigative authority Congress has decided to withhold, so long as it has not affirmatively outlawed it – would transform the AWA from a limited gap-filing statute that ensures the smooth functioning of the judiciary itself into a mechanism for upending the separation of powers by delegating to the judiciary a legislative power bounded only by Congress's superior ability to prohibit or preempt. I conclude that the constitutionality of such an interpretation is so doubtful as to render it impermissible as a matter of statutory construction.

It is also clear that the government has made the considered decision that it is better off securing such crypto-legislative authority from the courts (in proceedings that had always been, at the time it filed the instant Application, shielded from public scrutiny) rather than taking the chance that open legislative debate might produce a result less to its liking. Indeed, on the very same day that the government filed the ex parte Application in this case (as well as a similar application in the Southern District of New York, see DE 27 at 2), it made a public announcement that after months of discussion about the need to update CALEA to provide the kind of authority it seeks here, it would not seek such legislation.
BOOM MOTHAFUCKA!

War Damn Tim Cook.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »
This is a good thing. If you want a device unlocked, get a court order.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions