Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I'll go ahead and say it...

Tiger Six

I'll go ahead and say it...
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:39:16 AM »
The offense looked good.  The turnovers concern me, but that is a lot easier to fix than general ineptitude that was on display during Week 1. 

Defense will keep us in any game.  Special teams shouldn't lose us any games and should be a strength. 

I would be comfortable with either quarterback, despite Kodi's less than stellar performance.  That interception should have never been thrown.  The pass that he had where the receiver caught it out of bounds was a pretty ball. 

Franklin and Todd get kudos this week. 

That is all.  Carry on.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:05:49 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: I'll go ahead and say it...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »
Our run defense is nothing but a brick wall. However, USM had several dropped passes that they could have capitalized on and in the third quarter they finally started doing that. So, our secondary has me a little concerned to know what an actual decent passing team could do against us.

If Todd can keep the offense moving like that, we will be okay as long as our RBs can hold on to the ball. I would like to see our receivers to get more separation for more passing opportunities down field. The lack of them being able to do that is going to limit the passing game or whoever our QB is.

When Robert Dunn actually goes straight right after catching the ball on punts, he has shown how dangerous he can be. He still ran east to west on a couple of his returns today, but he is obviously getting better.

If Todd does become our permanent starter, I think we could still utilize him in some other way on offense. He is too talented to just sit on the sidelines. We all know it is not uncommon for a player to be moved to another position from the one he was recruited for, but would Kodi go for that. That is just a "what if" anyway, because Todd does not have the job yet. All it takes is for him to falter and Kodi come in and play well enough to earn the starting spot for the next game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:23:49 AM »
Things looked good.   Should have won 41-13, but saw some solid passing, so it was a good win.  One slightly thrown-behind post pass to Rod Smith from looking REALLY good.   The screens looked better, and receivers looked ready to go get a ball today.   

The offense took a step forward today, and that's really all you can hope for at this point.   

SEC play begins next week....  I think we'll be ready.   :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »
We'll be doing so without Chris Slaughter....He was suspended for the USM game and might be suspended for another game, possibly most of the season (6 games max). 

I agree, the two fumbles in the first quarter and the Kodi ill advised pass in the third took at least 13 to 21 points off the board. 

I HATE that our Corners are playing 7-10 yards off of the receivers nearly all of the times.  And the middle of the field seems to be open on Every passing play.  Thank God, USM dropped a ton of catchable passes.  Our Defense needs to get tougher across the board, LBers need to drop, at least, 5 yards more.....I want our Defense to, literally, HURT people.  Also, is it just me, or does it seem like the slip out, to the RB, is open on Every passing play?

Like I told Jumbo after the ULM game, in my eyes, it's always good to have things to work on early in the season and coming off a big win.  I'd rather the coaches and the players know what they need to work on early in the season and keep getting better, every game.

Also, from what I was told, Auburn still hasn't showed anything.  They were just able to complete the passes against USM that they couldn't against ULM, because ULM was determined to shut the pass down.....that's why the RBs ran over and around them once CTF realized this.  USM was determined to shut down the run.......that's why CT was able to find open receivers. 

And....Auburn has the "Jumbo Package", look for it against either MSU.....if that game is played (Hurricane Ike and all).....if not MSU, it'll, more than likely, be against LSU.

I can't wait to hear a little bammer melt down come Monday on the PF Show.  I'm thinking about calling in, to stir the pot a little.  I'll camouflage myself as a bammer.  So that way, Paul won't just shoot me down and hang up on me.

WAR MUTHA FUCKIN' EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:28:53 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »
The offense looked good.  The turnovers concern me, but that is a lot easier to fix than general ineptitude that was on display during Week 1. 

Defense will keep us in any game.  Special teams shouldn't lose us any games and should be a strength. 

I would be comfortable with either quarterback, despite Kodi's less than stellar performance.  That interception should have never been thrown.  The pass that he had where the receiver caught it out of bounds was a pretty ball. 

Franklin and Todd get kudos this week. 

That is all.  Carry on.

I feel some better but not completely assuaged.  (is that a word?)  It was pretty obvious that USM decided to stop the run at all costs and AU (in the first half) made them pay for that. 

Here is my concern, still.  In the first half AU moved the ball well on offense and allowed the defense plenty of time to rest.  AU controlled the tempo and physically whipped USM.  But in the second half -- for whatever reason, QB changes, punishing backs for fumbling, whatever -- AU lost  offensive rhythm.  After a couple of short series that each took about 12 seconds off the clock, USM started to find and exploit weaknesses.  To me, the primary reason for that was that the defense started to get gassed -- just like theirs did in the first half.  If you look at TOP, we dominated in the first half and WERE dominated in the second. Final TOP ended up just 20 seconds different.  And THAT'S why it looked like AU was struggling I think.  When you're running out of gas, you can't play press.  You've got to give a cushion so you have time to react, because if you're running on empty and the guy gets by, well it's a bigger and perhaps more devastating play.  When you're out of gas, you give up six or seven yards to prevent giving up sixty or seventy -- and hope the opposition makes some mistakes when you force them to cover the entire field.  I guess what I'm saying is that when the hurry up offensive philisophy is clicking, it can work. But when it isn't sustaining drives for any length of time, it really puts your defense at a disadvantage.  But I'm not really complaining. AU should have scored 40-50 and erased all doubt.

Auburn played much better on offense. Much more confidence and variety although there were still few downfield throws. Burns looked absolutely spastic on his series and I wonder what the thinking was in those instances. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
I'm thinking Burns just tried to do too much with little practice this time, a little tentativeness with his leg.  His timing was off just like the first game.  I think he gets his full share of reps, he starts to get in line a little.   Todd definitely separated himself this week though.  I agree with Prowler in a sense, I'm still not sure we brought that much more to the table though.   I think the main thing that happened was Tuberville downshifting in the second half again, and that I don't like.

We've GOT to develop that killer instinct for the entire game.  JMO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
I was very happy to see the offense moving the ball up and down the field, with the pass and the run.  Todd looked more composed in the pocket, and threw some pretty balls to what looked like a different receiving corps.  All of the running backs need to have a week long lesson on holding onto the football (like the one in The Program).  When Burns came in on the goal line and scored the touchdown, that looked like a Tebow play during his fresh year.  SoMiss knew it was coming, and still couldn't stop it.  If Todd continues to lead the O like he did in this game, then look for Kodi to be used like Tebow was that year.

Now the Defense.  They looked nasty in the first half, and into the third quarter.  I even thought that they might get back to back shutouts.  Then when SoMiss scored it looked like they kinda gave up for a while.  How the fuck does a team let the other team convert all of those LONG fourth downs?  I was getting pissed at the D during the fourth quarter.  I guess they were a little gassed as someone has already mentioned, but you would think that they would be a little used to it, seeing as how they worked against the same offense during the biggest part of fall camp. 

Oh well, overall I'm happy, the Tigers are 2-0, and bama didn't look like a juggernaut against the mighty Green Wave.   :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
I feel some better but not completely assuaged.  (is that a word?)  It was pretty obvious that USM decided to stop the run at all costs and AU (in the first half) made them pay for that. 

Here is my concern, still.  In the first half AU moved the ball well on offense and allowed the defense plenty of time to rest.  AU controlled the tempo and physically whipped USM.  But in the second half -- for whatever reason, QB changes, punishing backs for fumbling, whatever -- AU lost  offensive rhythm.  After a couple of short series that each took about 12 seconds off the clock, USM started to find and exploit weaknesses.  To me, the primary reason for that was that the defense started to get gassed -- just like theirs did in the first half.  If you look at TOP, we dominated in the first half and WERE dominated in the second. Final TOP ended up just 20 seconds different.  And THAT'S why it looked like AU was struggling I think.  When you're running out of gas, you can't play press.  You've got to give a cushion so you have time to react, because if you're running on empty and the guy gets by, well it's a bigger and perhaps more devastating play.  When you're out of gas, you give up six or seven yards to prevent giving up sixty or seventy -- and hope the opposition makes some mistakes when you force them to cover the entire field.  I guess what I'm saying is that when the hurry up offensive philisophy is clicking, it can work. But when it isn't sustaining drives for any length of time, it really puts your defense at a disadvantage.  But I'm not really complaining. AU should have scored 40-50 and erased all doubt.

Auburn played much better on offense. Much more confidence and variety although there were still few downfield throws. Burns looked absolutely spastic on his series and I wonder what the thinking was in those instances. 
I agree Kevin, a couple things I'd like to add...
  • Second half was very sloppy , no doubt. However, even though USM is a second tier team they run a fast paced offense, and our D was gassed due to that.
  • I don't believe we play another fast paced offense till IMO WVU
  • The first TD was on Kodi's mistake, and was a short field
  • We stopped them a bunch of third downs, however we had a hard time stopping them on the 4th.  They were playing without abandon and once your tired it is hard to clamp down on the two consecutive downs.  We had some penalties that kept their drives alive[/Ii]
Overall we look much improved, as most stated score should have been at least 2-3 TDs more. I think last week was truly a mixture of nerves and the stupid rotation, neither QB could get any tempo. Still waiting on a complete game though, need to improve or we will struggle against the likes of LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
I feel much better about the offense after this week's performance.  When (not if) we put it all together, we are going to be a pretty damn good team.  I was glad to see Todd go out and have a good game.  That flip to Tate as he was going down was a thing of beauty and showed good instinct.

Yet again, our defense was nasty.  I too was hoping for back-to-back shutouts, but after Kodi's interception gave them excellent field position it was too much to ask.  I was glad to see them pull it together again in the 4th and get a couple of picks.  The INT from Powers was awesome. 

Overall, I'd give our performance a B to a B-.  If we don't cough the ball up those 2 times in the red zone and get a stupid penalty on Dunn's punt return for a TD, I would have graded us an A.  Thankfully, all of those mistakes are easily corrected. 

Most of all, I'm just glad we have a starting QB.  As much as I wanted Kodi to be the man, I have confidence in Todd to get the job done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
I'll preface this by saying that the passing game was much better this week....but....

Can Todd put any more fucking air under the ball?  A three yard pass to the sideline takes ten minutes to get there.  A little more zip on the pass and we might be able to get some YAC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
I'll preface this by saying that the passing game was much better this week....but....

Can Todd put any more fucking air under the ball?  A three yard pass to the sideline takes ten minutes to get there.  A little more zip on the pass and we might be able to get some YAC. 

I agree....his arm strength is not what it could be. I noticed the same thing on Saturday. He looked better in every other facet of the game though. And Ogre you are right, the play where he pitched it to Tate when falling down was vintage Favre...great looking play!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
  A three yard pass to the sideline takes ten minutes to get there. 

These concern me greatly!  more so from the standpoint of a CB breaking on the ball and taking it yard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
I agree....his arm strength is not what it could be. I noticed the same thing on Saturday. He looked better in every other facet of the game though. And Ogre you are right, the play where he pitched it to Tate when falling down was vintage Favre...great looking play!

Since we're nitpicking...

Todd seems okay when he turns and throws to his left.  But passes to the right have nothing on them.  Last week and this, he either lobbed up air balls (which will be intercepted by teams like LSU, etc.) or he bounced them there. 

He also skipped around and just wouldn't pull the trigger on some downfield throws he could have made. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »
Two things I took from Saturday's game:

1)  The offense, at least in it's infant stages, will be hard pressed to score more than 14-17 points against a solid SEC defense.  I expect to see Burns in there a little more on Saturday night after it is realized that the sweeps and screens aren't all that and an SEC win.

2)  The defense will not have much problem at all stopping an offense like MSU.  It's the teams with dual threats like Ole Miss, Alabama and Georgia that will give them fits.  I think this mainly because of the youth and inexperience in the secondary.  Luckily, they play all three later in the season.  Maybe the secondary will grow up by then, because I think they have a chance to be special with more playing time together.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I got a comment:

My 7 year old son made $5.00 helping me in the yard yesterday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:41:59 AM »
I got a comment:

My 7 year old son made $5.00 helping me in the yard yesterday.
Is that where you are sleeping now that the hot wife is pissed at you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »
You know, Steve, I'm a little miffed that you didn't introduce me to the wifey when you were down last.  If she's that hot, then I could work the three-way angle with your daughter as well.  Giggity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

kirkAU

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »

i agree it seem to take about a half second to second too long for the ball to get to a receiver in the flat.  With a little more zip, which i think we'll see against MSU, we'll see some explosive plays.  

On the Auburn Football Review Show last night, Tubbs talked about how in this type offense, when the QB swings the ball out, it is the receivers job to make the first guy miss.  Also, how speed is the key.  I think we saw some of this against USM.  Billings, Tristan Davis, Rod Smith, and Dunn all made people miss tackles and turned a 5 yard gain into a 15-20 yard gain.  

If the offense can perfect this out passes, use players that can make some type of athletic move such as Smith, Davis, Billings, etc, then we'll see some explosive plays.  By the way, did anyone else notice the Offensive Linemen hustling down field to throw blocks on those quick screens and out passes?  thought it was a good win, made improvement, but agree the score shoulda been 40something to 13.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
You know, Steve, I'm a little miffed that you didn't introduce me to the wifey when you were down last.  If she's that hot, then I could work the three-way angle with your daughter as well.  Giggity.
Now thats explosive :blink:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 04:52:08 PM »

You'd be running for cover from the nagging in a matter of minutes.  Have at it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."