Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Just hit me that we're playing in Legion Field

Just hit me that we're playing in Legion Field
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:18:34 AM »
It would be a "little brother" temper tantrum to refuse the invite and we certainly need the extra practices, but I cannot believe we're about to drag our beat up program into Legion Field to play a non-power 5 school.

Legion Field to me simply represents an awful era of Auburn not only with football but socially and culturally in the state. I was not alive during this time, but I've heard enough stories and testimonies to know that Alabama treated their football success and state influence as means to oppress and squash all things Auburn.

It's no secret that Alabama has influence in the media, makes attempts to soil Auburn's reputation, and tries to prevent Auburn from having success. You can read about those attempts elsewhere, but Auburn learned how to fight back in 80s, and getting the hell out of Legion Field was one of the better uppercuts in the rivalry.

Maybe some Auburn fans don't realize this, but "9 in a row" only tells a small section of that era. 9 straight losses could have easily have been 11 without the miraculous Punt, Bama, Punt game. But even 11 only tells part of the story. Auburn went 5-18 against Alabama from 1958 to 1981 while being shut out 7 times. And throughout this era, Auburn was told that Legion Field was a neutral site, to never complain, and to know her role. That Legion Field was good for the state. That Legion Field was a cultural landmark.

Bo Over the Top marked a pivotal moment in the rivalry. It turned it into a fair rivalry. It was a statement that Auburn would no longer roll over and play dead for Alabama. That the era of Bryant had come to a close. That a process had started to elevate Auburn's status not only in state but nationally.

You ever wanted to know why the 1989 Iron Bowl is called by most Auburn fans that were there to have been the loudest, most electrifying atmosphere in Tiger history?

We're 18-16 against Alabama since 1982. We've had two Heisman trophy winners, three undefeated seasons, five SEC championships, and a national championship. We're a national brand with professional athletes and Hall of Famers stretching across all three major sports.

And I personally believe that getting out of Legion Field put a cap on the era that did so much to hinder Auburn's potential success.

It just hit that we're going back there. That over the past seven years, Auburn's finished last in the SEC West five times. That on forums that feature multiple perspectives on college football, Auburn is a laughing stock. That Auburn has disfunction in its athletic department. That Auburn brags about toys like a Jumbotron while trying to hide extreme issues like our defense, our lack of quarterbacks, our team discipline issues.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:20:09 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Just hit me that we're playing in Legion Field
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
It would be a "little brother" temper tantrum to refuse the invite and we certainly need the extra practices, but I cannot believe we're about to drag our beat up program into Legion Field to play a non-power 5 school.

Legion Field to me simply represents an awful era of Auburn not only with football but socially and culturally in the state. I was not alive during this time, but I've heard enough stories and testimonies to know that Alabama treated their football success and state influence as means to oppress and squash all things Auburn.

It's no secret that Alabama has influence in the media, makes attempts to soil Auburn's reputation, and tries to prevent Auburn from having success. You can read about those attempts elsewhere, but Auburn learned how to fight back in 80s, and getting the hell out of Legion Field was one of the better uppercuts in the rivalry.

Maybe some Auburn fans don't realize this, but "9 in a row" only tells a small section of that era. 9 straight losses could have easily have been 11 without the miraculous Punt, Bama, Punt game. But even 11 only tells part of the story. Auburn went 5-18 against Alabama from 1958 to 1981 while being shut out 7 times. And throughout this era, Auburn was told that Legion Field was a neutral site, to never complain, and to know her role. That Legion Field was good for the state. That Legion Field was a cultural landmark.

Bo Over the Top marked a pivotal moment in the rivalry. It turned it into a fair rivalry. It was a statement that Auburn would no longer roll over and play dead for Alabama. That the era of Bryant had come to a close. That a process had started to elevate Auburn's status not only in state but nationally.

You ever wanted to know why the 1989 Iron Bowl is called by most Auburn fans that were there to have been the loudest, most electrifying atmosphere in Tiger history?

We're 18-16 against Alabama since 1982. We've had two Heisman trophy winners, three undefeated seasons, five SEC championships, and a national championship. We're a national brand with professional athletes and Hall of Famers stretching across all three major sports.

And I personally believe that getting out of Legion Field put a cap on the era that did so much to hinder Auburn's potential success.

It just hit that we're going back there. That over the past seven years, Auburn's finished last in the SEC West five times. That on forums that feature multiple perspectives on college football, Auburn is a laughing stock. That Auburn has disfunction in its athletic department. That Auburn brags about toys like a Jumbotron while trying to hide extreme issues like our defense, our lack of quarterbacks, our team discipline issues.

Dude....yeah it sucks. But its just one bowl. You have to think this is the exception rather than the norm. Weve played there how many times in the last 20 years? Yeah, not much.

I remember what it was like growing up, watching my Tigers play at that stink hole every year. It was a friggin annex for the boys in Crimson. The fans at the stadium were vile. The atmosphere was unsafe.  F Bombs and classless threats were not off limits, even in front of a kid like myself, especially if they won. It was awful....but One bowl up there? Sucks but just not nearly as bad. It will pass. Just hate that its at Noon on a day I have to work.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:41:37 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
I went to the Iron Bowls in 92 (My first as a freshman at AU), 94, 96 (fuck you Dennis Riddle), and 98 and not once did I see Auburn win.  I've always wanted to see an Auburn victory there, but I'm going to have a hard time making this game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:16:49 AM »
When I was a boy growing up, Diddy used to take us to Birmingham for summer vacation pretty often. They had a diving board at the pool in the hotel.

It was grand. I'm looking forward to it.

Birmingham is great this time of year. Love to drive scenic 280.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 09:23:04 AM »
I went to the Iron Bowls in 92 (My first as a freshman at AU), 94, 96 (fudge you Dennis Riddle), and 98 and not once did I see Auburn win.  I've always wanted to see an Auburn victory there, but I'm going to have a hard time making this game.

That's alright, because Auburn's going to have a hard time winning this game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »
Aah...memories.

My first Iron Bowl was in 1981.  I made every damn one of them at beautiful Lesion Field except 1987.  The wins were glorious...until you walk out of the stadium and get berated with "Fuck you Aubren" and "Yall got lucky".  The losses just brought the "Fuck you Barners" inside the stadium.  That's a great thing to scream to 11 year olds.  The only thing about the bammers is that they haven't changed since the 80's.  And for most, that means hairstyles and clothes as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »
That's alright, because Auburn's going to have a hard time winning this game.

Umm, I am afraid you are right. On one hand, you have an Auburn team that just lost its defensive staff pretty much and could be unmotivated due to the bowl selection. On the other, you have a Memphis team that would love to drop another SEC team and not to mention they are a pretty decent team.

Auburn better take Memphis serious, if not, Auburn will lose.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Umm, I am afraid you are right. On one hand, you have an Auburn team that just lost its defensive staff pretty much and could be unmotivated due to the bowl selection. On the other, you have a Memphis team that would love to drop another SEC team and not to mention they are a pretty decent team.

Auburn better take Memphis serious, if not, Auburn will lose.

I presume Fuente is not coaching the Mempho Tigers in the bowl game?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
I presume Fuente is not coaching the Mempho Tigers in the bowl game?

That is correct.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »
That is correct.

I asked somewhere else, but saw no reply.  Who is coaching the Auburn D for the bowl?  Garner?  Do we (hopefully) hire prior to this shit show of a bowl game and let the new guy have those practices to audition players?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
I asked somewhere else, but saw no reply.  Who is coaching the Auburn D for the bowl?  Garner?  Do we (hopefully) hire prior to this shoot show of a bowl game and let the new guy have those practices to audition players?

In a shocking turn of events, Jumbo will be coaching the defense.  He won Jacobs over with is karaoke skills and his nasty temper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
hire prior to this shit show of a bowl game and let the new guy have those practices to audition players?

I pray this is the case. I mean it sure as hell wouldn't hurt!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:57:14 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Bill Clark might still be available.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
In a shocking turn of events, Jumbo will be coaching the defense.  He won Jacobs over with is karaoke skills and his nasty temper.

That would never happen, because Jumbo would try fist Aubie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
Get ready to start hearing the name Ruffin McNeil a lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »
I asked somewhere else, but saw no reply.  Who is coaching the Auburn D for the bowl?  Garner?  Do we (hopefully) hire prior to this shit show of a bowl game and let the new guy have those practices to audition players?
You ask a lot of questions but the answers are for insiders only. I'm not at liberty to discuss. Just chill.

Has Jay Jacobs ever let you down?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »

Been hearing this already.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
My favorite memories of Legion Field...

Well, there was that one time I punched a guy who kept shaking his shaker in my face. I told him I was going to break it if he kept doing it. And after Linnie Patrick scored on Auburn in 1981 he started swatting me with the shakery parts.  I shook him two rows backward with my fist.  Security took me under the stadium and wouldn't let me leave until after the game was over.

And there was that other time a bama fan stood on top of an RV and tried to urinate on me and my girlfriend after we lost in 85. 

So yeah.  I'm excited about Legion Field. 
 :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »

Doesn't blow my skirt up, but doesn't make me facepalm either.

He was doing a decent job at ECU and his players seemed to like him.  Other than that...I got nothin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
Doesn't blow my skirt up, but doesn't make me facepalm either.

He was doing a decent job at ECU and his players seemed to like him.  Other than that...I got nothin.
Defensive minded and played for TBCPFD at ECU
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions