Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New OC in Theory....

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: New OC in Theory....
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »
Your concern is valid. And all you have to do is look at the depth chart where none of the scholarship QBs are Dual Threat types. So there looks to be a daring break toward more of a Pro-style signal caller with JJ already on campus, then adding White followed by Queen the following season. Tuberville is also on the roster. I'll agree it was a misfire with JJ but Gus went totally away from recruiting Dual Threat QBs.
And now it's a clusterfuck!

Damn it people,...STOP!!!  He did not.  Here's from Auburn's own website.  First Jeremy Johnson

Strong, Talented, hard-working signal-caller who was named Alabama Mr. Football for 2012 ... 3,193 yards, 31 TD passing as a senior and also rushed for 705 yards, 9 scores for Coach Billy Gresham at Carver High ... more than 8,200 career passing yards ... U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic ... ranked No. 12 in Alabama, No. 14 QB by 247Sports ... Rivals No. 5 QB, No. 93 overall prospect ... Scout No. 24 ... PrepStar No. 90 overall, No. 7-ranked quarterback ... Montgomery Advertiser all-metro player of the year.

How about Tyler Queen?

Talented dual-threat signalcaller from Georgia's North Cobb High ... enrolled at Auburn in January ... 2,342 passing yards, 27 TD as a senior ... also rushed for 10 TD as North Cobb advanced to Class 6A playoffs ... threw for Cobb County-record 89 TD and more than 8,500 yards in high school career, both marks in the Georgia state top 10, and rushed for 43 career TD

Then you have Sean White, who was the winner of the Elite 11.  There is not a team in the country, regardless of what offense they ran that would have passed on Jeremy Johnson or Sean White coming out of HS.  Both JJ and Tyler were DUAL THREAT QUARTERBACKS!!!  Sean was just badass.  Why JJ has performed the way he has this year is the biggest question mark.  But this isn't because Gus Malzahn tried to go in a different direction.  Did he want a QB who could throw a little more?  Hell yes. We all did.  The whole fucking country thought we had the perfect fit.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »
BTW, in his senior season of HS, Cam Newton rushed for 638 yards.  At Blinn JC, he rushed for 655. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »
BTW, in his senior season of HS, Cam Newton rushed for 638 yards.  At Blinn JC, he rushed for 655.
I believe the problem is with the QB Coach and the system. The system apparently doesn't teach QBs how to read defenses.

I posted about this in another thread. Malzahn has a lot of success with QBs that have been taught by someone else at the JUCO level or in Cam's case at Florida (Meyer & Mullen) and then JUCO. Almost all QBs, that have been in his system for more than one year have regressed (minus Marshall, of course).

So, the answer is go the JUCO route every year or every other year depending on if the JUCO QB stays for a extra year....Championship
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Damn it people,...STOP!!!  He did not.  Here's from Auburn's own website.  First Jeremy Johnson

Strong, Talented, hard-working signal-caller who was named Alabama Mr. Football for 2012 ... 3,193 yards, 31 TD passing as a senior and also rushed for 705 yards, 9 scores for Coach Billy Gresham at Carver High ... more than 8,200 career passing yards ... U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic ... ranked No. 12 in Alabama, No. 14 QB by 247Sports ... Rivals No. 5 QB, No. 93 overall prospect ... Scout No. 24 ... PrepStar No. 90 overall, No. 7-ranked quarterback ... Montgomery Advertiser all-metro player of the year.

How about Tyler Queen?

Talented dual-threat signalcaller from Georgia's North Cobb High ... enrolled at Auburn in January ... 2,342 passing yards, 27 TD as a senior ... also rushed for 10 TD as North Cobb advanced to Class 6A playoffs ... threw for Cobb County-record 89 TD and more than 8,500 yards in high school career, both marks in the Georgia state top 10, and rushed for 43 career TD

Then you have Sean White, who was the winner of the Elite 11.  There is not a team in the country, regardless of what offense they ran that would have passed on Jeremy Johnson or Sean White coming out of HS.  Both JJ and Tyler were DUAL THREAT QUARTERBACKS!!!  Sean was just badass.  Why JJ has performed the way he has this year is the biggest question mark.  But this isn't because Gus Malzahn tried to go in a different direction.  Did he want a QB who could throw a little more?  Hell yes. We all did.  The whole fucking country thought we had the perfect fit.

Big difference in just being dual threat and able to run it in HS, and being able to run the zone read in college.

Its pretty obvious where JJ could turn the corner and take off in HS, he just doesnt have it in College. I imagine same would be true for Queen. You need a speester like NM at this level. Or a Manziel type.

Again, not for the O to work. But to work optimally, and control clock. That was our MO in both 10 and 13.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:43:32 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
Big difference in just being dual threat and able to run it in HS, and being able to run the zone read in college.
True.

Tyler Queen CCV is no threat to run very far.
Sean White won the Elite 11 based on his accuracy as a passer.
Jeremy Johnson found a whole new level of panic and duress as THE GUY on the college level.

What they were considered and what they are now are much different as it applies to what we have done best with Cam and Nick. We do not see the planned QB draws or going off tackle, meshing with a back and streaking downfield (Cam) or angling toward the sideline. (Nick)

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
True.

Sean White won the Elite 11 based on his accuracy as a passer.
Jeremy Johnson found a whole new level of panic and duress as THE GUY on the college level.

What they were considered and what they are now are much different as it applies to what we have done best with Cam and Nick. We do not see the planned QB draws or going off tackle, meshing with a back and streaking downfield (Cam) or angling toward the sideline. (Nick)

You take guys like Nick, Cam, Manziel, Tebow or even Jameis.....those guys were all cold blooded on the field. Rarely got rattled. Jeremy - that is his biggest issue. Never have I seen a guy as stone cold as NM.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
I think the one thing I'll agree with to an extent is what Prowler said about having an experienced QB.  I'm not sold on the fact that the only way Malzahn can be successful is to have a true dual threat QB.  I believe it's obvious that's what he wants and yes, he's been recruiting for that.  But you can't just totally disregard the fact that for two years at Tulsa, his offenses were basically owning the country in every offensive category that matters without a true dual threat QB. 

It may just be reality that Malzahn's strong suit is not developing a QB.  His offenses can be as effective as any in the country as long as he has someone at the helm at least somewhat experienced in reading defenses, regardless of whether they're a true read option QB (Marshall) or more of a pocket passer (Todd, Smith etc.)       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
I think the one thing I'll agree with to an extent is what Prowler said about having an experienced QB.  I'm not sold on the fact that the only way Malzahn can be successful is to have a true dual threat QB.  I believe it's obvious that's what he wants and yes, he's been recruiting for that.  But you can't just totally disregard the fact that for two years at Tulsa, his offenses were basically owning the country in every offensive category that matters without a true dual threat QB. 

It may just be reality that Malzahn's strong suit is not developing a QB.  His offenses can be as effective as any in the country as long as he has someone at the helm at least somewhat experienced in reading defenses, regardless of whether they're a true read option QB (Marshall) or more of a pocket passer (Todd, Smith etc.)     

The numbers can be decieving on those comparisons though. With Todd and Smith, the O's tended to stall out on good Ds but light up weaker ones. With the true dual threat/read option - its was nearly unstoppable no matter who the opposing team was. Look at how many yards NM put on Bama both times. Good grief.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
The numbers can be decieving on those comparisons though. With Todd and Smith, the O's tended to stall out on good Ds but light up weaker ones. With the true dual threat/read option - its was nearly unstoppable no matter who the opposing team was. Look at how many yards NM put on Bama both times. Good grief.
JR called it borderline idiocy when I suggested that Cam didn't really require a genius calling the plays and as it turned out, neither did Nick. If you have a guy who can run a draw or execute the read option the chains move and the genius gives it the ol' NASCAR sign. And when the defense begins cheating up your spotter calls down that the boundary side safety is really creeping up.

BRILLIANT!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »
You take guys like Nick, Cam, Manziel, Tebow or even Jameis.....those guys were all cold blooded on the field. Rarely got rattled. Jeremy - that is his biggest issue. Never have I seen a guy as stone cold as NM.
Nick was stoned whether he be cold or hot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »

Its pretty obvious where JJ could turn the corner and take off in HS, he just doesnt have it in College. I imagine same would be true for Queen. You need a speester like NM at this level. Or a Manziel type.

Again, not for the O to work. But to work optimally, and control clock. That was our MO in both 10 and 13.
I have seen "Heeey" Queen play, the difference with him is he isn't afraid to take a hit.  Dude rushes like a fullback, wish he hadn't had the injury/surgery because I think he would have played this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »
I have seen "Heeey" Queen play, the difference with him is he isn't afraid to take a hit.  Dude rushes like a fullback, wish he hadn't had the injury/surgery because I think he would have played this year.

Plus, he has cool hair.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
wrong
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
You don't have to have a QB take it to the house on the option. Just read it correctly and get yards when it's open!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »
Gus's system will not work without a dual threat/mobile QB.

Wrong
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »
wrong
Sorry but I'm basing this solely on the last pics I saw of him...and he looked unstoppable around any dinner table.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
I can't enable my emoticon usage right now, but if I could, I'd use that little Chizik head scratcher.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
I can't enable my emoticon usage right now, but if I could, I'd use that little Chizik head scratcher.

If nuts and bolts are for you, then the unstoppable force of a dynamic bicycle would be your best bet for the higher end parties where there is much to do about a lot of things unsaid. Especially shoes and the like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE