Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The next, next great thing?

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: The next, next great thing?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Exactly.

You nancies need to simmer down. If Sean White is the best QB, he will play. If he's not. He won't.
Yep. I don't understand why people seem to think that QB's have some kind of contractual obligation (other than Cam, of course) that prevents us from recruiting more than one QB per class, or if we have a good underclassman. Not the first time I've heard shrieks. I just don't get it.

We have a punter and recruit another...don't hear it. Or, at any other position.

If a guys is afraid of the competition--which I certainly don't think White is--then he needs to go to a smaller fish pond. I like the idea of Gus having a solid Pro Style and a runner. I don't think he's afraid to put the best guy in depending on the circumstance--just like with the wildcat.

Glad to have this guy and ready to see him go. I heard on the radio he averaged about 10 yards (I blv. may have been more but it was at least 10) per carry in the JUCO last year. Track guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »
Yep. I don't understand why people seem to think that QB's have some kind of contractual obligation (other than Cam, of course) that prevents us from recruiting more than one QB per class, or if we have a good underclassman. Not the first time I've heard shrieks. I just don't get it.

We have a punter and recruit another...don't hear it. Or, at any other position.

If a guys is afraid of the competition--which I certainly don't think White is--then he needs to go to a smaller fish pond. I like the idea of Gus having a solid Pro Style and a runner. I don't think he's afraid to put the best guy in depending on the circumstance--just like with the wildcat.

Glad to have this guy and ready to see him go. I heard on the radio he averaged about 10 yards (I blv. may have been more but it was at least 10) per carry in the JUCO last year. Track guy.

You don't hear it because every other position is SHAREABLE. What is the old saying, if you got two QBs, you got none.

And recruiting a JUCO guy is not the same as recruiting more than one QB per class. Per class infers that they are incoming freshmen. That is why you don't have teams made up solely from JUCO guys.

I like having plenty of QBs too. I just see us having too many QBs at WR.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »
You don't hear it because every other position is SHAREABLE. What is the old saying, if you got two QBs, you got none.

And recruiting a JUCO guy is not the same as recruiting more than one QB per class. Per class infers that they are incoming freshmen. That is why you don't have teams made up solely from JUCO guys.

I like having plenty of QBs too. I just see us having too many QBs at WR.
It wasn't shareable back when you are referring and probably played. Like before the advent of the facemask and forward pass. But, now it's been proven to work with sharing.

"If you got two QB's, you got none" is just an old wive's tale. She told it to me, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
Two in the hand is like 6 in the bush. 

Or something....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »

Or something....
You could get 6 hands in my old wife's bush. Maybe more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »
What CCT said.

When you go and grab a JUCO QB, thats a sign. You dont get a JUCO QB to sit the bench. JUCO is usually a sign that the HC needs a warm ample body at that position and now. ESP at QB....ala Nick Marshall or Cam. With White and Queen and the incoming Dual Threat Barrett, I wouldnt think we are in that much need at QB to go grab a JUCO but we did. Not panicking, but it is an interesting move.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
What CCT said.

When you go and grab a JUCO QB, thats a sign. You dont get a JUCO QB to sit the bench. JUCO is usually a sign that the HC needs a warm ample body at that position and now. ESP at QB....ala Nick Marshall or Cam. With White and Queen and the incoming Dual Threat Barrett, I wouldnt think we are in that much need at QB to go grab a JUCO but we did. Not panicking, but it is an interesting move.

I would say right now, we need about two more Dukes, without the headcase baggage.

Or maybe its easier to get a running QB rather than to teach your damn WRs to catch!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
I would say right now, we need about two more Dukes, without the headcase baggage.

Or maybe its easier to get a running QB rather than to teach your damn WRs to catch!

Maybe it would be easier if we recruited WR's?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »
What CCT said.

Damn it, son.  Don't encourage him.  You know how he gets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »

Or something....

Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
What Snags said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
What Snags said.

You just took GF's place in winning the internet today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »

You just took GF's place in winning the internet today.

No. No he didn't. I revoke this win!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
Eggzillent piece by Kevun Skradinski.  Puts it in a little better perspective for me.  I'm gonna' back whoever is in there and I hope White continues to get better and better.  If he wins the job, so be it. 

If we know anything about Gus Malzahn from his tenure at Auburn as both offensive coordinator and head coach, it's this: He's done his best work with a quarterback who followed a long and winding road out of high school before taking his running and throwing talents to the Plains.

See Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

So why wouldn't Malzahn want John Franklin III?

Why wouldn't the Auburn coach be thrilled to get a commitment from a young man who started his college career at Florida State, then transferred to East Mississippi Community College?

Why wouldn't Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee be eager to work with a 6-foot-2, 185-pound dual threat who also ran track at FSU?

Why not try to dance with the kind of quarterback that brought you to one national title and the brink of another?

Recruiting, offering and getting a commitment from Franklin isn't an insult to Sean White, Jeremy Johnson or Tyler Queen, the scholarship quarterbacks on the current Auburn roster. It's more of an acknowledgement that the popular theory about Malzahn's ability to plug any style of quarterback into his system and light up SEC stat sheets and scoreboards no longer applies.

Malzahn is in his sixth season at Auburn, his third as head coach. None of his teams has led the conference in passing offense. His 2010 and 2013 teams led the league in rushing offense, and his 2010 team finished first in total offense.
 What else do those teams have in common? They outscored opponents en route to two SEC championships and two national title games, winning the first and coming up just short in the second.

Newton and Marshall were major threats in the run game, though Newton relied on power while Marshall featured speed. You can't say the same about Malzahn's other starting quarterbacks: Chris Todd, Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley, Johnson and White.

With Malzahn and a running quarterback, Auburn went 14-0 in 2010 and 12-2 in 2013. With Malzahn but without a running quarterback, the Tigers went 8-5 in 2009, 8-5 in 2011 and they're 4-4 this season heading to Texas A&M.

The outlier is 2014, when Marshall and the offense put up good numbers - minus the Georgia defeat - but couldn't overcome an historically poor defense, and Auburn crumbled from 7-1 to 8-5.

No one can say for sure if Franklin is the answer for next season, and please don't call him Johnny Football. It's one thing to impersonate Marshall for the Florida State scout team in the run-up to the 2014 BCS Championship Game, as Franklin did. It's a different proposition to run through SEC defenses for 1,068 yards, as Marshall did in 2013.

There are multiple issues with this Auburn's offense, which is 10th in the SEC in scoring and 11th in total offense, by far the lowest ranks of Malzahn's two tours on the Plains. A veteran offensive line's production hasn't matched its experience, the tailback position has been dogged by injuries and the best receiver got kicked off the team, leaving behind a hit-or-miss collection of hands.

But the most serious dropoff has come at quarterback. Johnson wasn't up to the task of starting in the SEC. White's been an upgrade, and no one can question his toughness, but how high is the redshirt freshman's ceiling going forward?

If you sign with a school like Auburn, you should expect to compete for a starting job. The quarterback competition should be wide open for next season, and talents such as Franklin and high school commit Woody Barrett should be welcome to join that competition.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
While I understand the words, I also understand the message. The message will be if you can throw the ball well, but can't run, and possibly you are white, don't come to AU to play QB. Do not think this won't cross the minds of many QB recruits and others.

When you recruit a QB, tell him he has a chance, and then you bring in another QB because You have no idea how to coach the guys you already signed, holy crap, if that is not an indictment, what is?

So here is the issue, Gus has had awesome passing offenses with QBs at Shiloh, Tulsa, Arky State,and to an extent AU (with Cam). Yes Cam could run it, but he could throw it too. NM was a runner who could complete a pass consistently.

So did Gus forget how to coach a passing QB? Is AU the only place where CGM's offense cannot pass?

Or is it Rhett that has no idea how to coach a passer?

I have no idea how three different QBs under Gus could have put up awesome numbers: Paul Smith(5,065 yards and 47 touchdowns), David Johnson(4,059 yards, 46 touchdowns ), Cam(2,854 yards), And Ryan Aplin(3,342 yards, 24 touchdowns).

Are we saying our QBs are that bad, or that Gus forgot how to coach passing?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:00:13 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
While I understand the words, I also understand the message. The message will be if you can throw the ball well, but can't run, and possibly you are white, don't come to AU to play QB. Do not think this won't cross the minds of many QB recruits and others.

When you recruit a QB, tell him he has a chance, and then you bring in another QB because You have no idea how to coach the guys you already signed, holy crap, if that is not an indictment, what is?

So here is the issue, Gus has had awesome passing offenses with QBs at Shiloh, Tulsa, Arky State,and to an extent AU (with Cam). Yes Cam could run it, but he could throw it too. NM was a runner who could complete a pass consistently.

So did Gus forget how to coach a passing QB? Is AU the only place where CGM's offense cannot pass?

Or is it Rhett that has no idea how to coach a passer?

I have no idea how three different QBs under Gus could have put up awesome numbers: Paul Smith(5,065 yards and 47 touchdowns), David Johnson(4,059 yards, 46 touchdowns ), Cam(2,854 yards), And Ryan Aplin(3,342 yards, 24 touchdowns).

Are we saying our QBs are that bad, or that Gus forgot how to coach passing?
I'm thinking it's Malzahn coaches his system, develops the QBs strictly in the system...no time to teach how to read defenses, they call the play on the sideline depending on what the defense is doing, unless the offense just picked up a first down, in which case they run a 1-2 yard dive play.
Malzahn has better luck with QBs that have already been tutored on how to read defenses (knowing where to throw the ball). All of those QBs you mentioned were already taught that...that's why he has the best luck with JUCO QBs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
"Are we saying our QBs are that bad, or that Gus forgot how to coach passing?"

JJ inexplicably became an overnight bust.  No one saw that coming and I don't know if that can be totally put at the feet of Gushlee.  You can only tell a guy not to throw a ball 40 yards into quadruple coverage so many times and it not sink in.  Even Pavlov's dog caught on quicker.

You mentioned the killer numbers his two QB's had at Tulsa.  While not on that level, he even coached Chris Todd to over 60% passing, 2,614 yards 22 TD's and only 6 Int's in 09'.  Some of those numbers were Auburn records at the time.  Nick Marshall had a cannon but was sporadic at best his first season.  The read option was easily his bread and buttah but he threw just well enough to make it that much more effective.  And by the time Marshall left, he was torching Bama for what...400+ yards? 

The reality is that JJ is the only real failure under Malzahn and that was just going full tard.  Sean White has done a great job to this point IMO and probably would have gotten player of the week against Arky sans the 10 dropped passes.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
No one saw that coming and I don't know if that can be totally put at the feet of Gushlee.

The reality is that JJ is the only real failure under Malzahn and that was just going full tard.  Sean White has done a great job to this point IMO and probably would have gotten player of the week against Arky sans the 10 dropped passes.   

Sorry, but I disagree. JJ is squarely on the shoulders of Gus.

I think prowler is onto something. You say jj is the only real failure?  Mitch Mustain and Frasier say hi. Aside from Sean White, every high school qb that Gus has recruited has been a flop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »
Sorry, but I disagree. JJ is squarely on the shoulders of Gus.

I think prowler is onto something. You say jj is the only real failure?  Mitch Mustain and Frasier say hi. Aside from Sean White, every high school qb that Gus has recruited has been a flop.

Nobody likes you.  Nobody.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
Nobody likes you.  Nobody.

I'm Jarhead. Not Dallas. You need your eyes checked?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions