Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Spring Practice Starts Today

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Spring Practice Starts Today
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
Look dude. We are trying our best to forget last year. Chill with those references. It's A New Day!

You so Two thousand and late
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 02:17:19 PM »
You guys missed the point of this....this is what Gus said about Jeremy after spring practice last year.

Movie quotes we can handle.  Old Gus Malzahn quotes...yeah....not so much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
You guys missed the point of this....this is what Gus said about Jeremy after spring practice last year.
And this is what the fans said after game 2:

I've seen monkey-shit fights at the zoo that are more organized than this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
from Creg Stephenson at dot I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth.

When John Franklin III signed with Auburn out of East Mississippi Community College in December, the hope among Tigers fans was that he could be another Nick Marshall.

If that's the case, Franklin will have to gain about 35 pounds.

According to Auburn's official spring football roster, Franklin is listed at 6-foot-1 and 174 pounds, a stunningly light weight for someone hoping to be an SEC quarterback. Marshall played for the Tigers at 6-1, 210.

(Auburn also hedges its bet by listing Franklin as an "athlete" rather than a quarterback, a designation you rarely see outside of recruiting rankings. Most dual-threat quarterbacks are listed as such, even if they are more "athlete" than quarterback).

There's a possibility Franklin could gain 15 pounds or so by the fall. At 190, he'd still be below average for an SEC quarterback, but not an outlier like he is now.

However, you wonder if gaining weight would rob Franklin of some of the elite speed that led him to be a member of the track and field team at Florida State. Speed is a big part of his game, so I'm not sure you'd want to mess with that.

At any rate, that got me to thinking about whether or not someone as small as Franklin had played quarterback at a high level in college football in recent years. (We had a similar discussion Wednesday on WNSP's "Sports Drive," which I co-host weekdays in Mobile from 3-6 p.m).

You'd have to go back a long way to find an SEC starting quarterback who weighed less than 180 pounds. The smallest of recent vintage was probably Mississippi State's Michael Henig, who checked in at 6-feet, 185 when he was the Bulldogs' starter in 2007.

Auburn has had successful smallish quarterbacks in the past. Randy Campbell was listed at 5-11, 175, as was Lloyd Nix. Phil Gargis was 6-1, 185.

But Campbell and Gargis ran the wishbone and Nix played nearly 60 years ago. Not sure they're apt comparisons. (For the record, Pat Sullivan was listed at 6-foot, 198 as a player, while Dameyune Craig was 6-0, 186. And neither was the runner Franklin is purported to be).

Indiana's Antwaan Randle-El (5-11, 180) had great success as a small, dual-threat quarterback in the Big Ten from 1998-2001 before going on to a solid career as an NFL wide receiver. But again, we're talking about more than 15 years ago.

The best current example might be Georgia Tech's Justin Thomas, who checks in at 5-11, 179. However, he's an option quarterback who passes the ball maybe 15 times a game. (When Marshall was Auburn's first-year starter in 2013, the Tigers averaged 20 passing attempts per game).

West Virginia has had success in recent years with a couple of smaller quarterbacks, Pat White (6-1, 192) and Clint Trickett (6-2, 186). But White was still nearly 20 pounds heavier than Franklin. And the Big East (in White's time) and the Big 12 (in Trickett's) are not the SEC.

Randall Cobb was just 5-11, 191 at Kentucky. He also wasn't a full-time quarterback, but more of a situational player. Perhaps that's what Franklin will be for Auburn.

The all-time example of a small-but-successful quarterback is probably Doug Flutie, who was a pocket passer at Boston College despite being just 5-10 and 180 pounds. But that was more than 30 years ago, and comparing anyone to an all-time great like Flutie isn't really fair.

All of this is not to say that John Franklin can't be a successful SEC quarterback at 174 pounds. But if he was, he'd be exceptional in more ways than one.

So what do you think? Is Franklin too small to succeed at quarterback in the SEC, or will he have to put on some weight?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 04:02:36 PM »
Oh no!  We suck again!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 04:05:17 PM »
Oh no!  We suck again!

Again?  No, we're still shitty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
Oh no!  We suck again!

A lot folks are looking for consistency from the team. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
Just a reminder, fans, comin' up is our "Die-hard Night" here at the stadium. Free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time Auburn won the SEC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
Just a reminder, fans, comin' up is our "Die-hard Night" here at the stadium. Free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time Auburn won the SEC.

And bonus admission if you have someone who was alive last time Auburn had a top ranked defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
How's that white boy doing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »

He's still white.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

He still can't jump.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions