Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

All Aboard the Great White Hype Train

All Aboard the Great White Hype Train
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/trent_dilfer_auburn_quarterback_sean_white_program_changer.html#incart_2box_sports_index.ssf
Trent Dilfer was surprised when he heard the news.

The ESPN analyst, quarterback guru and former Super Bowl winner wasn't surprised to hear one of his former pupils had taken over the starting job at Auburn this week. No, Dilfer was surprised Jeremy Johnson was named the starter over redshirt freshman Sean White in the spring.

"I was frankly shocked he didn't win the job, to be honest with you," Dilfer told AL.com. "Jeremy is a gifted athlete, but Sean is a tremendous passer. I thought if they wanted to throw the ball, I just assumed that was the direction they were going to go."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn made the decision Tuesday to bench Johnson, who watched his Heisman Trophy campaign crumble amidst six interceptions, a close call against an FCS team and a loss at LSU over the course of 17 days.

White's former coaches believe Auburn fans will see something they didn't with Johnson: a composed, strong-armed quarterback capable of leading the team through adversity.

"He wants the ball in his hand, he wants to be in big moments, he wants the pressure on him and in his mind he always thinks he's gonna win," Dilfer said.

Dilfer coached White at the Elite 11 camp in 2013. It was there the four-star prospect was named the camp's MVP and turned heads. He went on to win MVP honors at the Under Armour All-American game, too. He was a late addition to both events, but impressed Dilfer and others.

"He's a give-me-the-ball-and-kick-your-ass guy," Dilfer said.

Some will knock White's size, Dilfer said, but he doesn't believe his 6-foot, 200-pound frame will be a hindrance when the Tigers host Mississippi State on Saturday (6:30 p.m. CT, ESPN2).

Meet Auburn's new starting QB, Sean White

Sean White will be Auburn's starting quarterback when the Tigers take the field against Mississippi State on September 26th. Check out the video above to get your first glimpse of Auburn's new starting QB in action.

"There's no height that makes you a good quarterback," Dilfer said. "There's more bad 6-4 quarterbacks out there. The streets are littered with them. But if you're 6-feet, you're going to have some challenges, so you have to be exceptional at some other stuff. You have to have exceptional pocket awareness to move and slide around because you may need to find some throwing lanes. You've got to be able to anticipate your throws and throw early. You've got to be a gifted passer, a guy that knows how to pass and keep the ball moving. Sean has all those things."

White's former priviate coach, Ken Mastrole, compares White's preparation and approach to that of Tom Brady. He didn't go as far as to compare their talents, of course, but Dilfer hasn't been shy to draw comparisons to New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who participated in the Elite 11 camp as a high school senior.

Dilfer believes White will keep the job throughout the season.

"We watch where these kids go, especially the really, really good ones," Dilfer said. "We call them program changers and we felt Sean was a program changer. We felt he was a guy who could change their program and allow them to have a sophisticated passing game, not just a play-action passing game."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: All Aboard the Great White Hype Train
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »
One problem with Dilfer's logic is that he assumes that Malzahn wants to develop a "sophisticated passing game".  CGM did openly say he wanted to throw it more this season but I believe that only meant getting back to the run/pass balance he's had in the past.  He clearly changed to suit Marshall's talents the last 2 years.  Dilfer is acting like, "Well, they've got White so they can start slinging it all around the field".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »
Put me in Coach...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
One problem with Dilfer's logic is that he assumes that Malzahn wants to develop a "sophisticated passing game".  CGM did openly say he wanted to throw it more this season but I believe that only meant getting back to the run/pass balance he's had in the past.  He clearly changed to suit Marshall's talents the last 2 years.  Dilfer is acting like, "Well, they've got White so they can start slinging it all around the field".
I heard he can paint pictures with his balls.  It's a shame we won't get to see that, if we stick to the same shit playcalling we've had this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
I heard he can paint pictures with his balls.  It's a shame we won't get to see that, if we stick to the same shit playcalling we've had this year.

I don't think it's been stellar considering the shitshow that has been Jeremy Johnson.

But I can think of quite a few plays that were wide open for big gains or scores that were bombed because of Johnson's inability to throw a good pass. How often have you heard the commentators say, "Johnson had X wide open in the ____"?

Maybe White can complete a few of those throws and open up the run game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
I heard he can paint pictures with his balls.  It's a shame I won't get to see that.

FTFY
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »
I heard he can paint pictures with his balls.

That is pretty talented I must say, but the question still remains is he accurate with his passes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »
From what I can glean from the interwebs, it seems White is a Chris Todd like student of the game. If that is the case and he can deliver the ball in a consistent manner, we could just salvage this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
From what I can glean from the interwebs, it seems White is a Chris Todd like student of the game. If that is the case and he can deliver the ball in a consistent manner, we could just salvage this season.
White has actually developed plays and given them to Lashlee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
You guys are going overboard with the new qb being white. Developed new plays and "student of the game"? Insinuating black cannot do this, IMO.

Btw, I watched Cam and Nick develop new plays for TD's on the fly. They'd make 'em up after the snap and be pretty damn sporty.

Let's cool it with the white comments, srsly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
White is allowed to talk about Fight Club.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
I heard he can paint pictures with his balls. 

He's got nothing on my Jackson Pollack style.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »

I retired after 17 paintings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
Why do you work in such small mediums?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
Why do you work in such small mediums?

My output volume has seen no dips post snip, thankyaverymuch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
You guys are going overboard with the new qb being white. Developed new plays and "student of the game"? Insinuating black cannot do this, IMO.

Btw, I watched Cam and Nick develop new plays for TD's on the fly. They'd make 'em up after the snap and be pretty damn sporty.

You are so right WT. We couldn't fuck-up Cam. Nick was who we thought he was and more though I'm hoping White is impervious to our state of the art QB coaching.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:42:09 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »

White is ready

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092515aaa.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
White is ready

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092515aaa.html
Nice story but sometimes I get the feeling that auburntigers.com can be somewhat biased.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »
Auburn tigers.com is biased toward Auburn? No fucking way. :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

djsimp