Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nick Saban = Offensive Genius

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Nick Saban = Offensive Genius
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/09/nick_saban_explains_how_new_al.html#incart_2box_sports_index.ssf

By Michael "I loves me some Tahd" Cassagrande

Nick Saban explains how new Alabama play cards work as no-huddle offense evolves

Last year was more of an experiment. This time, Alabama's using a more scientific approach to its no-huddle offense.

Call it Alabama tempo, version 2.0.

The biggest difference in the operation against Wisconsin was the method for signaling plays in from the sideline. Two staffers hold poster-sized white boards with various logos or pictures in code. Gone are the days of hand gestures to the quarterback who then relays the message to the rest of the offense. The new play cards debuted in a game setting after practicing and scrimmaging with them since spring.

One game in, the refined methods drew positive reviews from players and Nick Saban.

"Pretty good," Saban said. "We sort of went like we wanted to go."

It's not always about going fast between plays, either. Sometimes it's a matter of rhythm and comfort to continue with the next play without huddling. A few times, though, Alabama moved fast.

The shortest gap between two plays was 16 seconds. On the first drive, there was a 17-second turnaround.

Other times, they'd rush back to the ball and quarterback Jake Coker would look to the sideline. Adjustments could be made at that point if the defensive formation wasn't conducive to the next play.

"It's cool, probably, for the fans, but for us, we look at it more like it has a meaning to us," tight end O.J. Howard said. "So we don't really get up in the funny looking signs. Some of them are pretty funny to us, especially when we get new ones. But at the same time, they mean things to us so we really don't get caught up in what they stand for or what they look like."

Howard's favorite sign? Domino's Pizza logo.

There's a code behind the signs, but Saban was hesitant to say much about it on his radio show last Thursday.

"Let's just say this, the signs do mean something," he said. "There's more than one sign and they both mean something, but one of those signs is dead. Aight, so it's like we're in camouflage. So which one means something?"

Saban also explained the origin of the new system in more detail after touching on it in August.

"Lane didn't really want to go no-huddle," Saban said on the radio broadcast. "He had never done it before. I was pushing for it because I thought it would be easier for Blake Sims to operate, which it really was. When you go fast, it's simpler."

They met with coaches from around the country at schools like Ohio State and TCU who use the cards.

"We talked to a lot of different people that do this stuff and we felt like this was the most comfortable way to communicate effectively on offense if you wanted to go no huddle," Saban said. "Even if you go no huddle and don't go fast, it's still an effective way to communicate."

The cards are more for the skilled position players and not for the offensive linemen. Left tackle Cam Robinson didn't want to say much about how they communicated play calls.

"I don't know if coach would be too comfortable with me giving away that kind of information," he said with a grin.

Next thing you know there will be a billboard on I-65 with Kiffin and Henry and the words "Bama Speed" in large letters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Nick Saban = Offensive Genius
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
Player safety be damned!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
He is an innovator!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »
If only somebody else had thought about using those cards!  Damn you, Nick Saban!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
Every time I try to step back from it. Every time I think it's just irrational confirmation bias. Every time I decide it's just college football, those motherfuckers find a way to act like glaring, gaping assholes with clear purpose and intent. Every fucking time. Just cartoonishly, absurdly with malice-a forethought assholes. They're not even trying to pretend to be classy anymore. They've adopted the mannerisms of the lowest common denominator fan base and it is disgusting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
Hey, you guys heard about this internet thing. Its pretty damn cool.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »

I heard Lane Kiffin invented it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
Isn't that the new fangled computer talky thingy that Al Gore is working with Nick Saban to create?

It'll never take hold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
I heard Lane Kiffin invented it.

Only at the suggestion of Saban, remember?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »
Why hell, the next thing they'll do is find a way to put peanut butter AND jelly into the same jar!

Balderdash!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
Why hell, the next thing they'll do is find a way to put peanut butter AND jelly into the same jar!

Balderdash!

Even better, there is talk about these chocolate cookies with cream in the middle. Its suppose to go great with milk. I'm calling bs. There is no way this will be any good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
It's either science or sorcery, either way it's cutting edge.

I read an article a while back that said the laundry water used to wash the sweat out of Saban's shirts was used to cure those infected by the ebola outbreak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
It's either science or sorcery, either way it's cutting edge.

I read an article a while back that said the laundry water used to wash the sweat out of Saban's shirts was used to cure those infected by the ebola outbreak.

False. Nothing makes Saban sweat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »
Derrick Henry does
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
Derrick Henry does
You're damn right he does. He made me sweat just reading about him making Saban sweat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
Derrick Henry's sweat cures cancer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
Derrick Henry's sweat cures cancer

Unfortunately.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
Maybe Saban can explain to me how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »

Derrick Henry does

Have you ever seen Nick Saban and Derrick Henry together? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
When Auburn introduced the cards to our offense in Malzahn/Lashlee's first year, they were quick to point out he stolt the idea from Chip Kelly
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/09/post_24.html
Using a system first devised by current Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly, Auburn's offense has been using play cards with four instantly-recognizable figures on them, although the pop culture references might be lost on the head coach.

Then they leave it ambiguous, but it sure seems that Gus started using cards for the no huddle to begin with. Kelly improved them with the images.

Malzahn used colors and numbers on his play cards, a system designed to the get the play in fast enough to match his hurry-up, no-huddle pace, during his early days as Auburn's offensive coordinator.

And he's always tried to find something his players know well. Back in his days at Shiloh Christian, Malzahn used hand signals from Bible school to tap into things the players knew immediately after years in Christian schools.

Playing two games against Kelly's Oregon teams -- in the 2010 national championship game and last season at Arkansas State -- convinced Malzahn his signal system needed an upgrade.

"You've got to kind of keep that on the cutting edge," Malzahn said, adding a joke. "His signs were fancier than ours, so I tried to get a little competitive with that. Hopefully we're doing a better job."

By the way, if you were wondering who invented the Hurry Up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurry-up_offense
First employed in 1899 by John Heisman's Auburn team,[1] the hurry-up offense is an American football offensive style which has two different but related forms in which the offensive team avoids delays between plays.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:53:47 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions