Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Corch Grimes: Tongue Cancer

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Corch Grimes: Tongue Cancer
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »
There is something about Grimes that makes me want to suit up at 200 lbs. and play left guard for him. I have no idea about his x and o knowledge from a personal standpoint but evidently he knows a bunch. Guys seem to gravitate toward him.

I didn't know about the cancer situation and he should certainly be in our thoughts and prayers.

Gus calls him the best O line coach in the country and I believe it.

Auburn coach J.B. Grimes ready, cancer free after surgery

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080415aaa.html
 Aug. 4, 2015

JBGrimes
J.B. Grimes will be on the Auburn practice field less than a week after successful surgery

By Charles Goldberg
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. ― Coach J.B. Grimes is talking about his offensive line, saying the combination of experience and talent should give Auburn an edge this season, and saying he can't wait to see his players in action when fall practice begins Tuesday.

J.B. Grimes, a tough-minded offensive line coach, will be there, roughly a week after he had successful surgery to remove a cancerous spot on his tongue and, as a precaution, his lymph nodes removed on the right side of his neck.

"I will not miss practice," Grimes said Tuesday. "I'm strong. I'll recover."

There is irony for Grimes and this offensive line. Cancer survivor Shon Coleman is penciled in to start at tackle for Grimes in Auburn in its season-opener against Louisville on Sept. 5 in Atlanta. Coleman started all 13 games last year.

Grimes said a biopsy showed cancer on his tongue. A CAT scan didn't show cancer in his lymph nodes, but they were removed as well, a procedure that is not uncommon, Grimes said.

"The report came back that I'm cancer free. I'm good to go," Grimes said.

Grimes said he'll lean on graduate assistant coach Johnny Brewer as he regains his strength. "He's been with me, going into his third year, so I've coached him up. It'll be business as usual."

Grimes said he's not yet 100 percent, "but I can do this" and that he'll be on the field in practice and will be on the sidelines, as usual, for Auburn's season opener.

Grimes said he'll be "good as new pretty quickly" and is buoyed by the prospects of his offensive line as well.

"I like the makings of this group."

Why not? He has two experienced tackles in Coleman and Avery Young. He has guard Alex Kozan, a freshman All-American in 2013 returning from a back injury that cost him last season, and Devonte Danzy, competing at one guard spot. He has big Braden Smith in the running for the other starting guard spot. He has a good competition between Austin Golson and Xavier Dampeer at center. He has more experience in Devonte Danzey, Robert Leff, Will Adams and Jordan Diamond.

"If we can stay healthy, we have a chance to be pretty good," Grimes said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X