Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

BIGGIO! BIGGIO! BIGGIO!

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
BIGGIO! BIGGIO! BIGGIO!
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:13:58 PM »
Biggio was elected to Cooperstown, along with pitchers John Smoltz, Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson.
Love him so much.  Very happy about this.  Now we just need Bags in there with him and all will be well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: BIGGIO! BIGGIO! BIGGIO!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
GOOD CLASS indeed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:07:02 PM »
Biggio was elected to Cooperstown, along with pitchers John Smoltz, Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson.
Love him so much.  Very happy about this.  Now we just need Bags in there with him and all will be well.

Was lucky enough to see him and (other b's) play minor league ball in Columbus, Ga.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
When they show Pedro's highlights, will they include that nifty move he put on Don Zimmer?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
When they show Pedro's highlights, will they include that nifty move he put on Don Zimmer?

The grab and toss?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm Popeye the sailor ma....OOF!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »

Was lucky enough to see him and (other b's) play minor league ball in Columbus, Ga.
Glen Davis?

The Cols Astros were the thing to do in the 80s if you were close to Cols
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:08:11 PM »

I am so grateful to have been living here when he was still playing. I've chanted "BI-GEE-OH!!" many times as the king of the doubles came to the plate. As he approached his 3000th hit, I, along with the rest of Houston, didn't miss an at-bat, waiting to see him make that milestone. Absolute class act. He is still a god in this town.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:37 AM »
Dash of cold water here. 

Hall of Fame should be for people who were "larger than the game" in my mind.  The baseball HoF is severely watered down in my humble opinion. 

Biggio was a good player at times.  What did he truly ever do to deserve being named Hall of Fame?  Yeah, he had 3000 hits.  So do like 30 other players.  Maybe I just don't know enough, but he was always more of a worker bee than a real star.  Yeah, I appreciate the lunch bucket guys, but they aren't Hall of Fame material. 

Smoltz I can definitely see.  Only player in history with 200 wins and 150 saves.  Cy Young. World Series. Only one other player ever won 20 games and saved 50 games in a season.  Struck out 3000 (only like 15? have done that).  Warrior. That's a deserving resume.  He belongs.

Randy Johnson?  Ehhhhh.  Good pitcher,funny looking, tall,  hit a bird, threw over Kruk's head.  So he won 303 games.  Is that enough for Hall of Fame? He's got a resume to debate at least.  Five Cy Youngs. Second all time in K's. Oldest pitcher to ever throw a perfect game.  So you could make a case. 

Pedro?  Complete meh.  Won a World Series. Won a Cy Young. But only 219 wins. There's an ASSLOAD of pitchers with 200+ wins including Bobo Newsom, Sad Sam Jones, Hooks Dauss and Joe fucking Neikro.  Pedro doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

The criteria needs to be reviewed. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Dash of cold water here. 

Hall of Fame should be for people who were "larger than the game" in my mind.  The baseball HoF is severely watered down in my humble opinion. 

Biggio was a good player at times.  What did he truly ever do to deserve being named Hall of Fame?  Yeah, he had 3000 hits.  So do like 30 other players.  Maybe I just don't know enough, but he was always more of a worker bee than a real star.  Yeah, I appreciate the lunch bucket guys, but they aren't Hall of Fame material. 

Smoltz I can definitely see.  Only player in history with 200 wins and 150 saves.  Cy Young. World Series. Only one other player ever won 20 games and saved 50 games in a season.  Struck out 3000 (only like 15? have done that).  Warrior. That's a deserving resume.  He belongs.

Randy Johnson?  Ehhhhh.  Good pitcher,funny looking, tall,  hit a bird, threw over Kruk's head.  So he won 303 games.  Is that enough for Hall of Fame? He's got a resume to debate at least.  Five Cy Youngs. Second all time in K's. Oldest pitcher to ever throw a perfect game.  So you could make a case. 

Pedro?  Complete meh.  Won a World Series. Won a Cy Young. But only 219 wins. There's an ASSLOAD of pitchers with 200+ wins including Bobo Newsom, Sad Sam Jones, Hooks Dauss and Joe fucking Neikro.  Pedro doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

Perdo was just about as dominant as Maddux with control at the peak of his career. His control of the ball made guys look stupid at the plate. Bad attitude, sure. But when he was good, he was unhittable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Glen Davis?

The Cols Astros were the thing to do in the 80s if you were close to Cols

I would guess all of them came through Columbus at one time or another.

Columbus, got there in April of 1984 after 4 1/2 years of living in Europe. First thing I wanted to do was go to a ball game, eat a hotdog and drink a beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
Perdo was just about as dominant as Maddux with control at the peak of his career. His control of the ball made guys look stupid at the plate. Bad attitude, sure. But when he was good, he was unhittable.

So?  He wasn't good or consistent long enough to matter.   Two 20-win seasons.  Only six above 15 wins.

I think he gets in only because he was pitching for Boston when the curse of 1918 was broken.  But that honor should really go to Curt Schilling -- who gets ZERO fucking love from this farce of a selection panel. 

Pedro won 219 games.  Schilling 213.  Same ballpark.

Pedro had 3154 K's.  Schilling 3116.  Same neghborhood.

Schilling had more 20-win seasons than Pedro. Seven of 15 wins or more. Won 15 games in his next to last season.  Pedro didn't win in double digits in any of his last five seasons.  Broke five wins just once.

Look at the playoffs.  Schilling anchored the staff of three different World Series winners.  He was 11-2 in the playoffs (19 starts) with an ERA of 2.32.  He pitched in five "win or go home" games and was 5-0 in those.  Pedro was just 6-4 in the playoffs (in 16 starts).  His ERA was 3.46. 

There's no way in fucking hell Pedro belongs if Schilling isn't a first ballot pick.  But he's on his third ballot. 

First year he got 38%
Second year he got 29%
2015 he got 39%

And Pedro's stupid fucking ass got 91%?  Even more than Smoltz?  By what fucking measure? 

I'm tempted to say it's a race thing. It's definitely not statistics.  If it were performance based there would be a bunch of people in there -- Schilling included -- before Pe-Fucking-dro. 

For the record, I love the Red Sox.  Always have.  I got to see Pedro pitch in 2004 against the Yankees in old Yankee Stadium.  One of the best sports moments of my life. Watching the Sox dethrone those Yankee pricks was a bucket list highlight.  But not Hall of Fame worthy. 

Neither is Biggio. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
So?  He wasn't good or consistent long enough to matter.   Two 20-win seasons.  Only six above 15 wins.

I think he gets in only because he was pitching for Boston when the curse of 1918 was broken.  But that honor should really go to Curt Schilling -- who gets ZERO fucking love from this farce of a selection panel. 

Pedro won 219 games.  Schilling 213.  Same ballpark.

Pedro had 3154 K's.  Schilling 3116.  Same neghborhood.

Schilling had more 20-win seasons than Pedro. Seven of 15 wins or more. Won 15 games in his next to last season.  Pedro didn't win in double digits in any of his last five seasons.  Broke five wins just once.

Look at the playoffs.  Schilling anchored the staff of three different World Series winners.  He was 11-2 in the playoffs (19 starts) with an ERA of 2.32.  He pitched in five "win or go home" games and was 5-0 in those.  Pedro was just 6-4 in the playoffs (in 16 starts).  His ERA was 3.46. 

There's no way in fucking hell Pedro belongs if Schilling isn't a first ballot pick.  But he's on his third ballot. 

First year he got 38%
Second year he got 29%
2015 he got 39%

And Pedro's stupid fucking ass got 91%?  Even more than Smoltz?  By what fucking measure? 

I'm tempted to say it's a race thing. It's definitely not statistics.  If it were performance based there would be a bunch of people in there -- Schilling included -- before Pe-Fucking-dro. 

For the record, I love the Red Sox.  Always have.  I got to see Pedro pitch in 2004 against the Yankees in old Yankee Stadium.  One of the best sports moments of my life. Watching the Sox dethrone those Yankee pricks was a bucket list highlight.  But not Hall of Fame worthy. 

Neither is Biggio.

Agree on the Pedro/Schilling points. I think Schilling should be in. Schilling also has opinions about non-baseball topics that are not exactly popular with many people. Not me. Just others. They may be holding it against him somewhat. He also had a failed company that laid people off. Again, doesn't bother me, but I do think these things are being held against him. But then again, Pedro was an asshat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »
Dash of cold water here. 

In Houston, Biggio was larger than the game.  He and Bags were the team for many years.  I am just going to chalk it up to you not knowing much about him.  These are HoF numbers to me. 

He played 20 seasons and 2,850 games, 16th most in MLB history.  15th all time in runs scored (1844).  5th all time with doubles (668). 7-time All-Star (1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998).  4-time Gold Glove Winner (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997).  5-time Silver Slugger Award Winner (1989, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998).  Led the NL in Doubles 3 Times (44 in 1994, 51 in 1998, 56 in 1999).  Led the NL in Runs Scored 2 Times (123 in 1995, 146 in 1997).  Led the NL in Stolen Bases 1 Time (39 in 1994).  Won the Roberto Clemente Award (2007), the Branch Rickey Award (1997), and the Hutch Award (2005).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
In Houston, Biggio was larger than the game.  He and Bags were the team for many years.  I am just going to chalk it up to you not knowing much about him.  These are HoF numbers to me. 

He played 20 seasons and 2,850 games, 16th most in MLB history.  15th all time in runs scored (1844).  5th all time with doubles (668). 7-time All-Star (1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998).  4-time Gold Glove Winner (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997).  5-time Silver Slugger Award Winner (1989, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998).  Led the NL in Doubles 3 Times (44 in 1994, 51 in 1998, 56 in 1999).  Led the NL in Runs Scored 2 Times (123 in 1995, 146 in 1997).  Led the NL in Stolen Bases 1 Time (39 in 1994).  Won the Roberto Clemente Award (2007), the Branch Rickey Award (1997), and the Hutch Award (2005).

Well yeah, but he's no Jeff Blauser.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
Well yeah, but he's no Jeff Blauser.

Nor Rafael.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »

Nor Rafael.

Apparently, ole I-285 never found his way off and wound up in Houston.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Apparently, ole I-285 never found his way off and wound up in Houston.

Along with Milo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »

I'll admit, I don't know that much about him.  The thing is I followed baseball avidly from about 1984 to 2002 or so.  I remember him as being okay, but never that IT player that transcended the game (what I think the Hall of Fame should be for).   Lots of good stuff up there, but I don't see an MVP. 

It's not so much bagging on Biggio as questioning what actually qualifies somebody for being in a "Hall of Fame." 

Kirby Puckett?  Ryne Sandberg? Goose Gossage? Robin Yount?  Really?

Nolan Ryan.  Reggie Jackson. Mickey Mantle. Lou Gherig. Hank Aaron. Willie Mays. Johnny Bench.  That's who the Hall of Fame is made for.   I just don't think guys who had some good seasons really should make the cut. 

I wouldn't vote for Chipper Jones, but I bet he gets in.  I'd vote for Smoltz, Maddux and Glavine but as a group. 

I'd vote for Pete Rose because if anybody deserves it, he does.  I wouldn't vote for McGwire, Sosa, Bonds or Clemens because they cheated to prosper.  I'd probably vote for Big Papi because of what he did in the World Series. To me, that kind of performance is deserving of Hall of Fame even if his career may not be.   I doubt I'd vote for Alex Rodriguez because he didn't really improve any club he was on.  Jeter will make it in, but I'm not sold on that either.  Why?  Puhols I probably wouldn't vote for. 

Don't take it necessarily as an indictment of Biggio.  Just a question about what it means and why one decent player gets in while another with similar (or better) numbers isn't even considered.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »
Dash of cold water here. 

Stats of Pedro Martinez and Joe Neikro.  And I'm not sure if you are on the Neikro band wagon for the Hall...which b.t.w he's in the Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame.

Neikro:     .520 winning %; 3.59 era; 1,747 SO and 1.31 WHiP
Martinez:  .687 winning %; 2.93 era; 3,154 SO and 1.05 WHip

Now compared to a 'famer with a similar win number as Martinez.

Drysdale:  .577 winning %; 2.95 era; 2,486 SO and 1.14 WHiP

based on stats alone...yeah I think Martinez belongs alongside Drysdale in BHOF.  I think both dominated their respective decades.

on a different note...the NBA needs to review the criteria before the MLB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions