Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

ULM's rushing attack is stacked

JohnDeere

• Pledge
ULM's rushing attack is stacked
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/others/0-0-203/Even-without-Dawson--ULM-s-rushing-attack-is-stacked.html

Even without Dawson, ULM's rushing attack is stacked

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

Louisiana-Monroe likes to run the ball.

It's simple and clear cut. There's no mystery to it. The Warhawks aren't trying to hide their game plan. They're going to run the ball.

"It's no secret," starting running back Frank Goodin said. "That's what we're going to do. That's it."

The Warhawks averaged 209 yards on the ground last season to rank 16th in the nation. They rushed for 271 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to No. 25 Clemson. They put up 215 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to Texas A&M. And when the Warhawks came rolling into Alabama, 121 rushing yards and two touchdowns contributed to the 21-14 upset.

"It's not a grind up there where everybody stacks the line of scrimmage," running backs coach Bob Leahy said. "We are spreading teams out and running option plays, too. It's hard to know what we're going to do."

Louisiana-Monroe led the Sun Belt in rushing last season behind senior Calvin Dawson, who finished the year with 1,414 and 12 touchdowns. With Dawson gone, the Warhawks have four players hoping to fill his shoes.

Leading that charge is sophomore Frank Goodin, who had 596 yards and four touchdowns as Dawson backup during his redshirt freshman season last year. Redshirt freshman Robert Williams, who was the projected backup last season but broke his leg, will serve as the primary backup, and junior college transfer Rodney Lovett will also get some time. The Warhawks also have a freshman named Luther Ambrose, who is the fastest of the four, but will likely redshirt because he's undersized.

"It's just encouraging to know that I've got guys to keep me unsteady and uncomfortable in the position that I'm in right now," Goodin said. "But I'm comfortable knowing I have someone just as good as me. If I'm down, they could come in and take my place."

Leahy said he'd like to play three running backs this year. There's going to be a bigger emphasis on the running game since the Warhawks will be playing with four new linemen.

"It's a lot easier to run block than it is to pass block," Leahy said.

Louisiana-Monroe will have an early opportunity to showcase that running game on a national stage against Auburn and Arkansas in the first two games of the season. Auburn's rush defense was No. 29 last season, allowing 124.7, and Arkansas ranked 64th, allowing 164.2.

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks, Luther Ambrose, Frank Goodin, Robert Williams, Rodney Lovett, Bob Leahy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions