Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

U.S./Kooba

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
U.S./Kooba
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
Is it just me or am I wrong in thinking this President makes more outrageous decisions on his own than any other President in my lifetime?  You guys know I'm not huge into politics.  Loathe them for the most part.  But sometimes, things just give me that WTF was that all about feeling.  Obama up and makes the decision to "normalize" relations with Cuba and is pushing to lift a 50 year old trade embargo.  Where did that come from?  Why?  Was this even being discussed?

From what I understand, this would do nothing more than put tons of $$$ in the hands of a communist regime that controlled, oppressed, jailed and killed it's own people for decades.  It changes nothing for the Cuban people. What am I missing here? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: U.S./Kooba
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »
This was my fear after the mid-term elections. He is going to carpet bomb everything he can get away with. As with any deals he has made they get the goose we get goose shit.

What can anybody do?

As for Cuba, its not like we aren't in bed with countires as bad as they are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »
Meh.  Have we achieved anything with the Cuban embargo?  Not really.  They're not going to change, so what's the purpose?

Sure, you can argue that if the embargo is lifted, we'll be indirectly or even directly funding a communist regime that violates human rights.  But if that's truly the concern, then why are half of my electronics from China?

I know, I know...we're financially dependent on China for a variety of reasons, but if we're going to take financial stability over the moral high ground, then you have to look at the fact that it is estimated that the Cuban embargo costs us billions of dollars a year in lost sales from exporting, and that additional jobs related to agricultural exports could be created if the embargo were lifted.  I don't know what the costs are of enforcing the embargo, but that should also be considered.

I'm not gung ho about lifting the embargo, but I don't see a huge deal if it were lifted.  There will likely be positives and negatives to it, but the whole concept of keeping it simply because Cuba is "evil" doesn't really jive with our relations with other "evil" countries.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
And in addition to this, we let N Korea hack into Sony's computer system and steal stuff. Now, Sony decides it isn't even going to release the comedy which apparently pokes fun at  Kim Jong-un.

I know this isn't anything that Obummer is directly responsible for but it's a cavalier attitude toward the US that he's definitely contributed to.

They aren't afraid to attack us through the interwebs and I think realize that we are slow to react, if we even react at all.

This Cuba thing doesn't do anything to help the Cuban people. And although dallas is right about us being in bed with countries just as bad. But, they aren't 92 mi off our shore.

Anything we can do to help them become democratic is a good thing. I haven't figured out who this helps except the Castros and communism in general.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
And in addition to this, we let N Korea hack into Sony's computer system and steal stuff. Now, Sony decides it isn't even going to release the comedy which apparently pokes fun at  Kim Jong-un.

I know this isn't anything that Obummer is directly responsible for but it's a cavalier attitude toward the US that he's definitely contributed to.

They aren't afraid to attack us through the interwebs and I think realize that we are slow to react, if we even react at all.

This Cuba thing doesn't do anything to help the Cuban people. And although dallas is right about us being in bed with countries just as bad. But, they aren't 92 mi off our shore.

Anything we can do to help them become democratic is a good thing. I haven't figured out who this helps except the Castros and communism in general.

If this holds and Cuba plays it right, within the next 5 to 10 years Cuba could be a vacation mecca for us mericans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »
Lift or don't. That's not the issue here. The problem is the emperor making imperial decrees like this.

No debate.  No discussion. Just a proclamation from on high.

Fuck that. This is America. Not Kenya.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
Lift or don't. That's not the issue here. The problem is the emperor making imperial decrees like this.

This^^^ was as much my point as anything. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »

Not yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

I guess we were living in Kennedy's Kenya when he made the initial presidential proclamation to prohibit U.S. exports to Cuba.  Damn pussy slaying communist and his imperial dictatorship.  Who did he think he was, the leader of the executive branch endowed with certain powers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »

I guess we were living in Kennedy's Kenya when he made the initial presidential proclamation to prohibit U.S. exports to Cuba.  Damn pussy slaying communist and his imperial dictatorship.  Who did he think he was, the leader of the executive branch endowed with certain powers?

If he was so smart he would've had a roof on his car.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
If he was so smart he would've had a roof on his car.
You tell em' cabbage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

Ummm. Kennedy didn't do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »

Kennedy was a dickhole too. Fuck him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 03:23:43 AM »
Ummm. Kennedy didn't do it.

Ummm.  Kennedy issued an executive order in 1962.

I fully understand that the "Cuban embargo" as we know it is comprised of a variety of laws that were passed by Congress, some of which were passed prior to Kennedy's presidency.  However, my point was that an executive order was issued by Kennedy in order to prohibit U.S. exports to Cuba.  Decision by a dictator and all that jazz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions