Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I Can't Even - On the Topic of Race

I Can't Even - On the Topic of Race
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
President and Michelle Obama personally identify with everyday experiences of racial bias in America that have underpinned recent protests across the country, they told People magazine in an interview to be released Friday.

“Barack Obama was a black man that lived on the South Side of Chicago, who had his share of troubles catching cabs," Michelle Obama told the magazine.

On one occasion, she said, her husband “was wearing a tuxedo at a black-tie dinner, and somebody asked him to get coffee.”

President Obama said he's even been mistakenly treated as a valet.

“There’s no black male my age, who’s a professional, who hasn’t come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn’t hand them their car keys," he said, according to excerpts of the interview released today.

The first lady also described being mistreated at a Target store in suburban Washington, during a shopping trip she took in 2011.

"Even as the first lady," she told the magazine, "during the wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf."

She said the incidents are "the regular course of life" for African-Americans and a "challenge" for the country to overcome.

Though they've lived inside the White House bubble for six years, the Obamas have been making the point that they are still in touch with the experience of minority communities.

President Obama has pushed back against criticism that he has not been aggressive enough in talking about issues of race and justice, particularly involving African-American men.

"If you look at after what happened with Michael Brown, if you looked at what happened after Trayvon, if you looked at the decision after Eric Garner, I'm being pretty explicit about my concern, and being pretty explicit about the fact that this is a systemic problem, that black folks and Latinos and others are not just making this up," Obama told BET in an interview earlier this month. "I describe it in very personal terms."

The president told People that he applauds the efforts of other prominent African-American athletes and celebrities to speak out against police brutality using the "I Can't Breathe" slogan, inspired by the case of Eric Garner, the Staten Island man who died after he was put in a choke hold by a New York City police officer. President Obama has not directly weighed in on the case.

“I think LeBron did the right thing," Obama said of Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James, who wore a shirt with the slogan on the court. "We forget the role that Muhammad Ali, Arthur Ashe, and Bill Russell played in raising consciousness. I’d like to see more athletes do that -- not just around this issue, but around a range of issues.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obamas-reflect-personal-incidents-racial-discrimination/story?id=27636612
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: I Can't Even - On the Topic of Race
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
But seriously, I don't read being asked to help reach a shelf as having been racially mistreated.

Does it have to be because she was black? Could it possibly be simply because she's tall? Or perhaps the person asking was making a gesture to relate on a "normal" level as you would anyone else in the store.

I highly doubt when Michelle Obama enters a store to shop, she is mistaken for anyone but the First Lady. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:51:53 PM by Catphish Tilly »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Have you ever been in a store and needed help and thought, "Hmmm, where's the nearest black person?"   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
Have you ever been in a store and needed help and thought, "Hmmm, where's the nearest black person?"

You don't have to think it.  It's a natural reaction.  Duh!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »

Hey, have you ever tried stealing a TV by yourself before?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
Let's go ahead and have the race war and be done with it once and for all
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
The category is "People who annoy you".  Looks like you're gonna' get a lot of help.

N __ G G E R S

You've got 10 seconds.  Good luck
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
But seriously, I don't read being asked to help reach a shelf as having been racially mistreated.

Does it have to be because she was black? Could it possibly be simply because she's tall? Or perhaps the person asking was making a gesture to relate on a "normal" level as you would anyone else in the store.

I highly doubt when Michelle Obama enters a store to shop, she is mistaken for anyone but the First Lady.
I wonder if they let her eat at the lunch counter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Token

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »
The loss prevention employees generally don't approach the suspect.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 05:32:33 PM »
I guess the difference between white and black is as simple as this.

As a white guy, I offer to help old ladies that need it at Target

As a Black First Lady, she gets offended being "asked" to help by old ladies at Target
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »

I saw her in Target once and mistook her for Aunt Esther. 

Then I realized Esther wasn't as ugly as the fish eyed fool I saw in Target. 

These fucking clowns piss me off so badly.

I was in Best Buy today.  I wore a blue golf shirt.  Somebody asked me if I knew where the printer cartridges were.  I punched them in the face for being racist. 

One time I tried to get a cab in New York and the cabbie drove right by me.  Fucking racist cab driver. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.