Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Another shooting, player dead

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Another shooting, player dead
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »

To include the ass whoppin we took that night.

Not including the spanking that Wench gave Buzz during the midget dance off?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
You people scare me!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
Obviously, Mitchell's death is tragic.  Kevin Skrabinshki wrote a piece yesterday saying right now, people need to mourn his death and not use the event as some social commentary on other issues.  But, I couldn't help but think while reading this from Joel Erickson how the way friends, and especially his family, are reacting to his death, is a great example of how the marches and so called protests going on lately should be handled. And the last quote in this article speaks volumes.

OPELIKA, Alabama - They came by the hundreds, carrying candles of all shapes, sizes and colors, candles brought from their homes or borrowed from others or purchased on the way to the fountain in front of the Lee County Courthouse.

Family, friends, coaches and teammates of Jakell Mitchell, who was shot and killed Sunday in Auburn, gathered in the middle of a throng of supporters, some wearing Auburn gear, some wearing the colors of Opelika High.

What began as an impromptu candlelight vigil organized by a few of Mitchell's former classmates at Opelika High transformed into an event that became part vigil, part church sermon and part rally to end the violence that claimed Mitchell's life.

"Overwhelmed," his father, Mario Mitchell, said of the crowd. "But it helps. Absolutely, 100 percent helped. Without these prayers, and to see this kind of love that boy has been able to spread in a matter of two or three years, overwhelmed. Past everything I would've believed."

The idea for the vigil came from Adrianna Tapscott, a friend who transferred in to Opelika High as a senior and built a friendship with Mitchell, a young man she remembered as a people person despite his quiet nature.

Tapscott simply posted the idea on Facebook. From there, news of the vigil took off, trumpeted by more of Mitchell's friends, including Karlous Cox, who went to first grade with Mitchell, played Little League baseball with him and ultimately stepped in Mitchell's place when the tight end tore his ACL before his senior season.

"He was my first friend when I moved to Opelika," Cox said. "I've known him for a while. Very humble. ... Jakell was a person a lot people knew, a lot of people respect him."

News of Mitchell's death - the Auburn tight end was shot and killed after an argument outside a party at the Tiger Lodge apartment complex in Auburn - sent shockwaves through a community that has been through too many of these tragedies.

According to Cox, he and Mitchell were close friends with Alonzo Robertson, who was murdered on vacation in Washington, D.C., with his grandmother in 2008. One of Mitchell's best friends, Martin Frazier, was found stabbed to death two years ago  in Beauregard.

That's how Frankie Bell, a teacher in Lafayette, who is an outspoken advocate against youth violence in the area and spoke at Monday night's vigil, met Mitchell. He was holding a cookout in honor of Frazier.

"He said he wanted to make sure that young people understand they do make a difference," Bell said. "I was impressed with him."

Bell and Tapscott, whose brother was killed in Decatur in 2009, both made impassioned pleas to the crowd to get involved with young people and to help stop the tide of violence among young people.

Mitchell's father, Mario, grew up among that kind of violence in Opelika before landing a football scholarship to Troy. When he took the microphone on Monday night, he acknowledged that he's been to a few candlelight vigils before.

When Mitchell left to begin college, his father told him to stick close to Auburn's campus, within the "bubble" created by East University Drive, which loops around the city of Auburn.

"That was my fear, because this is home," Mario said. "All those students down there need to stay in that bubble, and that bubble is East University. You guys (reporters) do not report outside of East University, because it's a bubble, and there's no guns. The trouble comes outside the bubble, where anybody else can invite themselves in."

The suspect in Mitchell's murder, like Desmonte Leonard, who was convicted of killing three people at the same student apartment complex in June of 2012, came from outside the bubble.

A 22-year-old from Camp Hill, Markale Hart, was arrested and charged with Mitchell's murder.

Now, in the midst of his grief, Mario Mitchell has already begun trying to prevent more tragedies. He spoke to Opelika High's football team on Monday morning, teaching them the same message he taught his son, with an addendum.

"If somebody does infiltrate the bubble, be smart enough to walk away," Mario Mitchell said. "I lost my best friend. ... The fighting, the fussing, you've got to be able to walk away."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
Obviously, Mitchell's death is tragic.  Kevin Skrabinshki wrote a piece yesterday saying right now, people need to mourn his death and not use the event as some social commentary on other issues.  But, I couldn't help but think while reading this from Joel Erickson how the way friends, and especially his family, are reacting to his death, is a great example of how the marches and so called protests going on lately should be handled. And the last quote in this article speaks volumes.

OPELIKA, Alabama - They came by the hundreds, carrying candles of all shapes, sizes and colors, candles brought from their homes or borrowed from others or purchased on the way to the fountain in front of the Lee County Courthouse.

Family, friends, coaches and teammates of Jakell Mitchell, who was shot and killed Sunday in Auburn, gathered in the middle of a throng of supporters, some wearing Auburn gear, some wearing the colors of Opelika High.

What began as an impromptu candlelight vigil organized by a few of Mitchell's former classmates at Opelika High transformed into an event that became part vigil, part church sermon and part rally to end the violence that claimed Mitchell's life.

"Overwhelmed," his father, Mario Mitchell, said of the crowd. "But it helps. Absolutely, 100 percent helped. Without these prayers, and to see this kind of love that boy has been able to spread in a matter of two or three years, overwhelmed. Past everything I would've believed."

The idea for the vigil came from Adrianna Tapscott, a friend who transferred in to Opelika High as a senior and built a friendship with Mitchell, a young man she remembered as a people person despite his quiet nature.

Tapscott simply posted the idea on Facebook. From there, news of the vigil took off, trumpeted by more of Mitchell's friends, including Karlous Cox, who went to first grade with Mitchell, played Little League baseball with him and ultimately stepped in Mitchell's place when the tight end tore his ACL before his senior season.

"He was my first friend when I moved to Opelika," Cox said. "I've known him for a while. Very humble. ... Jakell was a person a lot people knew, a lot of people respect him."

News of Mitchell's death - the Auburn tight end was shot and killed after an argument outside a party at the Tiger Lodge apartment complex in Auburn - sent shockwaves through a community that has been through too many of these tragedies.

According to Cox, he and Mitchell were close friends with Alonzo Robertson, who was murdered on vacation in Washington, D.C., with his grandmother in 2008. One of Mitchell's best friends, Martin Frazier, was found stabbed to death two years ago  in Beauregard.

That's how Frankie Bell, a teacher in Lafayette, who is an outspoken advocate against youth violence in the area and spoke at Monday night's vigil, met Mitchell. He was holding a cookout in honor of Frazier.

"He said he wanted to make sure that young people understand they do make a difference," Bell said. "I was impressed with him."

Bell and Tapscott, whose brother was killed in Decatur in 2009, both made impassioned pleas to the crowd to get involved with young people and to help stop the tide of violence among young people.

Mitchell's father, Mario, grew up among that kind of violence in Opelika before landing a football scholarship to Troy. When he took the microphone on Monday night, he acknowledged that he's been to a few candlelight vigils before.

When Mitchell left to begin college, his father told him to stick close to Auburn's campus, within the "bubble" created by East University Drive, which loops around the city of Auburn.

"That was my fear, because this is home," Mario said. "All those students down there need to stay in that bubble, and that bubble is East University. You guys (reporters) do not report outside of East University, because it's a bubble, and there's no guns. The trouble comes outside the bubble, where anybody else can invite themselves in."

The suspect in Mitchell's murder, like Desmonte Leonard, who was convicted of killing three people at the same student apartment complex in June of 2012, came from outside the bubble.

A 22-year-old from Camp Hill, Markale Hart, was arrested and charged with Mitchell's murder.

Now, in the midst of his grief, Mario Mitchell has already begun trying to prevent more tragedies. He spoke to Opelika High's football team on Monday morning, teaching them the same message he taught his son, with an addendum.

"If somebody does infiltrate the bubble, be smart enough to walk away," Mario Mitchell said. "I lost my best friend. ... The fighting, the fussing, you've got to be able to walk away."

Sadly we will most likley be talking about this again sometime next year. Good thoughts like good people fade away from memory.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »
His dad nailed it on the bubble and outsiders coming in to stir up anything and everything in re to trouble.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
I know there's been a lot of talk about this already, but it can't be stressed enough that people simply don't handle arguments/disputes etc. the same way they used to.  Growing up, through high school and college, if you got into it with someone, 99% or 175/182nd of the time, it was settled by swinging on each other.  You came out of it with a black eye or busted lip and the talk around school was again, how Snags punked another fool.  And then the discussion normally turned to questioning why people just don't walk away from Snags when they know it won't end well for them.  But I digress.  Aahhh...school days.

Now, people don't fight.  They just start shooting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »
I know there's been a lot of talk about this already, but it can't be stressed enough that people simply don't handle arguments/disputes etc. the same way they used to.  Growing up, through high school and college, if you got into it with someone, 99% or 175/182nd of the time, it was settled by swinging on each other.  You came out of it with a black eye or busted lip and the talk around school was again, how Snags punked another fool.  And then the discussion normally turned to questioning why people just don't walk away from Snags when they know it won't end well for them.  But I digress.  Aahhh...school days.

or cutting
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »

It has changed a lot. But, I can't say that it was the way that you describe for me. I had to really watch myself and control myself because of my training and background. I could/can kill a man with my thumb. I cannot afford to get into any silly argument and risk quickly ending another man's life over a trivial matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »

Back in the day me and you would be outside, interacting with other folks, football, baseball and such. Once everything started moving inside and you could blow the world up, kill everybody from a video console it seems some folks really started getting fucked up and wanted to live the video dream.  :getoff:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

dallaswareagle

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
It has changed a lot. But, I can't say that it was the way that you describe for me. I had to really watch myself and control myself because of my training and background. I could/can kill a man with my thumb. I cannot afford to get into any silly argument and risk quickly ending another man's life over a trivial matter.

For whatever reason this comes to my mind.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »

For whatever reason this comes to my mind.

Yes, I've whipped a lot of service members asses but it's not something that I'm proud of. I was provoked in each situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
Yes, I've whipped a lot of service members asses but it's not something that I'm proud of. I was provoked in each situation.

I am sure you have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »

WT has nunchuck skills, computer hacking skills....

Hopefully youve updated your hair style since then.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
WT has nunchuck skills, computer hacking skills....

Hopefully youve updated your hair style since then.

I don't normally talk about it much but yes, I can still swing the chucks quite effectively. Thanks for the recognition.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
I never have to get into a fight, like, for social purposes.

Man, it's a damn good day to be a white dude.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
I don't normally talk about it much but yes, I can still swing the chucks quite effectively. Thanks for the recognition.

One does hope your skills have improved.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:00:52 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
Slain Auburn football player Jakell Mitchell exchanged gunfire with suspect, detective says

Slain Auburn University football player Jakell Mitchell was armed with a handgun and exchanged gunfire with the man accused of killing him at a Dec. 14 off-campus party, an Auburn police detective says.

Attorney Mark Allen Treadwell, who represented Markale Hart [accused killer]  in the revocation hearing, said Hart told investigators and his attorneys that Mitchell pulled a weapon on him, and that Hart fired his gun in self-defense.

He said Mitchell and another man, Tyrone Rowe, were in an argument during the party, and Mitchell intended to kill Rowe.

Treadwell said Hart was given a handgun by another man, but the intent was to help Rowe get out of harm's way.

Sad

http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/index.ssf/2015/01/slain_auburn_football_player_j.html#incart_2box
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
With all of the people there, the truth should come out.

The problem with claiming to be the hero is that if the hero is a proven thug, its not as believable.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Seriously? People are going to believe the, "it wasn't my gun, I didn't pull the trigger (someone ran up and pulled the trigger instead of me), Jakell Mitchell (a person that has no criminal history) was going to kill another guy over a argument (Jakell had a Gatlin Gun in the trunk of his car that he was going to use, to kill everyone within a 1 block radius). I had to do what is right, I stopped Jakell from killing everyone, eventhough I didn't pull the trigger...Now that I think about it, Jakell was the one that pulled the trigger....yeah, he pulled the trigger on my gun to shoot himself. Yup that's how it happened, if anyone tells different than they were high on Mushrooms, PCP, LCD, Cocaine, Meth and Marjiuana (drugs all provided by Jakell Mitchell).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs