Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

This is why I love Gus

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
This is why I love Gus
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:30:40 PM »
Yeah, the wins are great. Making it to the SEC champ and BCS first year, exciting offense, all that stuff is great. But, things like this really make me say, "this guy is the real deal." I remember the folks that wanted Petrino, the folks that wanted Smart, etc.--and Gus was not my first choice. I was wrong. He is the perfect coach here and now at AU. And I believe he is the perfect coach long term. But, I did think that about Chiz at one time. Difference is, I really think that Gus is not only an exceptional foosball mind, he's an exceptional leader.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/10/gus_malzahn_opens_up_on_auburn.html
Print
Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com By  Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 13, 2014 at 9:24 PM, updated October 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM
AUBURN, Alabama -- The Auburn fans showed up Saturday in Starkville.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn noticed it, and the large Tiger Walk before the game of the year was appreciated. The problem? Auburn lost 38-23 at Mississippi State and it sent the fans and Tigers back home to the Plains licking their wounds during a bye week.

"We just need to give our fans something more to cheer about," Malzahn said Monday on Auburn's Tiger Talk radio show. "We didn't get it done Saturday, but I'm going to tell you this: I really believe we're a really good team. I really believe that still, and we're going to find a way to get better. And we're going to have to. We have a very challenging schedule the rest of the way. Our guys understand that, but I still really like this team."

No. 6 Auburn (5-1, 2-1 SEC) enters the back half of its schedule looking for answers. The Tigers struggled in the red zone against Mississippi State, misfired on several throws, the offensive line struggled, and both the offense and defense were charged with costly penalties at critical moments.

Auburn finished with 441 yards of offense, but managed only two touchdowns on four trips inside the red zone. Auburn also settled for three field goal attempts on three straight trips inside the 10-yard line. Daniel Carlson hit two and missed one. The Tigers had a first-and-goal at the 7-yard line twice, but settled for field goals.

"It was one of those non-rhythm type of situations," said Malzahn, "and we're a rhythm offense. It was kinda tough sledding as far as that is concerned."

Auburn did not practice Sunday or Monday, but coaches spent extra time with players going over film, Malzahn said. The Tigers return to practice Tuesday. They'll try to correct mistakes and get freshmen such as running back Roc Thomas, who saw significant action against the Bulldogs, up to speed before starting the second half of the schedule, which includes road trips to three teams (Ole Miss, Georgia and Alabama) ranked in the top 10 of the Associated Press poll.

RELATED: Malzahn says Auburn has toughest schedule in country

Auburn realizes it may need to win out to reach the College Football Playoff, too.

"We have a bunch of champions," Malzahn said. "They were disappointed, but I will tell you this: you find out your true character in adverse times. It's easy to have great character when you're winning, but our guys, they were very respectful, they used great sportsmanship, they went across the field, shook their hand, told them congratulations, good luck the rest of the way and then they came in the locker room. We didn't have anybody run into the locker room throwing their helmet down. No, they came in there, they were disappointed and, hey, our rally was, we knew we were going to face some adversity this year. The special teams, when you face adversity, they come together even closer and that's what we're going to do. And that's what we need to do."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: This is why I love Gus
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
Yeah, all that stuff is great but I love Gus because of those sweater vests.  Damn, those are hot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:24:34 PM »
Yeah, all that stuff is great but I love Gus because of those sweater vests.  Damn, those are hot.
I've developed a 2 pack a day chewing gum habit because of Gus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
Its why we all do what we do, and aren't ADs.

If we were all in charge of making these coaching decisions, things would be all kinds of fucked up. But we are awesome in hindsight!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
You strike me as more of a turtleneck guy. Because when I think of you, I think of a dick with ears.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
We know you love Gus bro, but I dont think you are his type.

I think he prefers people with vaginas...not ones who act like them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
I love Auburn. Gus is just a man. Don't be a bammer bro!

hehehehe
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »
I like to picture Gus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »
I think I'll go as Gus for Halloween. Just need to stock up on Coffee, Bubble Gum, Visors and Sweatervests.

Oh, and those cool playcards with Tyler Perry and Angry Birds. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE