Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Let's face it, Alabama's dynasty may be in decline"

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
"Let's face it, Alabama's dynasty may be in decline"
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/10/lets_face_it_alabamas_dynasty.html

Rut Roh....  :haha:

he sees it, cowherd sees it, others see it.

Yes...cracks...they are happening.

By Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 06, 2014 at 5:48 PM, updated October 06, 2014 at 5:54 PM

How do you sense when a dynasty may be in decline? How do you distinguish between one or two or three bad days and the first, inevitable steps in descent from the summit of the highest mountain?

How do you see the forest for the trees in the middle of a college football season when you've just watched a goal post walk down the street in Oxford, Mississippi?

If the dynasty is Alabama football under Nick Saban, the following true facts and mini-trends would have to qualify as clues if not outright cracks.

Ole Miss 23, Alabama 17 was the Crimson Tide's earliest loss on the calendar and on the schedule since Saban's first season in Tuscaloosa in 2007. Stephen Garcia had his Bo Wallace moment and South Carolina beat Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and company five days and one game later in 2010.

This was the third straight ranked opponent that Alabama's failed to beat. It started with No. 4 Auburn in the 2013 Iron Bowl, continued with No. 6 Oklahoma in the 2014 Sugar Bowl and extended to No. 11 Ole Miss in the Katy Perry Bowl.

In each of those games, Alabama was ranked in the top 10. The Crimson Tide was No. 1 in both major polls when it lost to Auburn and No. 1 in the coaches' poll Saturday.

Alabama is now 4-3 in its last seven games, the program's worst stretch since it also went 4-3 in the final seven regular-season games of 2010.

But it's not just what happened in Oxford that could be a chapter in a William Faulkner novel. It's what keeps happening to plague the Crimson Tide that has to raise eyebrows. Problems aren't getting solved, and in some cases, they're carrying over from one season to the next.

Field goals continue to go awry, and kicks continue to get covered poorly at times, if at all. In the last three losses, Alabama has gone 2 for 9 on field goals. Adam Griffith missed two of his three attempts Saturday in a game decided by six points.

The defense, particularly the secondary, continues to struggle with getting lined up, getting the calls and making adjustments against what Saban calls fastball offenses. Tempo has been a common feature of the last four teams to beat Alabama, starting with the 2012 home loss to Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M.

In the losses to Auburn, Oklahoma and Ole Miss, the Crimson Tide defense surrendered six second-half touchdowns. Every one of them was a passing touchdown. Playing the ball in the air has been a recurring issue for the Tide's defensive backs, despite Saban's personal attention.

Despite the talent it continues to stockpile on Signing Day, Alabama remains just as vulnerable to key injuries as teams that don't land the No. 1 recruiting class in America year after year. Explosive plays by the offense were rare Saturday before and after playmaker Kenyan Drake suffered that gruesome broken leg, and communication suffered after center Ryan Kelly went out with a twisted knee.

From an intangible standpoint, the killer instinct that used to be one of the hallmarks of Saban's teams also has faded. The fourth quarter against ranked teams has become something of a disaster.

Alabama lost to Auburn and Oklahoma last season and to Ole Miss on Saturday because it lost the fourth quarter of a close game in each case. Collectively, the Tigers, Sooners and Rebels outscored the Tide 40-14 in the final 15 minutes.

Hard to say whether that's a deficit in conditioning, in-game adjustments or mental toughness, but it's shocking in light of Saban's two-pronged mantra of start fast and finish strong. Against the best opponents on the schedule, Alabama has forgotten how to finish.

Does that mean Alabama's incredible run as what Hugh Freeze called the gold standard of major college football is done? Not necessarily. The Crimson Tide rebounded from regular-season defeats in 2011 and 2012 to win back-to-back national titles, and they did it with a first-time starter at quarterback in 2011.

But those Alabama teams improved as those seasons progressed.
A year ago, the Crimson Tide went backward after a rousing win over LSU. This step back against Ole Miss came after an open date with an extra week to prepare.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:36:48 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: "Let's face it, Alabama's dynasty may be in decline"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
Scarbinsky better watch it or he will get some of this:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:14 AM »

Fuck that trooper. Let's just knock down anyone in Lord Saybinz way by GOD!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:12 AM »
Fuck that trooper. Let's just knock down anyone in Lord Saybinz way by GOD!
Disagree.  That motherfucker isn't allowed to be on the field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:03:47 AM »

Yeah, anybody else noticed how many posts about "act like you've been there" the Bammers have been spewing since the Katy Perry dustoff? I'm continually amazed by that fanbase who thinks it is their right and duty to police college football fandom for all. Because rushing the field is bush league. Laying your nuts on someone's face and posting it on the Internet? That's how it's done Bammer style.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »
Yeah, anybody else noticed how many posts about "act like you've been there" the Bammers have been spewing since the Katy Perry dustoff? I'm continually amazed by that fanbase who thinks it is their right and duty to police college football fandom for all. Because rushing the field is bush league. Laying your nuts on someone's face and posting it on the Internet? That's how it's done Bammer style.

Don't forget the trees. Killing trees is also a bammer tradishin!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
Let's play Sister Cleo for a minute:

The mighty tahd drops another game (or two or three) and is outside the playoff looking in. 

The unwashed masses are restless and the $$ boosters are not happy with their ROI.

Saban says, "Fuck it.  I wanted to leave last year and Mack fucked it all up when he dug his heels in.  I have a mountain of cash and don't need this shit.  I'm off like a prom dress, bitches."

On the way out the door, the disgruntled, petulant little shit burns the place to the ground with a few tips to some non-bama media.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »

The mighty tahd drops another game (or two or three) and is outside the playoff looking in. 

The unwashed masses are restless and the $$ boosters are not happy with their ROI.

Saban says, "Fuck it.  I wanted to leave last year and Mack fucked it all up when he dug his heels in.  I have a mountain of cash and don't need this shit.  I'm off like a prom dress, bitches."

On the way out the door, the disgruntled, petulant little shit burns the place to the ground with a few tips to some non-bama media.

Is this our fair warning? If so, those that live in this state need to go now and start stocking up on goods. There will be riots in the streets and the possibility of a government shutdown.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »

I can see all of that other than the last part.  That might incriminate him and his ego wouldn't allow that to happen and tarnish his legacy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

Seemed to be the day that fans hit the ground.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »

Sure he is. Just with a big fat fine that his school will pay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
I can see all of that other than the last part.  That might incriminate him and his ego wouldn't allow that to happen and tarnish his legacy.

Nah.  He's insulated.  He knows enough to know where the skeletons are hidden, but has maintained deniability (even if it's laughable).

Nothing is ever his fault:  players don't execute, other teams play too fast (and use illegal blocking schemes), boosters run rogue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
Nah.  He's insulated.  He knows enough to know where the skeletons are hidden, but has maintained deniability (even if it's laughable).

Nothing is ever his fault:  players don't execute, other teams play too fast (and use illegal blocking schemes), boosters run rogue.

The Ric Flair of CFB babyyyyy.....WHOOOOOOOOOOOO
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »

^^This^^

All you have to do is listen to his post-loss press conferences.  These kids just don't buy into his foolproof process, or they would have won.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »
Speaking of the Ole Piss game and how Bammers are saying, "act like you've been there" and such; we'll they (ole miss) haven't been there. It was evident in the way they reacted. It was as if they had won the mega millions, national championship and a free tractor all rolled up into one. Which is fine. I'm just glad that we didn't tear our own goal posts down after last years Iron Bowl, which will is remembered as possibly the best game evah in the history of sports.

As a matter of fact, I've only been to one game in JHS that I can remember the goal posts coming down and it was during Buster Browns era vs Bama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
The last time Ole Miss was 5-0, JFK was Prez.  They really haven't been there before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
The last time Ole Miss was 5-0, JFK was Prez.  They really haven't been there before.

Oh shit, Obama better watch out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
Did you vote for JFK?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
Speaking of the Ole Piss game and how Bammers are saying, "act like you've been there" and such; we'll they (ole miss) haven't been there. It was evident in the way they reacted. It was as if they had won the mega millions, national championship and a free tractor all rolled up into one. Which is fine. I'm just glad that we didn't tear our own goal posts down after last years Iron Bowl, which will is remembered as possibly the best game evah in the history of sports.

As a matter of fact, I've only been to one game in JHS that I can remember the goal posts coming down and it was during Buster Browns era vs Bama.
"Attention Students, please do not throw the goalposts out of the stadium." PLEASE DO NOT THROW THE GOAL POSTS OUT OF THE STADIUM!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum