Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A Case For JJ

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
A Case For JJ
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Start Jeremy Johnson the rest of the way and we win the MNC.  Okay, I said it.  Now, a disclaimer:

***I know full well that you don't sit (Or move to DB) your quarterback who is now 14-2 as your starter and who led us to the MNC game last year.  More importantly, our Head Corch would never do that anyway.  Therefore, this is just the incoherent ramblings of Uncle Snags.***

In many cases, the back up QB is the most popular guy on the team. In this instance, he has become my favorite player.  This is not a case of a guy having potential and should they give him a chance?  Jeremy Johnson has seen the field and done enough to prove he can run this offense and run it well.  Some would say, "Well, Johnson can't run the read option even close to Nick."  I would counter that we run so much read option because of Nick.

Gus Malzahn has always adjusted his offense to fit the man running the show.  Auburn set what at the time were new offensive records with a QB who had a gimp arm and the speed of a sloth in 09'.  That offense looked nothing like the one Malzahn ran in 2013 and so far in 2014.  I think the conventional wisdom when they named Cam as the starter was that if he could be close to what Todd was in accuracy, that the offense could be much better with his added dimension of being able to run.  No one predicted what was to follow.

Maybe people see things differently on Marshall but through 3 1/2 games this season, I've come to the point of holding my breath every time he drops back.  The running game has hit a bit of a road block so we've had to throw it around a little more.  He threw a beautiful pass to Bray on that fly pattern.  The other two TD passes should have never been thrown.  Both into double coverage and both times he was bailed out by incredible athletic plays.  That will not happen against the defenses they have coming up.  And don't forget the strike he threw to the La. Tech DB that was dropped.

Ultimately, this is my thinking.  Outside of Cam Newton, JJ is one of the most complete QB's we've ever had at Auburn.  No, he hasn't played enough to prove that conclusively.  I got that.  But he has shown me enough to say he could be scary good.   He has the size, the arm strength, incredible accuracy and yes, he can run.  And run well. He's certainly not on Marshall's level in the running game but few are. But, this team will not read option it's way to the SEC West title.  This team has to be more balanced and JJ gives us that opportunity.  I'm having less and less faith that Marshall can go there.

We have a stable of backs and receivers on par with anyone in the country.  We have a tight end/H-back in Uzomahbamadad that's not being utilized.  I'm not advocating ditching the run and throwing the ball all over the field.  I'm saying in 2010, defenses had to respect every aspect of our offense.  They don't right now.  Yes, he has a different style and he can't bowl over people like Cam could.  But I see the offense being run the same way with JJ at the helm.  Right now, it's "Well they stuffed the run...wonder what adventure awaits us in the passing game?"

No, it's not going to happen.  Hey, maybe Nick will kick it in high gear starting this weekend. I'll be in JHS pulling for that to happen. It's just that we have murderer's row coming up from now til the end of the season and if our offense is still being run this way....       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: A Case For JJ
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
You had me all the way until...

In this instance, he has become my favorite player. 

Is he longsnapping and I don't know it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
You had me all the way until...

Is he longsnapping and I don't know it?

It all starts with the longsnapper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »

I thought it was all ball bearings these days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »

Funny you mention the LS.  His grandmother lives in this area and I happened to run into her Friday. 

I know people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
Funny you mention the LS.  His grandmother lives in this area and I happened to run into her Friday. 

I know people.

Oh shit.  Seriously?  Can you like, get me her autograph or something?  Just have her write, "To Snags.  Long live the long snapper."  No wait...."To Snags, ..."  Damn, my mind is swirling and I can't think right now.  Hold on.  I've got to collect my thoughts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
The defenses are daring Nick Marshall to throw. The defenses will dare JJ to run. I think you need to stick to being the Long snapper expert.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
The defenses are daring Nick Marshall to throw. The defenses will dare JJ to run. I think you need to stick to being the Long snapper expert.

Exactly!  While the rest of us stick to being pink snapper experts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »

They won't dare JJ to run.  Mainly because the offense won't look like straight read option with him back there.  Right now..and throughout last season, everything comes off the read option.  And up until this point, there's been no reason for it not to.  That's why NM is back there and he's been damn good at it.  Up until now.  Malzahn wouldn't have JJ doing anything like that as we saw in the Arky game.  Not any more than he had Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter doing it.  Hell, Cam didn't even run the offense close to the way it's run with NM.  But make no mistake, JJ can run when he needs to.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
They won't dare JJ to run.  Mainly because the offense won't look like straight read option with him back there.  Right now..and throughout last season, everything comes off the read option.  And up until this point, there's been no reason for it not to.  That's why NM is back there and he's been damn good at it.  Up until now.  Malzahn wouldn't have JJ doing anything like that as we saw in the Arky game.  Not any more than he had Chris Todd or Barrett Trotter doing it.  Hell, Cam didn't even run the offense close to the way it's run with NM.  But make no mistake, JJ can run when he needs to.

Actually one of the best QB run plays last week was Cam's bread and butter run plays. Fake and run right up the middle. This should work well for JJ also.

But the bottom line is, no, you do not start and play JJ like was stated above. But you do give him a series to come in and change the focus oft the defense a couple of series. It is damn hard to game plan for two QBs. And had JJ read correctly and pulled the ball on a couple of those read options, he just might have surprised some folks.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
Can JJ run when he needs to?  I've seen him scamper for a few yards, but he looks to be about as athletic as Jameis Winston.  Both are big guys that have some ability, but if you start relying on them to run at all, you're toast. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
Can JJ run when he needs to?  I've seen him scamper for a few yards, but he looks to be about as athletic as Jameis Winston.  Both are big guys that have some ability, but if you start relying on them to run at all, you're toast.

So we should alert the ladies of the loveliest village and the local Publix?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
Can JJ run when he needs to? 

800+- yards on the ground his Sr. year, make with that what you will.  But would he need to?  Hell, Gus broke records with Chris Todd and we all know a syrup jar is more elusive than that kid. 

So the answer is possibly no, but if not he better have one wicked pump fake.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:36:39 PM by Catphish Tilly »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
So we should alert the ladies of the loveliest village and the local Publix?

skrong
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »
800+- yards on the ground his Sr. year, make with that what you will.  But would he need to?  Hell, Gus broke records with Chris Todd and we all know a syrup jar is more elusive than that kid. 

So the answer is possibly no, but if not he better have one wicked pump fake.

The difference is that defenses will not stack us to stop the run with JJ. So when he runs, it will be because the defense pretty much decided to ignore him. And then..BOOM 110 yd TD run!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
The difference is that defenses will not stack us to stop the run with JJ. So when he runs, it will be because the defense pretty much decided to ignore him. And then..BOOM 110 yd TD run!

The NCAA only counts to 100.  Vern taught us that last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
The NCAA only counts to 100.  Vern taught us that last year.
Vern died Feb 10, 2000. You should know this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
Vern died Feb 10, 2000. You should know this.

Different Vern but yes I think he has been dead just about as long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »
Different Vern but yes I think he has been dead just about as long.
Gary runs the mouth...that explains so much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
Actually one of the best QB run plays last week was Cam's bread and butter run plays. Fake and run right up the middle. This should work well for JJ also.

But the bottom line is, no, you do not start and play JJ like was stated above. But you do give him a series to come in and change the focus oft the defense a couple of series. It is damn hard to game plan for two QBs. And had JJ read correctly and pulled the ball on a couple of those read options, he just might have surprised some folks.

This^^^ I could live with.  Get the man a few series to run the offense.  If it's clicking, let him keep going. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions