Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mork is no more...

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Mork is no more...
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:59 PM »
Robin Williams apparently hangs himself at 63.

:facepalm:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-commits-suicide

Robin Williams has committed suicide.

The comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found William's body inside his home.  They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Robin went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety.  We're told alcohol was an issue
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:36:44 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Re: Mork is no more...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »
I feel like someone just punched me in my childhood. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
This really really sucks. Damn it man!!!!!!!!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
I feel like someone just punched me in my childhood.

yes...guy was a talent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
It's blowing my mind how many memorable movies he's been in. 

Patch Adams
Aladdin
Good Will Hunting
Good Morning Vietnam
Mrs. Doubtfire
Dead Poets Society
Jumanji
Hook

Plus a host of others....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »
Pull up some footage of him on Carson in the 70's and 80's before he was a HUGE star. Guy was a riot. He had Carson laughing more than any other guest I personally saw on his show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
“The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”

― Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 02:08:08 AM »
I loved him in Mork & Mindy. Rip
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:30:56 AM »
Happy for Robin and sad for his family. He fought off the demons till he could go no more. Phenomenal really how functional  he was given the severity of his disorder which was both a gift and a curse. His loss is worthy of a North American holiday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
Thousands with sever PTSD and nobody gives a shit. One dead actor/comedian and the whole country acts like he was their brother...

There is help out there. Especially for those with money. If they choose not to fight it, why make them heroes. The heroes are the ones who continue to fight every day.

I liked his work, but I'm not a fan of his last act.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
Thousands with sever PTSD and nobody gives a shit. One dead actor/comedian and the whole country acts like he was their brother...

There is help out there. Especially for those with money. If they choose not to fight it, why make them heroes. The heroes are the ones who continue to fight every day.

I liked his work, but I'm not a fan of his last act.

Hard to tell not being in his shoes. I don't understand depression for no apparent reason. But it happens.

Reason for the outpouring is because everyone knew who he was and he seemed like an otherwise happy guy with a few demons he was trying to battle. The guy was a talent and brought laughter/joy to a lot of people. I think folks are just in shock here. Like THS, he is a lot of many people's childhoods and its painful to watch a guy who made his living off being funny, take his own life.

Most people that have PTSD, I do not know personally. I have no insight into who they are. Not sure I can have the same correlation with someone I don't even know of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Hard to tell not being in his shoes. I don't understand depression for no apparent reason. But it happens.

Reason for the outpouring is because everyone knew who he was and he seemed like an otherwise happy guy with a few demons he was trying to battle. The guy was a talent and brought laughter/joy to a lot of people. I think folks are just in shock here. Like THS, he is a lot of many people's childhoods and its painful to watch a guy who made his living off being funny, take his own life.

Most people that have PTSD, I do not know personally. I have no insight into who they are. Not sure I can have the same correlation with someone I don't even know of.

I have no issue with folks being shocked and saddened by his death. I will miss his talent also. But there are people out there wailing and saying they are devastated. How can you be devastated over someone you did not know.

And yet, there is no outpouring of personal devastation for any of our troops who come back and cannot rejoin society due to serving their country.

I do know someone suffering from PTSD. They cannot function in the world. So they just stay inside all of the time. But they have not given up. And God willing, I pray they keep fighting it. Yet many kill themselves daily..and nobody notices.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
Have learned that PTSD is not limited to combat veterans though that's what we most often associate it with and
 I don't equate Robin's demise with heroism.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »

As someone who is aware of PTSD, I would say that it is different than depression. PTSD has triggers points that can send someone off in many different directions, some get mad (video of marine a while back ago who went off on a guy who cut in front of him in his car), some get emotional spent over little things. I have lost it over a squirrel getting run over.

Talented individual who made people laugh, had demons (don't we all)

Took chicken shit way out.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »

As someone who is aware of PTSD, I would say that it is different than depression. PTSD has triggers points that can send someone off in many different directions, some get mad (video of marine a while back ago who went off on a guy who cut in front of him in his car), some get emotional spent over little things. I have lost it over a squirrel getting run over.

Talented individual who made people laugh, had demons (don't we all)

Took chicken shit way out.

CCT was comparing them. Not me.

I was just defending people's reactions to his death.

I can sit back and say it was chicken shit, but we weren't in his shoes. We say that from the perspective of being in a right state of mind too. Easy to back seat drive it from a sane position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

I can sit back and say it was chicken shit, but we weren't in his shoes. We say that from the perspective of being in a right state of mind too. Easy to back seat drive it from a sane position.
So you are saying Tony Stewart killed Robin Williams?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »

I was not comparing the two diseases. I was comparing the overall "give a shit" that people have toward people with each.

I feel nothing for Robin Williams. He copped out.

I feel for those that have PTSD due to service. they did their job for us and it cost them mentally. I worry about young men in their early twenties who do not have a prayer of having a normal life.

But if you look out on the interwebs, you'd think millions of people just lost a family member.

It just seems odd. And to me, a bit misplaced.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
I was not comparing the two diseases. I was comparing the overall "give a shit" that people have toward people with each.

I feel for those that have PTSD due to service. they did their job for us and it cost them mentally. I worry about young men in their early twenties who do not have a prayer of having a normal life.

But if you look out on the interwebs, you'd think millions of people just lost a family member.

I'm in total agreeance with this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »

Some of it is social media.  People can twit, instagram, facebook, whatever, and often express the same ZOMG over anything that the rest of the social world is going all ZOMG over.  Makes people feel like part of an event that's going on elsewhere that in reality is not anything to which they personally have a connection.  It's a fascinating case study all in and of itself - I hope some sociologist is making notes somewhere.  I myself try very hard not to join in the "RIP" parade because I think it is... not hypocritical, that's not the right word... but kind of self-important, or "Judy Joiner" or whatever.  Like following the crowd in an effort to feel good about oneself.  Lutz was different - I was really devastated by that.  But actors and such don't move me the same way.  I don't know them or have any personal connection to them.

Yes, I will miss his work.  I have always loved him.

Yes, I think that suicide is a cop out.  I feel sorry for him, that this was the only way out he could see.  And am sad for his family.

And yes, I know personally that depression can be crippling and make you think nasty thoughts.  It's sad that he acted on them.

But life moves on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
Some of it is social media.  People can twit, instagram, facebook, whatever, and often express the same ZOMG over anything that the rest of the social world is going all ZOMG over.  Makes people feel like part of an event that's going on elsewhere that in reality is not anything to which they personally have a connection.  It's a fascinating case study all in and of itself - I hope some sociologist is making notes somewhere.  I myself try very hard not to join in the "RIP" parade because I think it is... not hypocritical, that's not the right word... but kind of self-important, or "Judy Joiner" or whatever.  Like following the crowd in an effort to feel good about oneself.  Lutz was different - I was really devastated by that.  But actors and such don't move me the same way.  I don't know them or have any personal connection to them.

Yes, I will miss his work.  I have always loved him.

Yes, I think that suicide is a cop out.  I feel sorry for him, that this was the only way out he could see.  And am sad for his family.

And yes, I know personally that depression can be crippling and make you think nasty thoughts.  It's sad that he acted on them.

But life moves on.
Personally I blame it on Southern Culture.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum