Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tony Gwynn dead at 54

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Tony Gwynn dead at 54
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »
One of my favorite players and always seemed to be a class act.

SAN DIEGO -- Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, the greatest Padres player and arguably the best Major League hitter of the latter part of the 20th century, has passed away. Gwynn, who was 54, had been battling salivary gland cancer.

Gwynn's .338 career batting average over 20 seasons -- all of them with the Padres -- is the highest since Ted Williams retired from the Red Sox in 1960 with a .344 average. Gwynn's playing career ended in 2001, and since then he had been the head baseball coach for San Diego State University, where he starred in both baseball and basketball as a collegian, and a part-time analyst on Padres telecasts.

"Mr. Padre" won a record eight National League batting titles -- equal to the number won by Honus Wagner -- and collected 3,141 hits in his career. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007 along with Orioles great Cal Ripken.

Gwynn's battle with cancer began in 2009 when a malignant tumor was removed from his right cheek. Gwynn claimed that the cancer in the salivary gland was the result of his longtime habit of chewing tobacco. The cancer returned twice, and in the latter part of 2012 he again began radiation treatment in an attempt to shrink the tumor.

Gwynn underwent another round of surgery in early 2012 when the nerve that the tumor was wrapped around had to be replaced with one from his shoulder. In each case Gwynn valiantly fought back.

"The whole experience was traumatic because I thought I had it beat, and dang, it came back," Gwynn said during a visit to the Hall of Fame later that year for the induction ceremony.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Tony Gwynn dead at 54
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »
Sad day indeed.  I loved watching Gwynn and Wade Boggs hit back in the day.  That was the way beisbol was supposed to be played.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Dude was a baseball player's baseball player. And to my knowledge, no steroids. I loved his personality and the way he played ball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
Did he play basketball?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Sad day indeed.  I loved watching Gwynn and Wade Boggs hit back in the day.  That was the way beisbol was supposed to be played.
WTF...no Hawk? and you call yourself a Cubs fan. pfft
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
I saw this tweeted earlier:

Retweeted Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman):

Tony Gwynn vs.
Smoltz .462 (30-for-65) 1 K
Maddux .429 (39-for-91) 0 K
Glavine .312 (29-or-93) 2 K

DAMN!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
Did he play basketball?
No but he was that good. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »
‏@JeffPassan 1m
Tony Gwynn struck out 434 times over 9,288 career at-bats. That is not a misprint.

22 strike outs a year
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »
I saw this tweeted earlier:

DAMN!

And this:

Tony Gwynn was more likely to get four hits in a game than strike out twice
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
Did he play basketball?

Why yes, yes he did. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Why yes, yes he did. 

Hell yes. Sani knew what he was doing when he put it in the Beard Eaves. He was trying to educate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
WTF...no Hawk? and you call yourself a Cubs fan. pfft

He was right handed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
Hell yes. Sani knew what he was doing when he put it in the Beard Eaves. He was trying to educate.

There is no sense trying WT.  Troglodytes, the lot of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
Gwynn was one of my favorites, alongside Winfield, Dawson, Sandburg, Mattingly, Strawberry, Canseco, McGwire,  Murphy and Murray.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
One of the best. The guy just hit. It didn't matter if you thought you had him down in the count, he would just slap it somewhere. Some have a golden arm for throwing. Others have God gifted speed. Others a great glove.  Gwynn had the gift of being great at one of the hardest tasks in baseball. He could see the ball, hit the ball.

He was fun to watch.

Sad that he is gone at 54.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »
I like this perspective. Gwynn died too young. And for those of you that have or do dip/chew--do everything that you can to stop. I can't say that I'm better. I switched from dip to my "medicine gum" 13 years ago. I'm an addict. I don't know if nic gum is any better for you but at least it's not as bad on the mouth and teeth.

I remember when the Skoal was less than a dollar a can. I went from chewing tobacco to skoal, Kodiak and then finally the heroin of dip: Copenhagen. Still love the smell of it.

Stuff can kill you.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/klapisch-tony-gwynn-died-too-young-chewing-tobacco-cut-his-life-short-1.1036325
Klapisch: Tony Gwynn died too young; chewing tobacco cut his life short

June 16, 2014, 11:42 PM    Last updated: Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 8:58 AM

By BOB KLAPISCH

Tony Gwynn making a backhanded catch in 1985. He was a 15-time All-Star for the Padres. 
ASSOCIATED PRESS FILE PHOTO

Tony Gwynn making a backhanded catch in 1985. He was a 15-time All-Star for the Padres.

I was a junior at Columbia the first time I tried chewing tobacco. I was about to pitch against Penn when a teammate offered me a chaw of Red Man. It was almost the size of his fist.

“This stuff is awesome,” he said as I stuffed the clump into my cheek. He was right: the combination of aroma and chemicals went right to my brain, sharpening my focus, making home plate seem closer, while simultaneously calming me down.

That bizarre contradiction only makes sense to those who chew or use smokeless tobacco, more commonly known as dip. It’s the unspoken tragedy behind Tony Gwynn’s death on Monday, the story of a superstar whose life ended too soon because of his addiction.

Gwynn was diagnosed with cancer in his salivary gland in 2010. There are plenty of tributes being beautifully written about Gwynn’s super-human hitting skills – he batted .338 and struck out only 434 times in 10,232 plate appearances – but his life and career cannot be separated from his tragic passing.

Gwynn was only 54, too young to die. But he learned too late that chewing and dipping would eventually kill him. Such a loss makes you rage at the sky and ask how Gwynn, a genius in the batter’s box, could’ve been so dumb as to use tobacco throughout his adult life.

I ask only because I know the answer: I kept chewing after that seminal moment in my Ivy League career, right through my 20s as I played for the Hackensack Troasts in the Metropolitan League. I was just an amateur, but no less addicted to the rush. It was a disgusting habit – spitting the juice left brown pools near my teammates’ feet in the dugout – but I felt I couldn’t pitch without it.

It took years for me to quit, which made me one of the lucky ones. The chaw has mostly been replaced by the cleaner, less obvious “dip” but the effects are no less devastating. According to the American Cancer Society, three out of four people who use tobacco in their mouths have non-cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions.

Gwynn’s four-year battle started to decline rapidly in 2012, when he underwent a 14-hour operation to remove a malignant tumor from his right cheek. Eighteen months earlier, the Hall of Famer had surgery in the same area to address the first incidence of cancer.

Following that operation, Gwynn was unable to open his right eye or close his mouth. His speech was badly slurred.

That alone should’ve been a lesson to the world, if not the major league family. Gwynn was obviously dying because of tobacco, yet there was no groundswell among his peers to prevent future deaths.

In 2011, the Players Association voted down a proposal to ban tobacco from the major leagues. Instead, they agreed to a watered-down compromise that prohibits players from keeping tobacco tins in their uniform pockets. And they can’t do television interviews while chewing or using smokeless tobacco. But that’s it.

Apparently, the union feels any further regulation would be an intrusion on the players’ rights. I emailed union chief Tony Clark on Monday asking if he, personally, wants to see tobacco removed from the game. He responded, saying Gywnn's death was "a difficult loss, both personally and professionally. As an organization, we always have and will continue to discourage the use of smokeless tobacco products by players or by anyone else. Our focus...is therefore comitted to player education."

Clark's heart is in the right place, but that's as far as he is willing to go.

The dip’s lure is still too great among his constituents, especially now that amphetamines have been banned. If you want to know how big a bite the new drug policy has taken out of the game, see how slow the action is any afternoon following a night game. For many players, dip — or for some still hanging on to old-school chaw — tobacco is the last allowable vice.

“It’s a nasty habit, but it’s one of those traditions in baseball,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told the Boston Globe earlier this year.

He’s not alone in that sentiment. Mike Napoli said, “[Chewing] is just part of my routine when I play. It would feel weird without it. I’ve gone a couple of months without it. But as soon as I step on a field, I feel like I need it.”

To be fair, tobacco is officially banned at the minor league level, but the rules are only casually enforced. Teams will make a cursory sweep in the clubhouse, checking to see what’s in the lockers, but anyone who’s determined to stick tobacco in their mouths can do so in the dugout with impunity.

And once a prospect gets called up, he’s home free – all the tobacco he wants, any time, any place, as long he’s not caught on TV. Pity, because for most, the rush is only an illusion. Perhaps Clark will have the guts to stand up to his own rank and file in 2016, when the next Collective Bargaining Agreement is negotiated and say: enough.

We should speak as one in mourning Gwynn, who was so talented and so obviously not in need of an artificial boost. Of all the statistics that leave you breathless, this one stood out: Pedro Martinez was unable to strike out Gwynn in 36 career at-bats. Greg Maddux couldn’t get him in 107 tries.

Gwynn had everything going for him – a keen eye, incredible bat-speed and the ability to out-think a pitcher. Gwynn was a nightmare from 60 feet, 6 inches, although he found out the hard way that his athletic genes were no match for the cancer cells raging through his body.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate only 3.5 percent of Americans over the age of 12 are using dip. But that’s still nine million people needlessly at risk.

Sadly, we can make that nine million minus one. Such is the asterisk on the back of Gwynn’s baseball card:

“Died too young.”
- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/klapisch-tony-gwynn-died-too-young-chewing-tobacco-cut-his-life-short-1.1036325#sthash.3wr2s3j3.dpuf
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:21 PM »
Gwynn was one of my favorites, alongside Winfield, Dawson, Sandburg, Mattingly, Strawberry, Canseco, McGwire,  Murphy and Murray.

Winfield - Big arrogant.  Better choice is Reggie Jackson
Dawson - Insane, but liked him
Sandberg - Eh. Liked the Cubs when he played there. Good team.
Mattingly - Yankee. Death to the Yankees.
Strawberry - Drug monkey.  Griffey Jr is a better answer.
Canseco - Idiot. WWF(WWE) goon in a baseball uni.
McGwire - Popeye joke who wouldn't have been squat without injections. He can suck it. Better answer is Terry Pendleton or Frank Thomas.
Murphy - Overrated but no argument. Claudell Washington was more fun to me. Love those Braves (Murph, Claudell, Horner, Benedict, Raffi, Hub, Chambliss, Butler, Neikro, Bedrosian, Garber, Camp, Pascual 'Drive around Atlanta' Perez, Hrabosky, Bob Walk...) I can remember every one of them but can't name four members of the current Braves team.
Murray - liked him.

Any particular reason most of the ones you listed are first basemen?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Winfield - Big arrogant.  Better choice is Reggie Jackson
Dawson - Insane, but liked him
Sandberg - Eh. Liked the Cubs when he played there. Good team.
Mattingly - Yankee. Death to the Yankees.
Strawberry - Drug monkey.  Griffey Jr is a better answer.
Canseco - Idiot. WWF(WWE) goon in a baseball uni.
McGwire - Popeye joke who wouldn't have been squat without injections. He can suck it. Better answer is Terry Pendleton or Frank Thomas.
Murphy - Overrated but no argument. Claudell Washington was more fun to me. Love those Braves (Murph, Claudell, Horner, Benedict, Raffi, Hub, Chambliss, Butler, Neikro, Bedrosian, Garber, Camp, Pascual 'Drive around Atlanta' Perez, Hrabosky, Bob Walk...) I can remember every one of them but can't name four members of the current Braves team.
Murray - liked him.

Any particular reason most of the ones you listed are first basemen?

McGwire (like Bonds) was still a badass when he was skinny. Dude hit like 50 HRs as a skinny assed rookie. But also like Bonds, he decided to ruin his legacy by trying to keep up with the Sosas. Both were great without the juice but they will both be forever known for it now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
McGwire (like Bonds) was still a badass when he was skinny. Dude hit like 50 HRs as a skinny assed rookie. But also like Bonds, he decided to ruin his legacy by trying to keep up with the Sosas. Both were great without the juice but they will both be forever known for it now.
Both of those guys ruined what could have been with their legacy but from a $ standpoint, it was likely a good decision.

I'll take your word that they were badass when skinny. Regardless, I have little respect for either. I would love for MLB and NFL to take steroids serious but I don't see it happening. And players are going to do what they feel they need to do in order to compete.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions