Men did something that I cannot fathom.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: 70 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:14 AM »
They crossed the channel on the 5th in order to hit the beaches the morning of the 6th. Truly the greatest generation as so many (families included) gave so much for the nation.

No matter where you go in life, once you have served with someone in difficult situations you have a bond that cannot be broken.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:51:12 AM »
Damnit I thought today was the 6th.

Well they should have more than one day of remembrance anyway.  Use this picture today.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »

Well they should have more than one day of remembrance anyway.  Use this picture today.

One of my bucket list places to go when I go back to Europe, take a couple of days to visit that area, walk the beaches and visit the burial area of the guys who stayed.

That picture is (or was) in the command HQ of the 101st.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »

One of my bucket list places to go when I go back to Europe, take a couple of days to visit that area, walk the beaches and visit the burial area of the guys who stayed.

That picture is (or was) in the command HQ of the 101st.

Well worth it!  Took my nephew four years ago. 
Sat on the cliffs above the beach and watched the sun come up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »
I can't imagine going into that, knowing that there was a very high likelihood that you were not coming home. 

I do know somebody who could and did. 

During World War II, Jordan fought in four major invasions as a United States Army officer. He saw action in North Africa and Sicily before being wounded in the invasion of Normandy and receiving a Purple Heart and the Bronze Star. After recovering from his wounds, he continued action in the Pacific theater, serving at Okinawa.

Not only was he our coach, he was a humble American hero. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »

Well, they did start the crossing on the 5th, so technically.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Well, they did start the crossing on the 5th, so technically.....

And there is the time difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »
Truly the greatest generation. And obviously many times the men that you wussies are.

These men were fighting for varying reasons, I'm sure. But the difference between then and now for most is that they had to fight. Not only because they were drafted but because we had arguably the most clear and present danger we've ever faced as a country.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the vets of all wars. Must admit though that 1-Korea were a rare bread of fighters. They set the standard for toughness and courage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
Truly the greatest generation. And obviously many times the men that you wussies are.

These men were fighting for varying reasons, I'm sure. But the difference between then and now for most is that they had to fight. Not only because they were drafted but because we had arguably the most clear and present danger we've ever faced as a country.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the vets of all wars. Must admit though that 1-Korea were a rare bread of fighters. They set the standard for toughness and courage.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
You want toughness?  You want courage?  You think all those soldiers in WWII and Korea were badasses?  Pfffft. Minor skirmishes compared to Grenada.  Clint Eastwood kicked ass and willed his guys to face insurmountable odds to rescue those students.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
You want toughness?  You want courage?  You think all those soldiers in WWII and Korea were badasses?  Pfffft. Minor skirmishes compared to Grenada.  Clint Eastwood kicked ass and willed his guys to face insurmountable odds to rescue those students.

Cherry point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
If we keep this thread active for 12 more hours, Sani will be right after all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »

Told this before but I'm old and can't remember when and to whom so here goes again. 

The bar in that movie was a real place called the Wagon Wheel and sat about three blocks outside one of the Camp Pendleton gates.  Stayed open 23 hours a day.  Would close at 0600 every morning and reopen one hour later at 0700.  That was some god dern good training there!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
Told this before but I'm old and can't remember when and to whom so here goes again. 

The bar in that movie was a real place called the Wagon Wheel and sat about three blocks outside one of the Camp Pendleton gates.  Stayed open 23 hours a day.  Would close at 0600 every morning and reopen one hour later at 0700.  That was some god dern good training there!

Gunny Highway approves of this message.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
Gunny Highway approves of this message.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions