Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

SEC Schedule

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
SEC Schedule
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »
I guess there is no easy answer. I don't want to give up the Thuga rivalry every year but I hate waiting 8 to play UF. Esp since we could be whipping that ass right now and our series is close to being (if not) tied all time. We could realistically gain about 5 on them.

Also, if the Ole Ball Coach keeps coaching till we meet again, he'll be 76. He'll be 69 when we play 'em this year.

That's why I'm a proponent of us scheduling some cross division rivals for our ooc games. Will the rest of the country make fun of that? Sure. But who cares? I would rather see a slobber knocker with UF or USCe than a beatdown of ND. Well, maybe one beatdown of ND but that would get old.

http://www.al.com/sec/index.ssf/2014/05/post_2.html
SEC policy could make cross-division games feel like non-conference novelties: Gary Laney
Florida and Auburn last played in 2011 and won't play again until 2019
Print
Gary Laney | National Desk By  Gary Laney | National Desk   
Follow on Twitter
on May 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM, updated May 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM
The SEC gets a lot of grief from around college football for scheduling.

SEC teams don't play enough competitive non-conference games, the critics complain. It's a valid point. The standard-issue SEC non-conference schedule includes three cupcakes and a single game against a team from another power conference.

But with the SEC's conference scheduling policy of one rotating opponent from the opposite division (along with one permanent opponent), some SEC games will get the feel of non-conference games between power opponents.

Take Auburn and Florida. The two old-school SEC powers don't play again until 2019 because Auburn's permanent Eastern Division opponent is Georgia, Florida's Western opponent is LSU, and the rest of their cross-division rivals are on a six-year rotation. They don't play each other until the end of those six years.

In that time, Auburn will have played San Jose State twice and Florida will have played UMass, Michigan and New Mexico State.

While it's possible for Florida and Auburn to meet in the SEC championship game before 2019, there's a better chance they'll play, say, Ohio State, given the four bowl tie-ins between the SEC and Big 10 (plus the possibility that they can meet in the college football playoff).

The bottom line is this: SEC cross-division games are slowly becoming as exotic and rare as a good non-conference game against teams from other power conferences and, in that respect, will be some of the most intriguing games on upcoming schedules.

Here are the best cross-division games to look forward to in upcoming seasons:

2014 -- South Carolina at Auburn: These could well be the two division favorites heading into the season, meaning this could be a preview of the SEC championship game.

Consider this: Steve Spurrier is 69 years old, already old for a college football coach. Auburn won't play the Gamecocks again until 2021, so that means this will likely be the last time Auburn sees the Old Ball Coach before he calls it a career.

2015 -- Alabama at Georgia: LSU always complains that Alabama gets an easier schedule than the Tigers, but this is the year where that starts to change. While LSU does have to play South Carolina and Florida, Alabama gets Georgia, no slouch, to go with Tennessee.

By then, Butch Jones will be in Year 3 in Knoxville and the talent he has started to accumulate through recruiting should start paying dividends. Tennessee could have talent by then to match LSU's permanent East opponent, Florida.

2016 -- Missouri at LSU: Here's what's goofy after the current rotation: This will be the first meeting between Missouri and LSU in an SEC game and by then, Maty Mauk will be a senior, Leonard Fournette will probably be playing his last season in Baton Rouge before heading to the NFL and Gary Pinkel will be 64. Missouri will be in Year 5 in the SEC, hardly a conference newbie anymore.

If that seems far off, consider that LSU won't play at Missouri for the first time in an SEC game until 2023. By then, Les Miles will be 70 and Dylan Moses -- the player who made headlines when he committed to LSU as an eighth grader -- will have already cycled through the Tigers program. For that matter, you can say the same for Zadock Dinklemann, the eighth-grade quarterback who committed to play for LSU in February.

2017 -- Ole Miss at Kentucky: How does an Ole Miss-Kentucky game make the list?

Easy. By 2017, we'll know if Hugh Freeze's early recruiting success has paid dividends for Ole Miss. Meanwhile, the banner recruiting class Mark Stoops brought to Kentucky this spring will be entering their senior seasons, assuming he doesn't cycle through them early.

If you want to forecast a future lightweight-turned-heavyweight battle, this wouldn't be a bad guess.

butchjones.jpg

By the time Auburn and Tennessee play in 2018, Butch Jones should have upgraded the depth of talent in the Tennessee program. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)

2018 -- Tennessee at Auburn: By 2018, Butch Jones will have had six recruiting cycles and if they continue on the current trend, the Volunteers should finally be stockpiled with top-end SEC talent that can match the depth of the SEC's current elite programs.

By then, we can also assume that Gus Malzahn's Auburn offense will have gone from unusual to trendy to cliche around the SEC. It'll be interesting to see, if Malzahn is still there, where the Tigers' offense will have evolved by then.

2019 -- Auburn at Florida: The Tigers and Gators are separated by a mere five-hour drive, yet they'll have gone since 2011 without playing each other when they finally meet in the Swamp in 2019. By then, two four-year rotations of players will have come and gone between the two programs.

If there is a legitimate argument to be made against keeping permanent cross-division opponents, this game embodies it. By Auburn playing Georgia every year and Florida playing LSU, they end up going far too long between other games against natural opponents.

Auburn and Florida played every year between 1945-2002 and it's a natural rivalry game that shouldn't go eight years without being played.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: SEC Schedule
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »

That's why I'm a proponent of us scheduling some cross division rivals for our ooc games.

I'm not.

the problem with that is like we have always said, "These guys need some recovery time".

Some of you need to be able to visit the Sunday morning workout and see the punishment these guys take on  weekly basis.

If you ever played at all, you knew after the game whether or not you faced a tough opponent. Injuries occur in every game. Some injuries you can play with the next week if you don't have to give maximum effort. Those weeks are needed to heal.

There are no magic cures, even in today's game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »

I'm not.

the problem with that is like we have always said, "These guys need some recovery time".

Some of you need to be able to visit the Sunday morning workout and see the punishment these guys take on  weekly basis.

If you ever played at all, you knew after the game whether or not you faced a tough opponent. Injuries occur in every game. Some injuries you can play with the next week if you don't have to give maximum effort. Those weeks are needed to heal.

The only problem with this is that it's not anything about what you think. It's about what I think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »

I'm not.

Exactly what Eddie Gran said at a talk he gave down here.  Someone asked him when they were going to stop playing high schools for OOCG's.  He smiled and said "Bring on Buffalo".  And went on to say the same thing you just said.  "You have no idea how physical the SEC is and how beat up these guys are."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
What I am talking about is adding ONE game to the schedule every 3 or 4 years that would be cross-divisional rival (i.e. UF or USCe) instead of an ooc opponent. We could schedule USCw as in the past, Clemson, etc. Do you really think those games would be much less physical?

And I don't think that adding one game every 3 or 4 years makes it that much more physically demanding. That excuse won't work in this scenario, imo. It would help to keep the rivalry stoked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Exactly what Eddie Gran said at a talk he gave down here.  Someone asked him when they were going to stop playing high schools for OOCG's.  He smiled and said "Bring on Buffalo".  And went on to say the same thing you just said.  "You have no idea how physical the SEC is and how beat up these guys are."
I'd like to see them just go back to the two cross-divisional team rotation for all teams. If every team has to do it, and now with a playoff, there's no way an SEC team gets left out, even with an extra loss or two. And they will have been tested even more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
This line:

2018  It'll be interesting to see, if Malzahn is still there, where the Tigers' offense will have evolved by then.

:facepalm:

They talk about Spurrier being 76, Miles being 70, Butch Jones being in his fifth year, Hugh Freeze still being around. 

But Gus?  "If he's still there" 

It wouldn't be a subtle slam if it weren't al.com
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
This line:

:facepalm:

They talk about Spurrier being 76, Miles being 70, Butch Jones being in his fifth year, Hugh Freeze still being around. 

But Gus?  "If he's still there" 

It wouldn't be a subtle slam if it weren't al.com
I noticed that but I do remember in the furor's first couple of years, his tenure was questioned quite often in the media. Not al.com of course but the national media.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
2015 -- Alabama at Georgia: LSU always complains that Alabama gets an easier schedule Complains...no it's because it is fucking true. than the Tigers, but this is the year where that starts to change. While LSU does have to play South Carolina and Florida, Alabama gets Georgia, no slouch, to go with Tennessee.and yet LSU still plays a tougher schedule

This line is also a gem. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
Zadock Dinkelmann

That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
Zadock Dinkelmann

That is all.

Dat Dinkelmann boy is the next comin of Jon Mantegna
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
They've got that squirt bottle of deer antler juice over in West Vance that is pretty damn magical. Mark Ingram was able to fully recover from a dislocated hip/sprained elbow/sandy vagina in 2009 and ran for over 150 yards against the Gators 6 days later.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
96 days.  Just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."