Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

5 5* Recruits To Follow

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
5 5* Recruits To Follow
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054112-auburn-recruiting-5-recruits-every-tigers-fan-should-be-following-this-summer
Auburn Recruiting: 5 Recruits Every Tigers Fan Should Be Following This Summer
By Justin Ferguson , Auburn Lead Writer May 7, 2014

With spring practice in the books and fall practice still a few months away, the eyes of Auburn fans everywhere will be focused on one thing this summer—the year-round recruiting frenzy.

The Tigers are coming off one of their biggest recruiting months in recent memory. Auburn shot up to as high as No. 2 in 247Sports' Composite Team Rankings after seven recruits made verbal commitments to play on the Plains in the span of 12 days surrounding A-Day weekend.

While Auburn, now at No. 3 in the latest team rankings, already has an impressive 2015 class with nine months to go before national signing day, head coach Gus Malzahn and his staff still have not landed a 5-star commitment.

Auburn has picked up a pair of 5-stars in each of Malzahn's first two classes—Roc Thomas and Tre Williams in 2014, Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson in 2013—and the Tigers are hot on the trail for several of the nation's top high school players.

As Auburn's staff hits the road ahead of the "Big Cat Weekend" event later this month, let's take a look at five of the defending SEC champions' current 5-star targets.

RB Jovon Robinson

Auburn is currently in the hunt for a familiar face, highly touted running back Jovon Robinson.

Robinson has already committed and signed with the Tigers—in the spring of 2012. But shortly after he arrived on campus, Robinson was ruled ineligible after an investigation revealed his counselor at Memphis' Wooddale High School changed at least one of his grades.

The former 4-star running back landed at Georgia Military College, where Auburn 2013 defensive line signees DaVonte Lambert and Devaroe Lawrence played. Robinson set NJCAA single-season rushing records with 2,387 yards and 34 touchdowns for the Bulldogs in 2013, en route to becoming the top junior-college recruit in all the land.

According to 247Sports' Bryan Matthews, Robinson still has a good relationship with Malzahn that dates back to his original recruitment to Auburn.

“I’ve always liked Coach Malzahn,” Robinson told Matthews last month. “He was actually the first coach, OC to recruit me out of high school. He came to my high school when I was in 11th grade and told me I could do some special things with him."

The 5'11", 225-pound Robinson, whose decision will most likely come down to Auburn and Alabama, is the running back the Tigers are currently missing in their running back depth chart. With seniors Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant leaving the team after the 2014 season, Auburn could really use its second chance at an experienced transfer such as Robinson.

DT Trent Thompson

While the Tigers fight for the nation's top junior-college recruit, they are also in the mix for the nation's top high-school recruit, defensive tackle Trent Thompson.

The 6'4", 292-pound native of Albany, Georgia, could be another Auburn commitment from its growing Peach State pipeline.

Thompson told 247Sports on Tuesday night that his current top-four list of schools, in order, was longtime leader Georgia, Auburn, Clemson and Florida State.

Thompson was last on Auburn's campus in March, and he could be a potential visitor for Big Cat Weekend later this month. The No. 1 overall recruit visited Auburn last November for the Tigers' wild "Miracle at Jordan-Hare" victory against Georgia, his No. 1 school.

Current Auburn defensive line coach and former Georgia ace recruiter Rodney Garner has yet to snag lineman commitment for the 2015 class, and Thompson would be a huge get for the Tigers. Auburn still has a lot of work to do, though, as the vast majority of recruiting analysts still predict Thompson will sign with the in-state Bulldogs.

With the heavy amount of rotation Auburn does have across its front four, the Tigers could always use some more blue-chip players, like Carl Lawson, Montravius Adams, Elijah Daniel and the seven defensive linemen they signed in 2014. Look for Garner and Auburn to stay in the hunt for Thompson this summer.

OT Martez Ivey

Over the last few years, Auburn has enjoyed great success in snagging blue-chip offensive linemen from all across the Southeast.

Martez Ivey, a 6'6" tackle from Apopka, Florida, and the No. 3 overall player in the country, could be the next player to join that list of talented Tigers. Ivey has already garnered several major accolades from his junior-year performance, including invitations to Nike's "The Opening" combine, the 2015 Under Armour All-American Game and the 2015 U.S. All-American Bowl.

Florida is believed to lead the way with Ivey, but he is also being recruited hard by fellow SEC powers Auburn, Alabama and South Carolina. Ivey made an unofficial visit to Auburn in April and could be back on the Plains for Big Cat Weekend.

Ivey is a teammate of Chandler Cox, a 3-star fullback/athlete whom Auburn is also looking at heavily for a H-back role. Auburn is expected to visit both Ivey and Chandler at Apopka sometime this week, per Luke Stampini of 247Sports.

The Tigers only signed two offensive linemen for their 2014 class, a junior-college center in Xavier Dampeer and a high-school guard in Braden Smith.

While both Dampeer and Smith were excellent pickups for the offensive line, signing a dominant offensive tackle should be a priority for Auburn in 2014—and Ivey fits the bill perfectly.

QB Torrance Gibson

The Tigers have already added a quarterback commitment to their 2015 class in 4-star Tyler Queen, but they also have a real chance at the nation's top dual threat signal-caller.

Torrance Gibson, who hails from powerhouse American Heritage High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, has Auburn at No. 2 on his top-15 list of schools he tweeted Monday, the same day that offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee visited Gibson at American Heritage.

Gibson was not able to visit Auburn on A-Day for "family reasons," but there is a good chance he makes it to campus for Big Cat Weekend.

Tennessee is the early leader for Gibson, who threw for 1,789 yards and 19 touchdowns, while also rushing for 1,063 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Other top schools on his list include LSU, Ohio State, Clemson and Miami.

Gibson's mix of size, elusiveness and arm strength make him an ideal quarterback for Malzahn's "hurry-up, no-huddle" offense, but the Tigers will have to fight hard on the recruiting trail in order to secure one of the nation's most talented offensive players.

DT Daron Payne

The signings of Mr. Football award winners Racean "Roc" Thomas and Jeremy Johnson have helped change the recruiting dynamic in the state of Alabama.

That dynamic will continue to play out in the recruitment of defensive tackle Daron Payne, the state's No. 1 overall player.

Alabama seems to be the early leader for Payne, a native of Birmingham who is one of the strongest players in this year's class. Payne posted max numbers of more than 400 pounds bench-pressing and more than 600 pounds in squats last summer.

Payne attended A-Day—Alabama's A-Day, that is—and did not make his expected unofficial visit to Auburn the weekend before the two rivals' spring games.

The Tigers seem to have a lot of work to do in recruiting Payne, but they should not be out of the running this early in the recruiting calendar.

Defensive line coach Rodney Garner knows how to get top-level defensive linemen. Fans all across Alabama should expect this in-state battle to rage throughout the summer and into the early part of fall.
Just from reading this, I think we get Robinson back. I think we probably get Ivy. Possibly get Thompson. Less likely to get Gibson. Miss on Payne.

Thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: 5 5* Recruits To Follow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
Robinson is a bitter pill. I always wonder if he had signed with the turds, would there ever had been a question about his grades...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054112-auburn-recruiting-5-recruits-every-tigers-fan-should-be-following-this-summerJust from reading this, I think we get Robinson back. I think we probably get Ivy. Possibly get Thompson. Less likely to get Gibson. Miss on Payne.

Thoughts?

Yes
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »

Yes

He's not the best color guy in the business for nothing, folks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »
Just from reading this, I think we get Robinson back. I think we probably get Ivy. Possibly get Thompson. Less likely to get Gibson. Miss on Payne.

Thoughts?
I am thinking about this. I will get back with you later.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054112-auburn-recruiting-5-recruits-every-tigers-fan-should-be-following-this-summerJust from reading this, I think we get Robinson back. I think we probably get Ivy. Possibly get Thompson. Less likely to get Gibson. Miss on Payne.

Thoughts?
We land Robinson...that's it among that group.

Robinson - Auburn
Thompson - Georgia (they've got a former uat bagman on their staff now)
Ivey - Florida
Gibson - Ohio State
Payne - uat (that's they only D1 University that he'll be qualified for. If he happens to get more money elsewhere and decides to take the bigger offer, he'll have his grades questioned).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:02:18 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Robinson is a bitter pill. I always wonder if he had signed with the turds, would there ever had been a question about his grades...

I have a bad feeling about Robinson.  Seems like a prime opportunity for the bait and switch right before signing day. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »
I have a bad feeling about Robinson.  Seems like a prime opportunity for the bait and switch right before signing day.

Malzahn better take some hip-hop lessons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
Malzahn better take some hip-hop lessons.
It would be nice if you could come up with some of your own material. You think you can just change one little thing and make it yours. Bullshit. You ripped this off and I know, because it was mine on NSD.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
It would be nice if you could come up with some of your own material. You think you can just change one little thing and make it yours. Bullshit. You ripped this off and I know, because it was mine on NSD.

All my stuff is original.  And my knowledge of all things, especially football. is unsurpassed.  Did you know that football is 90% mental and the other half is physical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
All my stuff that isn't funny is original.  And my knowledge of all things, especially football. is very suspect.  Did you know that football is 90% mental and the other half is physical.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
Well, did you know that there is an oldest trick in the book?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
Looketh over there. :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
Looketh over there. :haha:

Ha Ha.  Madest thou look.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
All my stuff is original.  And my knowledge of all things, especially football. is unsurpassed.  Did you know that football is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

What about punctuation?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »

Oh please. Everybody knows that is BASEBALL!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
Skreets.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Jovon-Robinson-will-be-a-Tiger-again-28653051
Robinson will be a Tiger again
Keith Niebuhr

Auburn’s hot streak on the recruiting trail continued Thursday, and the Tigers’ latest get may be its biggest pickup to date.

Jovon Robinson signed with Auburn back in 2012. He will be a Tiger again.

AUC has learned 5-star RB Jovon Robinson of Georgia Military College has committed to the Tigers. The 5-feet-11, 215-pound Robinson is the No. 1-ranked junior college prospect according to 247Sports and the 247Composite.

A Memphis native, Robinson set a junior college record with 2,387 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns on 272 carries in 2013, earning him NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Robinson will be a December grad.

Robinson originally signed with Auburn in 2012 when he was Wooddale High In Memphis.

He reported to Auburn that summer and went through the first few of weeks of preseason practice before being ruled academically ineligible when it was discovered that at least one of his high school grades had been changed by a Wooddale guidance counselor.

“I have taken visits and evaluated every school that offered me the opportunity to be a part of their program, and after careful thought and consideration, I have chosen to verbally commit to Auburn University," Robinson said in a release. "I have a long relationship with coach Gus Malzahn, and have developed a strong bond with assistant coaches Rhett Lashlee and Tim Horton, who did an outstanding job recruiting me. I want to thank all of the schools and coaches that recruited me. The people I have met during this process have really inspired me and kept me focused. I am excited to have this important decision out of the way so that I can focus completely on the upcoming season at Georgia Military College, and accomplishing our goal of winning a National Championship."

What kind of player -- and what kind of person -- is Auburn getting?

"It has been a true pleasure to be able to coach Jovon, and I am happy that he will have the opportunity to continue his football career at Auburn University," GMC offensive coordinator Ross Robinson said. "I enjoyed having the opportunity to recruit him, and I am proud of the way he has conducted the recruiting process this time around.

Not only is Auburn getting a special talent and a great football player, but an extremely hard worker that is dedicated to making both himself and his team better. It has been exciting to watch him mature and develop both on and off the field during his time at GMC, and he has made a tremendous positive impact not only to the football program but the entire community. I look forward to coaching him this upcoming season, and watching his progress as a student-athlete and as a person next year and beyond."

Robinson is commitment No. 14 for Auburn, which began the day No. 3 in the recruiting team rankings.

Robinson visited Auburn twice in April, most recently for the A-Day game on April 19.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1641431

Five-star RB commits to Auburn
Justin Hokanson

AUBURN | It's been a long road, but Jovon Robinson is now one step closer to arriving back where it all began two years ago.

The five-star running back from Georgia Military College committed to Auburn on Thursday, he tells AuburnSports.com. He chose the Tigers over Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, USC and more.

Jovon Robinson committed to Auburn on Thursday.
"I have taken visits and evaluated every school that offered me the opportunity to be a part of their program, and after careful thought and consideration, I have chosen to verbally commit to Auburn University. I have a long relationship with coach Gus Malzahn, and have developed a strong bond with assistant coaches Rhett Lashlee and Tim Horton, who did an outstanding job recruiting me.

"I want to thank all of the schools and coaches that recruited me. The people I have met during this process have really inspired me and kept me focused. I am excited to have this important decision out of the way so that I can focus completely on the upcoming season at Georgia Military College, and accomplishing our goal of winning a National Championship."

Robinson, now 6-foot, 225 pounds, signed with Auburn in 2012 and arrived on campus, but his time on the Plains was short-lived. Robinson was ruled academically ineligible and departed after just one week of fall practice.

Robinson returned home to Memphis and sat out the fall of 2012. He landed at GMC during the spring of 2013 with renewed energy and spirit that was never more than evident than last fall, when Robinson rushed for 2,387 yards and 34 touchdowns.

Robinson will have three years to play two at Auburn.

"It has been a true pleasure to be able to coach Jovon, and I am happy that he will have the opportunity to continue his football career at Auburn University," GMC offensive coordinator Ross Robinson said. "I enjoyed having the opportunity to recruit him, and I am proud of the way he has conducted the recruiting process this time around.

"Not only is Auburn getting a special talent and a great football player, but an extremely hard worker that is dedicated to making both himself and his team better. It has been exciting to watch him mature and develop both on and off the field during his time at GMC, and he has made a tremendous positive impact not only to the football program but the entire community.

"I look forward to coaching him this upcoming season, and watching his progress as a student- athlete and as a person next year and beyond."

Robinson quickly became the nation's top junior college running back and arguably the nation's top junior college prospect overall after last fall.

That's when schools came calling again.

Last year, Robinson said Alabama was the only school in position to sign him, but Auburn drew him back in. Robinson visited the Tigers at the beginning of April - his first visit since he left in the fall of 2012. Days after that visit, Robinson visited Alabama, only to return to Auburn for A-Day later that month.

Robinson, at that point, knew what his decision would be, and he let the world know on Thursday.

"It's the same place that I left, just different coaches. Same players, the atmosphere is the same," Robinson said following his initial April visit to Auburn.

Much of the credit of landing Robinson goes to head coach Gus Malzahn, running backs coach Tim Horton and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. Robinson's past relationship with Malzahn, combined with his new relationships with Horton and Lashlee, proved significant.

After Robinson's visit to Auburn in April, he said of Malzahn, "we talked about the plans he had for me the first go-around, you can only imagine what's going through my head then when I was coming out of high school. I had a fiery attitude especially with Gus knowing what he had planned for me to get into his system.

"Two of the best people connecting again. I shocked the world, he shocked the world, so what can we not do? It was a great experience talking to him. He was appreciative of me coming back and giving Auburn a chance. I took that into consideration."

Robinson becomes Auburn's 14th commitment and will graduate in December and enroll at Auburn in January.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 10:42:26 AM »
This is nothing other than a gut feeling...but I am weary of this...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »
This is nothing other than a gut feeling...but I am weary of this...

FYI, he's enrolling in January. As in before signing day. Just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions