Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Top Coaches Ranking

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Top Coaches Ranking
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
Another horseshit list put together by Matt Hayes. I've heard of him but don't know much about him. This list is idiotic though. It's a slide show., so I'll list the top 13 for you.
1. Saban 2. Spurrier 3. Meyer-OSU 4. Stoops OU 5. Brian Kelly ND 6. Peterson -Wash St 7. Shaw-Stanford 8. Miles- LsU 9. Dantonio--Mich St 10. Jimbo-FSU 11. Briles--Baylor 12. Snyder KSU 13. Gus

OK, there is no one I want as HC but Gus. He's my boy. At the same time, I have no problem with Saban being number one or Spurrier number 2. It's based on turning the programs around and I'm assuming that 1 season at the helm won't put Gus in the top 10--even though it was likely the biggest turnaround in sports (or at least CFB) history.

Ok, so why is Peterson on here? I didn't think he left Boise till last year. He is a top 25 coach though.  Meyer at number 3? You have to be kidding me. Barely in top 25 to me.  They need to win one game in their conference to make it to the BCS Natty and they can't even win that one.

Brian Kelly at number 5? Really? And remind me what he's done besides start winning a few against the service academies for a change. Not in top 25 in my book.

I'm ok with Stanford's Shaw because he is black.

OK with Miles at #8 because he's goofy enough that he's pretty good.
OK with Dantonio at MSU for no. 9.

Jimbo is number 10. I guess o.k. Unlike Meyer, he doesn't even face 1 tough team to make it to the Natty but he won the one that counted.

Briles at number 11--I'm good. Bill Snyder KSU at 12--I'm good. He's a damn good coach. He and Briles both are top 10 to me.

Gus at 13. Meteoric rise.

I would put him behind Spurrier. Not because I think Steve is better but because it's only one season at a major DI.

Feel free to discuss. Remember, please stay on topic and no name calling.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-04-30/coach-rankings-nick-saban-steve-spurrier-urban-meyer-bob-stoops-brian-kelly/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Re: Top Coaches Ranking
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »
I actually don't think that's a bad list. 

1. Saban - 10+ win seasons for 6 years now. 

2. Spurrier - As much as he's choked over the past 6 years, you have to admit that he's had tremendous success at a school that could have been considered unfit for SEC competition. 

3.  Meyer - SEC bias aside, he dominated at Florida and is now dominating at Ohio State.  Sure, it's an easier schedule, but he's running through it year after year.  And don't forget he won two SEC championships and two BCS championships while coaching in the SEC. 

4.  Stoops - Consistently a tough competitor since what, 1999?  Honestly, I'd move Stoops up on the list.  Maybe to number 2 because he's the shit.

5. Kelly - Yeah, I have beef with this one.  He needs to be out of the top ten.  They had one good year where they slipped through a joke schedule.  He's Charlie Weiss but he actually beat USC.

6.  Peterson - Turned Boise State into not only a program that could compete with top schools, but he had the Broncos trampling some of the best teams in the country.  Also, much like Stoops, he's had long term consistency. And he's at Washington now.  Not Washington State, dumbass. 

7.  Shaw - I don't like this one either.  He's merely a shadow of Jim Harbaugh.  He's doing very well and he's on his way to being a top coach in the country.  But until he weathers some adversity and shows he is controlling the ship, I'm not sure I like him at #7.

8.  Miles - Should be higher.  LSU is annually considered a title contender. 

9.  Dantonio - Meh.  He's had some good defenses and he's been consistent over the long haul.  He hasn't done anything to turn Michigan State into a true national championship caliber team that attracts NFL potentials during recruiting.  Good coach though.

10.  Jimbo - Yeah, move him up I guess.  He's been good a choke jobs and last year, I feel like he benefitted from NFL talent at nearly every position on his 1st string.  Granted he had to get them there, but he's had top talent squander opportunities plenty of times before. 

11.  Briles - Great talent.  Great coach.  I'd still take Gus. 

12.  Snyder - Needs to be way up. Definitely has proven that he is a great coach as great coaches know how to strategize and manipulate in order to win no matter what the depth chart is like.

13.  Gus - They only put Gus here because it's #13 and they want that bad voodoo to bring down Auburn. 

My list:

1.  Saban
2.  Meyer
3.  Stoops
4.  Spurrier
5.  Snyder
6.  Peterson
7.  Miles
8.  Jimbo
9.  Gus
10.  Briles
11.  Dantonio
12.  Shaw
13.  Kelly
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Top Coaches Ranking
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
I actually don't think that's a bad list. 

1. Saban - 10+ win seasons for 6 years now. 

2. Spurrier - As much as he's choked over the past 6 years, you have to admit that he's had tremendous success at a school that could have been considered unfit for SEC competition. 

3.  Meyer - SEC bias aside, he dominated at Florida and is now dominating at Ohio State.  Sure, it's an easier schedule, but he's running through it year after year.  And don't forget he won two SEC championships and two BCS championships while coaching in the SEC. 

4.  Stoops - Consistently a tough competitor since what, 1999?  Honestly, I'd move Stoops up on the list.  Maybe to number 2 because he's the shoot.

5. Kelly - Yeah, I have beef with this one.  He needs to be out of the top ten.  They had one good year where they slipped through a joke schedule.  He's Charlie Weiss but he actually beat USC.

6.  Peterson - Turned Boise State into not only a program that could compete with top schools, but he had the Broncos trampling some of the best teams in the country.  Also, much like Stoops, he's had long term consistency. And he's at Washington now.  Not Washington State, dumbass. 

7.  Shaw - I don't like this one either.  He's merely a shadow of Jim Harbaugh.  He's doing very well and he's on his way to being a top coach in the country.  But until he weathers some adversity and shows he is controlling the ship, I'm not sure I like him at #7.

8.  Miles - Should be higher.  LSU is annually considered a title contender. 

9.  Dantonio - Meh.  He's had some good defenses and he's been consistent over the long haul.  He hasn't done anything to turn Michigan State into a true national championship caliber team that attracts NFL potentials during recruiting.  Good coach though.

10.  Jimbo - Yeah, move him up I guess.  He's been good a choke jobs and last year, I feel like he benefitted from NFL talent at nearly every position on his 1st string.  Granted he had to get them there, but he's had top talent squander opportunities plenty of times before. 

11.  Briles - Great talent.  Great coach.  I'd still take Gus. 

12.  Snyder - Needs to be way up. Definitely has proven that he is a great coach as great coaches know how to strategize and manipulate in order to win no matter what the depth chart is like.

13.  Gus - They only put Gus here because it's #13 and they want that bad voodoo to bring down Auburn. 

My list:

1.  Saban
2.  Meyer
3.  Stoops
4.  Spurrier
5.  Snyder
6.  Peterson
7.  Miles
8.  Jimbo
9.  Gus
10.  Briles
11.  Dantonio
12.  Shaw
13.  Kelly
Look, don't make me have to find you. Meyer did win those champs and I won't discount that. He also ran away from the SEC as fast and as far as he could. He was exposed his last year. His system worked with Zook's players and with the best QB in college football at the time.

Srsly, I give him credit for that. I just don't think those wins plus his Utah put him in the top 10. He didn't rebuild at UF. There was a lot of momentum and talent already there.

And as stated, he has a cakewalk every year now. I can't put him in top 10.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com