Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Common Core Math

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Common Core Math
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
Louis C.K. went off via twitter on his 3rd grade daughter's homework.

https://twitter.com/louisck
My kids used to love math. Now it makes them cry. Thanks standardized testing and common core!

A huge amount of my third graders time is spent preparing for and answering questions like this.

This is one of my favorites. Also for third graders. Who is writig these? And why?

Look at 4 of part a. And the point isn't that it's too hard. Just read #4. Please.

"Why night you want each picture to stand for more than 1 balloon?" Yet again I must tell my kid "don't answer it. It's a bad question"

Sorry. I sit with my kids as they so their HW they devour knowledge. When it's hard they step up. Their teachers are great

But it's changed in recent years. It's all about these tests. It feels like a dark time. And nothing is going in anymore.

It's this massive stressball that hangs over the whole school. The kids teachers trying to adapt to these badly written notions.

these questions btw were not written by her teacher. they were on a standardized test. written by pearson or whoever the hell

Okay I'm done. This is just one dumb, fat parent's POV. I'm pissed because I love NYC public schools. mice, lice and all.

my favorite responses have been adults proudly announcing that they were able to solve these problems from a 3rd grade test.

Some of the responses & counter-responses were great too.
@alexnazaryan
The things @louisck says about school, technology, etc. are shallow & trite, but they are said with emphasis & thus sound deep.
@louisck
@alexnazaryan the things you say about me are shallow and mean but you posed in front of some books for your pic & thus sound smart.

Colbert did a great piece on it as well.
http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/nemi1a/common-core-confusion?xrs=share_copy_email
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Common Core Math
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
I still don't get the problem with the new curriculum based on problem solving.

The new math standards were created to teach kids how to understand the meaning of numbers as opposed to just memorizing how sums work.  Previous math standards were based on simplification of complex equations so that the memorization was still applicable.  Now that calculators are so widely used, it's become apparent through research that kids aren't even worried about the memorization of the basics.

We learned math in this way:

2+4=6

2x3=6

12/2=6

This way when we got to something more complicated like 324x456, we could simplify the equation to something more manageable.  First you say 6x4, 6x2, then 6x3 and put those numbers under the line.  Then you go to the next spot and add a zero at the end then do 5x4, 5x2, and 5x3...and so on until you get the answer.  This is fine for some people.  For others, the disconnect between the equations and a true understand of what the numbers mean made math irrelevant to them in the early years and led to difficulties later on down the road. 

So the new math curriculum is based on making true meaning and tangible applications to equations. 

None of those questions seemed that difficult to figure out and if a teacher is teaching the concepts prior to the assessment, I don't see why students shouldn't be able to get the right answers. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
And who the fuck keeps putting the alphabet in maf?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »
You're ready to get a threesome going with two hookers, Sunshine and Candice.  You have half an ounce of blow and have agreed to get these bitches high before the raunchy sex begins. If it takes an 8 ball for each to get off and they want to snort it off your fully erect, 7 1/2 inch cock, how many lines will you need if an 8 ball is equal to 3.5 grams?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
You're ready to get a threesome going with two hookers, Sunshine and Candice.  You have half an ounce of blow and have agreed to get these bitches high before the raunchy sex begins. If it takes an 8 ball for each to get off and they want to snort it off your fully erect, 7 1/2 inch cock, how many lines will you need if an 8 ball is equal to 3.5 grams?

Now see this is real world applicable math.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I still don't get the problem with the new curriculum based on problem solving.

The new math standards were created to teach kids how to understand the meaning of numbers as opposed to just memorizing how sums work.  Previous math standards were based on simplification of complex equations so that the memorization was still applicable.  Now that calculators are so widely used, it's become apparent through research that kids aren't even worried about the memorization of the basics.

We learned math in this way:

2+4=6

2x3=6

12/2=6

This way when we got to something more complicated like 324x456, we could simplify the equation to something more manageable.  First you say 6x4, 6x2, then 6x3 and put those numbers under the line.  Then you go to the next spot and add a zero at the end then do 5x4, 5x2, and 5x3...and so on until you get the answer.  This is fine for some people.  For others, the disconnect between the equations and a true understand of what the numbers mean made math irrelevant to them in the early years and led to difficulties later on down the road. 

So the new math curriculum is based on making true meaning and tangible applications to equations. 

None of those questions seemed that difficult to figure out and if a teacher is teaching the concepts prior to the assessment, I don't see why students shouldn't be able to get the right answers.

We learned math by counting the number of beans and okras we picked from the garden as we put them in our burlap sacks.  If we miscounted we got the strap and had to go back out into the sun and start over. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
We learned math by counting the number of beans and okras we picked from the garden as we put them in our burlap sacks.  If we miscounted we got the strap and had to go back out into the sun and start over.

Numbers meant beans and okras.

I learned how to multiple using the football strategy.

What's 7x6? 

Well, 6 touchdowns is 42 points so 7x6 = 42. 

What's 8x9?

9 touchdowns is 63 points plus the leftover 9 so 8x9 = 72. 

Granted, this method fails if you have a Bama kicker kicking your extra points. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole