Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bruce Pearl may have been

Re: Bruce Pearl may have been
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:01 PM »
Wayne Flynt. :-)
That was him!  I couldn't remember his name for the life of me.  Loved his classes.  Second only to Dr. Bohanon for me.  Thanks, it would have driven me crazy trying to remember his name.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
*This space for rent*

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »
That was him!  I couldn't remember his name for the life of me.  Loved his classes.  Second only to Dr. Bohanon for me.  Thanks, it would have driven me crazy trying to remember his name.

Show of hands errrr-one. Who had James Brown for "lets grow some tomatoes and shit 101"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »

You know Wayne Flynt went on a mission to destroy Pat Dye, right?  Smart guy, good teacher but he had -- and has -- an agenda that isn't in the best interests of Auburn athletics.  Is it in the best interest of Auburn as a whole?  Hard to say, but there's no question that it's HIS vision of Auburn.  He considers himself to have the moral high ground. 

You're aware Flynt was the one who pushed for the "Bowden tapes" to be made public? 

He was "overjoyed" when Bobby Lowder's financial empire fell apart, ending his years and years of contributions (in the multiple of millions) that helped build much of the infrastructure that makes Auburn one of the most beautiful -- and academically strong -- colleges in the nation. 

You're aware Flynt and Selena Roberts have a mutual admiration society? 

You're aware Flynt called the 2010 national championship "the final morsel of an overindulgent banquet" and lamented that "I don't know how you enjoy it much any more." 

I have very mixed feelings about him.  I think he's sincere in what he believes, but also think that he envisions a world that cannot exist in the way he thinks it should. 

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/04/bobby_lowders_polarizing_time.html  This, detailing the end of Lowder's tenure gives you a little insight into his thinking.

Rane, Dye, former AU president Richardson and even Finebaum are complimentary of what Lowder brought to Auburn. Dye especially points out what Auburn was like when he got there.  Most of you don't remember that, but I do.  We were falling behind in everything.  Not just football, but in part as a symptom of football.  As much as I hate to admit it, we WERE little brother in just about every way at that point.  Lowder changed that by bringing business acumen and decision-making grit to Auburn. 

Flynt rhapsodizes about how art, literature and poofy stuff that honestly doesn't bring a dime to the school or help bring students to the campus could be sooooo much better without Bobby. 

To me, Flynt is typical of the ivory tower pinheads who've never really had to make a living in the real world.  The guys who think budgets are something you just draw up, you don't have to actually earn the money you spend.  It doesn't surprise me that he'd find somebody like Lowder repugnant.  It also doesn't make Flynt right at all -- but Flynt did manage through COUNTLESS interviews and writings to push the "Emperor Lowder" perception on the unsuspecting public. 

Just my pennies, snicky. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:25:16 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
We had guys like Mike Mitchell, Stan Petkiewicz and Wayne Bracy. Had Mule King and the Turds down 11 at the half and disintegrated. That was my first college bb game at the old place.

I remember Stan Petcabbage. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
You know Wayne Flynt went on a mission to destroy Pat Dye, right?  Smart guy, good teacher but he had -- and has -- an agenda that isn't in the best interests of Auburn athletics.  Is it in the best interest of Auburn as a whole?  Hard to say, but there's no question that it's HIS vision of Auburn.  He considers himself to have the moral high ground. 

You're aware Flynt was the one who pushed for the "Bowden tapes" to be made public? 

He was "overjoyed" when Bobby Lowder's financial empire fell apart, ending his years and years of contributions (in the multiple of millions) that helped build much of the infrastructure that makes Auburn one of the most beautiful -- and academically strong -- colleges in the nation. 

You're aware Flynt and Selena Roberts have a mutual admiration society? 

You're aware Flynt called the 2010 national championship "the final morsel of an overindulgent banquet" and lamented that "I don't know how you enjoy it much any more." 

I have very mixed feelings about him.  I think he's sincere in what he believes, but also think that he envisions a world that cannot exist in the way he thinks it should. 

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/04/bobby_lowders_polarizing_time.html  This, detailing the end of Lowder's tenure gives you a little insight into his thinking.

Rane, Dye, former AU president Richardson and even Finebaum are complimentary of what Lowder brought to Auburn. Dye especially points out what Auburn was like when he got there.  Most of you don't remember that, but I do.  We were falling behind in everything.  Not just football, but in part as a symptom of football.  As much as I hate to admit it, we WERE little brother in just about every way at that point.  Lowder changed that by bringing business acumen and decision-making grit to Auburn. 

Flynt rhapsodizes about how art, literature and poofy stuff that honestly doesn't bring a dime to the school or help bring students to the campus could be sooooo much better without Bobby. 

To me, Flynt is typical of the ivory tower pinheads who've never really had to make a living in the real world.  The guys who think budgets are something you just draw up, you don't have to actually earn the money you spend.  It doesn't surprise me that he'd find somebody like Lowder repugnant.  It also doesn't make Flynt right at all -- but Flynt did manage through COUNTLESS interviews and writings to push the "Emperor Lowder" perception on the unsuspecting public. 

Just my pennies, snicky.
I was totally unaware of all that, but I could totally see that from him.  He was a big supporter of AU BB when Eagles was there.  Thanks for that info.  Much appreciated!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
*This space for rent*

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
Show of hands errrr-one. Who had James Brown for "lets grow some tomatoes and shit 101"?

The quintessential senior class: Organic Gardening.

James-my-boy and the Pop Quiz Man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »

That's Mr. Pop Quiz Man to you Junior.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »

You my boy blue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
You my boy blue.

You blow boys was what I heard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
He needed the money....OOOOooooo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »

You may want to look into that then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
HOOVER, Ala. | Austin Wiley already considers Auburn a second home. Bruce Pearl and his staff are making sure it stays that way.

Pearl invited Wiley, a 5-star and the state of Alabama's top prospect for the 2017 class, down for a visit Sept. 27 along with 4-star Danjel Purifoy, an Auburn 2015 commit originally from Centreville, Ala., Madison (Ala.) Academy 4-star 2016 guard Joshua Langford and Eufaula (Ala.) High 2018 guard Tony Johnson.

"It was good," Wiley said. "They got all the No. 1 players from each class to come down. We all talked with Coach Pearl. He got us all in a room and played us a video about staying in-state and going to college. He used different examples, not just Auburn."

Pearl and his staff made quite an impression.

"This staff is just real energetic and ready for the season to start," Wiley said. "I think a spark has come back for Auburn basketball. Everybody has been waiting on it for a while."

Pearl was hired this spring to take over a program that hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2003. He brought in three transfers and added two signees this summer to try and make a quick turnaround.

"They want to speed up the tempo on offense and defense," Wiley said. "They want to play with speed and energy. They're going to be small this year, but they said they can overcome it."

Wiley plans to take his time making a decision but with both his parents -- Aubrey Wiley and Vickie Orr -- former Auburn basketball players, the Tigers are, and should remain, a favorite.

"It feels like home," said Wiley, who has offers from Auburn, Alabama, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.

Wiley and his AAU teammate, Jamal Johnson, both transferred to Spain Park High School this year and should have the Jaguars among the state's top programs this season.

"I'm looking forward to it a lot," Johnson said. "We just connect really good with each other and we love playing with each other. I just look forward to playing with him every day."

Johnson, a 4-star 2017 guard, wasn't able to make it down to Auburn a couple of weeks ago but plans to visit with Wiley Oct. 25 when the Tigers' host South Carolina.

Johnson has offers from Auburn, Texas A&M and Kansas State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
I'm ready to run through a wall for this guy.
 :ebm: :hulk: :ebm: :hulk: :ebm:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:25:44 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »
 :ebm: :hulk: :ebm: :hulk: :ebm:

Let me know when you plan to do this. I would like to help push.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »
Let me know when you plan to do this. I would like to help push.
Doesn't even need to be a wall - could just be a fence, like that sheep the other day?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
Dude continues to do things right...This is pretty fucking awesome to me. Not a lot of coaches would honor a previous coach like this.

Bruce Pearl had to do a little persuading to get Cliff Ellis to return to Auburn.

Now, with the Tigers having just one day off to prepare for Ellis and Coast Carolina, Pearl isn't sure it was the right move.

"We have the shortest turnaround that we will have," Pearl said. "This may not have been the smartest move I have made as far as timing is concerned. I think in the big picture it is worth doing."

Scheduling the game and return of Ellis, who coached at Auburn from 1994-2004, wasn't easy. Pearl had to make sacrifices, and so will the Tigers.

Auburn (3-3) is coming off a devastating 46-44 last-second loss at Texas Tech on Wednesday. The Tigers returned home early Thursday morning, attended classes and had minimal time to focus on the visiting Chanticleers.

"There was not much of a window to schedule this game," Pearl said. "Coastal Carolina is a really good team and they are one of the most complex teams that we will play. It is the kind of team that you would like to have some time to prepare for. That is not how it is with every team. It just is with this team.

"We are really up against it. We are going to have to rally."

Auburn (3-3) hosts Coast Carolina (5-2) tonight. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m.

"I think that Cliff (Ellis) coming back, let us honor him, and let us remember all the good that was done," Pearl said. "Let his former players relish a little bit. I'm glad that Cliff was able to come back and play in a game.

"I just hope I haven't put my team in such harms way with the short turnaround, and finals, and the travel, and not just a good opponent, but a complicated opponent. They are multiple. We will have to be able to get ready for them. But it is a great thing having Cliff and those former players back."

The game will be televised by FSN.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
Auburn (3-3) hosts Coast Carolina (5-2) tonight. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m.

The game will be televised by FSN.
Damn and the PAC12 championship is tonight too. Gonna be a good sports night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jmar

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
Damn and the PAC12 championship is tonight too. Gonna be a good sports night.
Hell yeah, I'm gonna tailgate on the carport.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
Dude continues to do things right...This is pretty fucking awesome to me. Not a lot of coaches would honor a previous coach like this.
I was like the only guy who had reservations about the hire.

I obviously only knew the trouble and not the man.

And we play scrappy regardless of how shooting is going. Bruce is the man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2014, 10:52:22 AM »

I watched Cliff's entire presser yesterday.  He had many good things to say about Bruce and AU.  Cliff said it was emotional, he cherished every moment he had here and had no regrets.  Told the fans to be patient and Pearl would have us turned around and he was rooting for Bruce and AU.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan