Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Iron Bowl 2014: If we played today

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Iron Bowl 2014: If we played today
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
Interesting and I think most objective folks will agree with Scarb. IMO, just because we have the most offensive talent (maybe in the country) certainly doesn't automatically equate to easier or more wins. Just because we have more depth on D, doesn't mean we are better. But, it certainly looks like we have a very good chance of being a better team than last year. The biggest ? for me is special teams.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/if_they_played_today_auburn_wo.html
If they played today, Auburn would beat Alabama again in another game for the ages

Print
Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com By  Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 21, 2014 at 2:33 PM, updated April 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM   
Save your breath, and hold your tongue. I know already. Auburn and Alabama don't play today. They don't play for 222 days, which is plenty of time for stars to rise and fall, injuries to mount and heal and fortunes to change for better or worse.

With that disclaimer out of the way, with spring practice concluded at both programs, it's time to offer one prediction that simply can't be proven wrong.

If they played today, Auburn would beat Alabama for the second year in a row, probably to win the SEC West and earn a spot in the SEC Championship Game, possibly to move within a game of the first College Football Playoff.

It would be a close game. The days of 42-14 and 49-0 appear to be over as long as Nick Saban stays in Tuscaloosa and Gus Malzahn remains in Auburn.

It would be a game that could go either way in the fourth quarter just like their last meeting last November when they started the last 15 minutes dead even and produced these fireworks: a 99-yard Alabama touchdown pass, a 39-yard Auburn touchdown pass and a 109-yard Auburn return of a missed field goal for a touchdown.

That game was headed to overtime until Malzahn and his staff outsmarted Saban and company by dropping Chris Davis deep on that final, fateful field-goal try, maybe the best just-in-case decision in college football history.

That game was that close, and there's no reason to think the sequel will be any less of a struggle.

There is one good reason to think Auburn would win again if they played today, and it comes down to who's better at what they do best.

Alabama may have the best defense in the nation, but only if a young and unproven secondary grows up and steps up in a hurry. Auburn may have the best offense in the country, no asterisk required, and it looks like the Tigers may have a passing game as dangerous as their running game.

It's dangerous to draw conclusions or make predictions based on a spring game, but it is possible to see talent at work. By that measure, it's clear that Auburn has upgraded its receiving corps with the addition of juco standout D'haquille (call him Duke) Williams.

With Sammie Coates on one side and Williams on the other, coupled with a combo of Ricardo Louis, Quan Bray and Marcus Davis in the slots, defenses are going to have a hard time choosing which guy to double-team. Play nickel or dime, and they play right into the hands of the read-option running game with Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant.

Then there's quarterback Nick Marshall, who may have been the SEC's real MVP last season. He's older, wiser and sharper throwing the ball. If there's a legit Heisman candidate in the state going into the season, he's it.

At the moment, Marshall and a proven offensive line are the biggest differences between the Tigers and the Tide.

Remember this: Defense doesn't always win games, let alone championships. Auburn proved that in 2010 when it won the BCS title and again last season when it won the SEC with a superior offense. That offense has a chance to be better this season.

The Alabama defense should be improved itself, with a downright nasty front seven featuring A'Shawn Robinson up front and Trey DePriest and Reggie Ragland in the middle, but it remains to be seen how good the secondary will be. The young but talented defensive backs should get better with game experience.

Another reason the Crimson Tide should be glad it doesn't face the Tigers until November: Jacob Coker is still a Florida State student today.

Alabama is going to have to score points to beat Auburn. Last year 28 points behind a fifth-year senior quarterback with two national championship rings wasn't enough. It remains to be seen whether Coker can throw and the offensive line can block well enough for the playmakers at running back, wide receiver and tight end to do their thing.

Throw in the X-factor of new coordinator Lane Kiffin calling plays, and it's naturally going to take time for the Alabama offense to find its groove.

For all those reasons, if they played today, Auburn would beat Alabama in another game for the ages.

As for what's going to happen Nov. 29 in Bryant-Denny Stadium, check back a little later - preferably after they've each played at least one real game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Re: Iron Bowl 2014: If we played today
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »
Alabama lost a bunch and for the first time in years, it was not apparent in their spring game that they had replaced it with equal or better talent. 

I read the article this morning and thought it was typical Saban slobbering.  Just because of their past success, people are putting Alabama in the top two in the country.  There is absolutely no reason to think they will win 10 or 11 games this year. 

Their quarterback play was putrid.  Running backs are way overrated.  Yeldon and Drake benefitted from an experienced and strong offensive line.  Alabama will most likely be starting a true freshman at left tackle, and their center with experience decided to not play football next year.  Yes, they are stout at receiver but who is going to throw it to them?  Sims?  A freshman?  Oh right.  That one guy who was second string and decided to transfer but won't be in Tuscaloosa until a month before the season starts. 

Defensively, I'm sure they will be good, but many teams in the SEC have good defenses.  Alabama has always had that one guy at each position that can dominate consistently every game.  CJ Moseley at linebacker.  Haha Clinton-Dix at safety.  They lost three main guys from their defensive line including the guy that played the all-important Jack position.  They do not appear to have those much needed difference makers that can take over a game with a few crucial big plays.

Their special teams?  They have a good kickoff returner.  That's it.  Their punter is average and their kickers are the worst in the SEC in big game moments. 

Auburn on the other hand returns a whole slew of playmakers from a team that competed for the national championship and won the SEC championship.  In addition to this, Auburn has added much needed talent at positions that were lacking in depth and quality and further, Auburn is only in year two of what appears to be a rising superstar in Gus Malzahn. 

But yeah, let's just go ahead and say right now the two schools are on equal footing and it would be a nail biter for Auburn to win.  Would hate to anger the horde of Crimpsun terrorists who would send death threats to the guy's mother for remotely implying that Alabama is a good step behind Auburn going into this year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
Interesting and I think most objective folks will agree with Scarb. IMO, just because we have the most offensive talent (maybe in the country) certainly doesn't automatically equate to easier or more wins. Just because we have more depth on D, doesn't mean we are better. But, it certainly looks like we have a very good chance of being a better team than last year. The biggest ? for me is special teams.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/if_they_played_today_auburn_wo.html
If they played today, Auburn would beat Alabama again in another game for the ages

Print
Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com By  Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 21, 2014 at 2:33 PM, updated April 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM   
Save your breath, and hold your tongue. I know already. Auburn and Alabama don't play today. They don't play for 222 days, which is plenty of time for stars to rise and fall, injuries to mount and heal and fortunes to change for better or worse.

With that disclaimer out of the way, with spring practice concluded at both programs, it's time to offer one prediction that simply can't be proven wrong.

If they played today, Auburn would beat Alabama for the second year in a row, probably to win the SEC West and earn a spot in the SEC Championship Game, possibly to move within a game of the first College Football Playoff.

It would be a close game. The days of 42-14 and 49-0 appear to be over as long as Nick Saban stays in Tuscaloosa and Gus Malzahn remains in Auburn.

It would be a game that could go either way in the fourth quarter just like their last meeting last November when they started the last 15 minutes dead even and produced these fireworks: a 99-yard Alabama touchdown pass, a 39-yard Auburn touchdown pass and a 109-yard Auburn return of a missed field goal for a touchdown.

That game was headed to overtime until Malzahn and his staff outsmarted Saban and company by dropping Chris Davis deep on that final, fateful field-goal try, maybe the best just-in-case decision in college football history.

That game was that close, and there's no reason to think the sequel will be any less of a struggle.

There is one good reason to think Auburn would win again if they played today, and it comes down to who's better at what they do best.

Alabama may have the best defense in the nation, but only if a young and unproven secondary grows up and steps up in a hurry. Auburn may have the best offense in the country, no asterisk required, and it looks like the Tigers may have a passing game as dangerous as their running game.

It's dangerous to draw conclusions or make predictions based on a spring game, but it is possible to see talent at work. By that measure, it's clear that Auburn has upgraded its receiving corps with the addition of juco standout D'haquille (call him Duke) Williams.

With Sammie Coates on one side and Williams on the other, coupled with a combo of Ricardo Louis, Quan Bray and Marcus Davis in the slots, defenses are going to have a hard time choosing which guy to double-team. Play nickel or dime, and they play right into the hands of the read-option running game with Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant.

Then there's quarterback Nick Marshall, who may have been the SEC's real MVP last season. He's older, wiser and sharper throwing the ball. If there's a legit Heisman candidate in the state going into the season, he's it.

At the moment, Marshall and a proven offensive line are the biggest differences between the Tigers and the Tide.

Remember this: Defense doesn't always win games, let alone championships. Auburn proved that in 2010 when it won the BCS title and again last season when it won the SEC with a superior offense. That offense has a chance to be better this season.

The Alabama defense should be improved itself, with a downright nasty front seven featuring A'Shawn Robinson up front and Trey DePriest and Reggie Ragland in the middle, but it remains to be seen how good the secondary will be. The young but talented defensive backs should get better with game experience.

Another reason the Crimson Tide should be glad it doesn't face the Tigers until November: Jacob Coker is still a Florida State student today.

Alabama is going to have to score points to beat Auburn. Last year 28 points behind a fifth-year senior quarterback with two national championship rings wasn't enough. It remains to be seen whether Coker can throw and the offensive line can block well enough for the playmakers at running back, wide receiver and tight end to do their thing.

Throw in the X-factor of new coordinator Lane Kiffin calling plays, and it's naturally going to take time for the Alabama offense to find its groove.

For all those reasons, if they played today, Auburn would beat Alabama in another game for the ages.

As for what's going to happen Nov. 29 in Bryant-Denny Stadium, check back a little later - preferably after they've each played at least one real game.

Advantage Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
I for one WANT bammer ranked pre-season "automatic national champeen agin, why we even botherin' to have a game".

Then when they get their shit pushed in by one of the Little Debbies on their schedule, the epic meltdown will be...well... EPIC.

The fans will turn ugly(-er) and Kiffin will be the sacrificial lamb unless Sabinz decides he has had enough of this inbred shit and tells them fuck off, and oh, BTW?  Kiffin is your new head coach.  He was the double secret head-coach-in-waiting.

***BOOM***   <--- heads in trailer parks all over the state
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
Does anyone else see this as a possibility?  Kiffiekins being the heir apparent?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
Does anyone else see this as a possibility?  Kiffiekins being the heir apparent?
I would have to think they would go Kirby Smart.  But your scenario would no doubt be (what is funnier than funny?) yes!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
Not until you mentioned it but it would be remote, imo. I think he will need to show a lot of success and they would be totally transforming their offense with him as hc. I don't see that happening.

I know Saban talks that talk but I think he will keep reigns on Kiffin.

I will be more surprised at them winning 10 than I would 6. I think they were better off with the last guy than Kiffin. I say he's one and done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
Come to think of it...

If Saban is half the diabolical genius he is frequently credited as being...

What if he KNEW that this year was going to be a complete steaming pile of shit, particularly on offense? What if he KNEW that it just wasn't salvagable? What if he KNEW that turnover combined with attrition combined with arrests, etc. was going to result in an unwinnable situation? What if he needed to buy a mulligan?

Does he hire a scapegoat patsy intentionally? Does he hire a known fuckup that is so unlikeable already that he KNOWS he will take all of the blame? Does he KNOW that the Alabama fanbase and local media is so far up his own ass that they dare not speak ill of him if they have any possible out? That they won't hold him directly responsible for Kiffin being a failure? That they'll paint the lack of judgment as anything but? As an anomaly? Because they're already screaming from the mountains (according to plan) that he's a rock star?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

noxin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
I will be more surprised at them winning 10 than I would 6.

Tough to find more than 2 losses on their shitshow of a schedule.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
Come to think of it...

If Saban is half the diabolical genius he is frequently credited as being...

What if he KNEW that this year was going to be a complete steaming pile of shoot, particularly on offense? What if he KNEW that it just wasn't salvagable? What if he KNEW that turnover combined with attrition combined with arrests, etc. was going to result in an unwinnable situation? What if he needed to buy a mulligan?

Does he hire a scapegoat patsy intentionally? Does he hire a known fudgeup that is so unlikeable already that he KNOWS he will take all of the blame? Does he KNOW that the Alabama fanbase and local media is so far up his own ass that they dare not speak ill of him if they have any possible out? That they won't hold him directly responsible for Kiffin being a failure? That they'll paint the lack of judgment as anything but? As an anomaly? Because they're already screaming from the mountains (according to plan) that he's a rock star?

I really wish I could see you ask these questions to Saban at one of his press conferences.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
I really wish I could see you ask these questions to Saban at one of his press conferences.

The local press would stone him before he got 1/8th of the way through that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »

That would be 22.7%
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »

He's already told you that getting stoned never hurt anybody.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
Here's what I take from all this. 

When the polls come out Bama will be top two or three. Despite losing a game manager, half the offensive line, most of the secondary and a few other key pieces who haven't been on the team since before the Sugar Bowl.

Auburn will be Top Ten. Despite bringing back everybody but Tre, Chris Davis and Jake Holland essentially.

If the situation were reversed, the Tahd would be a consensus number one. Auburn would be 17 or 18. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.