Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rumor has it that Gabe MacKenzie will have a new position coach today

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
I keep hearing that Gabe is moving to DE to bolster the depth over there since Gray has not yet panned out and the Freshman (I forget his name) was injured.

Sorry, no link.

UPDATED WITH LINK
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:09:13 PM by Hugh Jass »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Rumor has it that Gabe MacKenzie will have a new position coach today
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
I keep hearing that Gabe is moving to DE to bolster the depth over there since Gray has not yet panned out and the Freshman (I forget his name) was injured.

Sorry, no link.

That would surprise me a bit.  He's a very solid blocker and a decent pass catcher.  I guess with Trott coming on so well this spring/fall, GM could become expendable on the offense, but I would think you'd want two experienced TEs.

Perplexing.

I'm going to be doubting Thomas until I see a link, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
That would surprise me a bit.  He's a very solid blocker and a decent pass catcher.  I guess with Trott coming on so well this spring/fall, GM could become expendable on the offense, but I would think you'd want two experienced TEs.

Perplexing.

I'm going to be doubting Thomas until I see a link, though.
You will bow down to me and my insider sources when it is announced today.  Now, back to the Bear Force One tryouts...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »
You will bow down to me and my insider sources when it is announced today.  Now, back to the Bear Force One tryouts...
No offense, but this makes no sense to me.  Does he have any experience at DE?  Do we have another TE to fill his spot?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »
No offense, but this makes no sense to me.  Does he have any experience at DE?  Do we have another TE to fill his spot?
I thought I remembered him playing both TE and DE in High School, but I could be wrong.  Also, remember that there is no REAL TE in this offense.
I am not sold either, but even austudent22 on ITAT mentioned this in passing yesterday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
This doesn't need to happen in my opinion.  We've got Carter, Coleman, Goggans and A.J. Green, which puts us 2 deep at that position.  If Trott goes down, where so we turn at TE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »
Hasn't CTF been throwing a ton of praise towards Gabe as being one of the most improved players this fall?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »
I"ve heard he has been moved.  In my opinion, I thought he should've been there since day one, but we had a need at the TE position when he came in.  He's not McClover or Groves fast, but he has a very quick first step.  I'm guessing that Brent Slusher will be the backup now at the TE position.  I think alot of it has to do with Raven not being in peak football shape and Wadley having the heat related problems, kinda leaves us thin at the DE positions.  The move may stick, it may not, it will depend on Raven, Wadley, and the next wave of incoming freshmen.
Fuck, who knows.  He might just be the next QG and wreak some havoc on the poor offensive saps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
Brent Slusher?  That's what we have as a backup to Trott?  As important as Trott and the TE appear to be to this offense, it looks like this move would make us scary thin at that position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 01:28:58 PM »
If this is true, this is a dumb move.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »
Brent Slusher?  That's what we have as a backup to Trott?  As important as Trott and the TE appear to be to this offense, it looks like this move would make us scary thin at that position.
Actually, without looking at the last Depth Chart I remember seeing, MacKenzie wasn't even listed as a backup to Trott at the position they had him listed in (Z Receiver I think).  There were a couple of smaller WR types listed behind Trott from what I remember.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »
If this is true, this is a dumb move.
I don't know, except for the timing.  I always pictured MacKenzie as a Jay Ratliff type who could cause some havoc coming off the edge.
Now, they have put him behind the 8-ball with no reps and Fall camp over though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

kirkAU

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
from Bryan Matthews on the rivals.com site:

According to AU head coach Tommy Tuberville, it was actually McKenzie that made the decision.

"This was Gabe's decision totally but it was a smart decision on his part being a team guy and wanting to be on the field and wanting to play. I'm proud of him," said Tuberville.

McKenzie's move will help shore up some depth concerns at SDE.
"I think it gives him an opportunity at both after next year. He's a junior, one more year, and give him a chance to get a look at the next level at both of them."

A junior, McKenzie played both offense and defense in high school, but has been used exclusively at tight end since joining the Tigers and redshirting in 2005.

McKenzie practiced at defensive end for the first time Tuesday. Tuberville said he did very well in pass rush drill and expects McKenzie to play in the opener Aug. 30 against Louisiana-Monroe.

"Today was his first time in full pads and did very good," said Tuberville. "He's just got a lot to learn. I think as the year goes on he can really give us a lot of help there. He's very athletic and he was a very good defensive player in high school."

So that confirms it was mainly Gabe's decision.  I'm sure the coaches had some input.  And yes, he did play on both sides of the ball in high school.  I'm not sure what I think of the move yet.  Maybe he'll blow it up in the next couple days at practice and scrimmages.  we'll see.   Seems like the coaches could always bring him back to TE if Tommy Trott gets hurt or decides to be a dumbass and not catch the ball anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
Even if Trott doesn't get hurt, we need someone to give him a break.  This offense is fast paced and they run a ton of plays.  I'm not down with Brent Slusher coming in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
Ahem.  Coming from someone who has coached in the spread.  Ahem.  LOOK AT ME FUCKERS. 

The spread doesn't need a tight end.  You can do a lot with a good one, but as for depth, it's not really a need.  We do, however, need depth at DE.  From the comments in the links I've read today, I think we need to be a little more concerned about our depth at DE.  It sounds like Raven Gray's injury hasn't healed yet, and AJ Greene isn't panning out as planned.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Ogre

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
Remember that in CTF's spread, Tommy Trott is not officially listed as a TE, but rather a Y Receiver.  Gabe was 2nd string at the Y position behind Tommy, and now that he's moved to DE, Tim Hawthorne is listed at 2nd string.  After Hawthorne, the other TE's that no one has heard of are the backups. 

As THS and Prowler said, we are a lot thinner at DE than we are at the Y position.  With Raven Gray not progressing like we'd hoped, and Wadley having health issues, apparently Gabe saw that he'd have a chance to get in a lot more playing time.  Hell, Tuberville said today that he's expecting Gabe to play DE against LAMO.  That should say something for how well he's picking the position up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions