Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Getting Physical. Physical.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Getting Physical. Physical.
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
I don't know what to make of this. Did we soften or are we upping the bar? I am glad that it is a priority.

Auburn's Gus Malzahn challenges his team to be more physical in spring's final two weeks

Print
Joel A. Erickson | jerickson@al.com By  Joel A. Erickson | jerickson@al.com   
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 08, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Auburn Spring Practice 2014
Auburn's Gus Malzahn challenges his team to be more physical in spring's final two weeks
Auburn linebacker Cameron Toney mixing it up with starters after battling through 'toughest' year
Auburn injury report: Ricardo Louis has 'minor ailment'; Keymiya Harrell day-to-day
Quick hits: Gus Malzahn wraps up Day 10 of spring practice

AUBURN, Alabama -- Early in Tuesday's practice, before the Tigers even started stretching, offensive line coach J.B. Grimes stopped for a moment to deliver a clear, strong message.

Grimes wasn't happy with the way his offensive line played in Saturday's practice, a workout that included a half-scrimmage for the Tigers' younger players and newcomers battling for a chance at playing time in August.

And Grimes let his linemen have it, telling them in no uncertain terms that he didn't want to see any issues with effort or pad level as Auburn winds down spring practice to A-Day these next two weeks.

Grimes was relaying a message from the top, a missive from Gus Malzahn the head coach crafted after evaluating the film of Saturday's scrimmage.

"The big thing is we needed to be more physical," Malzahn said. "As a group, we've got to play with great effort on both sides of the football. Our standard’s high, and so our coaches were very strict on our guys with assignments, with loafs and everything that goes with it."

Under Malzahn, Auburn's practices have always focused on a key situational area, and the Tigers focused on both 3rd-and-medium and 3rd-and-long situations on Tuesday.

The real work, though, centered on correcting mistakes made in a scrimmage that the defense dominated, albeit with both sides playing without several key starters who were held out to get younger players more snaps.

"We came out in shells, tried to stay away from injuries, but today was just a regular practice," Auburn running back Corey Grant said. "Nothing too specific on anything, except effort and making sure you finish."

Malzahn has been pleased with the way his established players have carried over the intensity of the regular season to these 15 spring sessions.

Now, his focus is on pushing the rest of the roster up to that level and moving forward.

"For the most part our guys flew around," Malzahn said. "They acted like they wanted to practice today starting out."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Getting Physical. Physical.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
We run a gimmick, high school, sucker punch offense. So, naturally, we soft.

:sarcasm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
I would have.  At any time. In any place.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »

Oh yea!  It was gonna be Xanadoodoo with her....Which is the 1980 version of collard stirrin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
I doubt she's the only John that you guys have wanted to make it with. But, she is for me. I have done a lot of arm exercises to her aerobics tapes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

noxin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »

Would you do it on a train?  Would you do it in the rain?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions