Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

PBar

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
PBar
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
Based on Mason's comments last year, what the guys that are vying for PT with him this year and the coaches say, my expectations are probably a little out of whack for this guy. IIRC, he was highly sought after by our staff and was fairly highly recruited. Prowler, set the record straight: wasn't he committed to Ole Miss?

From scout team to starter? Auburn RB Peyton Barber trying to live up to hype
Peyton Barber
Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall (14) fakes a hand off to running back Peyton Barber (25) during Auburn's first spring practice Tuesday, March 18, 2014, at the Auburn Athletic Complex in Auburn, Ala.
AUBURN, Alabama -- Peyton Barber learned a few dance moves last season.

The scout team running back a year ago is in the mix for the starting job this spring, less than a year after taking a beating in practice as the Tigers' go-to runner on scout team.

"Those are situations that usually make or break a lot of guys," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "When they either get tough and fight through it or they go the other way."

Barber fought through it, but not before he picked up a few pointers and made the decision to start evading tacklers instead of absorbing every big hit. The freshman was so impressive, it was Heisman Trophy finalist Tre Mason who stood on a stage before the BCS National Championship and proclaimed Barber as the next player who would likely succeed him as the Tigers' running back -- not seniors Cameron Artis-Payne or Corey Grant.

"Me and Cam talk about it all the time," Mason said in January. "[Barber] is probably, skill wise, the best out of all of us. That guy is good. He's very consistent when he's scrimmaging. He's very consistent."

Barber will get his chance to prove he's worthy of the starting job during the last two weeks of the spring, though the summer could prove to be more important. Newcomer Roc Thomas, a five-star prospect out of Oxford, will arrive in the summer months with the starting job in his sights as well.

Barber could be the darkhorse in the race, however, with his 5-foot-11, 225-pound frame providing a small-but-rugged physique that could translate into a durable-but-explosive season if provided the opportunity.

He rushed for more than 1,700 yards and 22 touchdowns at Milton (Alpharetta, Ga.) High in 2012, ranking among the top 50 running backs nationally, according to the major recruiting services.

"Peyton’s a big kid," said left guard Alex Kozan. "Peyton’s freaky."

Barber is sharing the load with Artis-Payne and Grant this spring, though the redshirt freshman is likely getting the bulk of the load as he tries to adjust to life as a potential star.

"Peyton was very, I'm not going to say a pleasant surprise, but we really got some great response from the scout team coaches and the defense, the way he showed toughness and durability and everything," Malzahn said. "That's a tough spot. A scout-team running back during season is not a popular thing to do for an average person."

Artis-Payne wants the competition to end with him on top as soon as possible, of course. Barber has yet to speak to the media, but continues to impress behind the closed doors of spring practices.

"Peyton is a talent," Artis-Payne said. "He’s a real good talent. Him just getting that experience doing scout team and doing those types of things helped him out a lot. He’s ready to open up some eyes this year."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: PBar
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
Stanton Truitt is really fast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
Yes, he was a OM commit before he decided to kinda open things back up while still committed to OM. UCLA and Texas were among the other teams in the running to sign him...but they didn't have his teammate Carl Lawson already committed, that played a pretty big role in landing Barber...that and money of course.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:24:18 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »
Stanton Truitt is really fast.
He's no Davis Hooper though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
He's no Davis Hooper though.

Chandler Shakespeare is not impressed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
When the fuck did 5'11"/225 become "small but rugged"???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
When the fuck did 5'11"/225 become "small but rugged"???
5'-1"/225, and you're talking fun-sized VV style
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions