Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

BOOM - Pearl has been hired

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: BOOM - Pearl has been hired
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
I don't understand the whole shoe thing? Kids just don't want to wear UA over Nike?

That can't be it.  Surely they aren't picking schools based on what kind of game shoe they have to wear unless UA simply sucks ass and is uncomfortable.  Then I'd understand.

If Nike is being closed doors threatening them to not go to UA schools, fuck Nike.  And it's bullshit.  Nike will throw a huge contract to a superstar NBA player no matter what college he went to nor what shoe he wore on game night.

Nike is big in the AAU circuit, and from what I've heard that makes it tough for an Under Armour program to get access to those recruits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »
Auburn got a steal. Particularly the buyout portion.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/03/bruce_pearl_signs_6-year_deal.html

Bruce Pearl signs 6-year Auburn deal worth $2.2 million per year that includes hefty buyout for both sides

By Joel A. Erickson

on March 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM, updated March 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs has signed new basketball coach Bruce Pearl to a six-year deal worth $2.2 million per year in the first year.

After the first year, according to Jacobs, the contract has a $100,000 escalator in each succeeding year -- meaning $2.3 million in his second season, $2.4 million in his third year, and so on.

""When you see the contract I signed, you can tell," Pearl said, "(Jacobs) raised the bar in men's basketball"

Pearl's contract also includes a hefty buyout if he decides to leave Auburn early. If Pearl leaves Auburn in the first two seasons, he owes the school $5 million, then it decelerates to $4 million in the season after that and down to $1 million.

"We've made an investment in basketball, and he has to," Jacobs said.

If Auburn fires Pearl before the end of his contract, Pearl's buyout is half of his pay, so $1.1 million per year.

Pearl's salary represents a significant increase from what the Tigers were paying former coach Tony Barbee, who made $1.5 million per year.

And it's raise from the $1.9 million Pearl made at Tennessee.

Barbee is still owed $2.4375 million through 2017, a buyout negotiated at $750,000 per year, payable in monthly installments.

According to salaries compiled by the Knoxville News-Sentinel last year, that figure would tie Pearl for third among SEC coaches with Arkansas' Mike Anderson, behind only Kentucky's John Calipari and Florida's Billy Donovan.

No contract has been released by Auburn yet after Pearl was hired Tuesday morning, ending a whirlwind search that lasted six days, but Pearl has signed a letter of agreement.

"He's signed a letter of agreement," Jacobs said. "We're working on the contract today. We just couldn't get it all done last night."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
Triple BOOM!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2014, 03:27:26 AM »
I'll say this, if Coach Pearl only stays at Auburn for 3-4 years then goes to the NBA or wherever, then he'll have put the Auburn basketball program light years ahead of where it is today, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
Jay Jacobs really gets it. Who knew?  :aubie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
Is it just me, or is there a bit of a resemblance?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

Jay Jacobs looks nothing like Shug.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 11:13:40 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
Bruce Pearl's teams have increased their win total by an average of 7 games in his first year at a school.

Bruce Pearl holds or shares the record for single-season wins at all three schools where he's coached.

How about this: #Auburn basketball sold just 189 regular season tickets last year. Since 10 a.m. today? 250 deposits on regular season tix.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »
Nike is big in the AAU circuit, and from what I've heard that makes it tough for an Under Armour program to get access to those recruits.
I understand this premise. I do not understand why.

My suspicion is benefits. E.g., Do Nike and the other companies have paid "handlers" that take care of things for the AAU coaches? Do these coaches help take care of their players?

There is a lot of expense involved in travel. If so, is the player influenced out of loyalty or familiarity toward one school over another because of the shoe connection? I can't imagine there being someone at Nike calling a recruit and telling them that they need to go a specific school. But, I'm sure their old AAU coach could say this to them and it would hit home. They could stay in touch with the AAU coach throughout their college career and if the coach provides benefits for the player, is this a violation?

Someone needs to splain it to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »

Shug did coach our basketball team for 10 years compiling a 95-77 record.  Both better than Barbee and Lebo.  I blame Nike.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
Like I said: Get Person as an assistant.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/03/bruce_pearl_brings_two_familia.html
Bruce Pearl brings two familiar faces to Auburn as he starts building coaching staff

Brandon Marcello
March 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM

AUBURN, Alabama -- Bruce Pearl has a few hires left to make, but his first two assistants will provide a comfortable atmosphere for the coach as he re-enters the college ranks as Auburn's coach.

Longtime assistant Tony Jones, who served as Pearl's top assistant at Tennessee, will take the same position at Auburn following a three-year break from the college ranks. Steven Pearl, his son, will join the staff and help with player development.

Bruce Pearl said Tuesday he has a few leads as he searches for a third full-time assistant coach.

"I have 690 text messages right now and the great thing is that we are going to hire at least one or two and I"m going to take my time on that to bring a couple of great assistants in here that can challenge me and help me do what we are going to try to do," he said.

The third assistant will be an important one for the first-year Auburn coach, who will be unable to hit the recruiting trail until Aug. 23 because of a show-cause penalty stemming from his days coaching Tennessee.

Jones will lead the Tigers' recruiting efforts for the time being while Steven Pearl works in the office and in the weight room. Steven Pearl does not expect to be heavily involved in recruiting because of his lack of experience.

"I probably won't be since I'm brand new at it and it would be stupid of them to let me go recruit," Steven Pearl said.

Potential candidates include Auburn legend Chuck Person, a longtime NBA assistant who most recently coached in South Korea. Person attended Pearl's introductory press conference Tuesday inside Auburn Arena but declined an interview request.

Ryan Miller served four years on Tony Barbee's staff at Auburn and could get a call to stay on board. Pearl could also reach out to Jason Shay, another former assistant on his staff at Tennessee. Shay is now an assistant at North Dakota.

Jones will act as the de facto head coach on the road while Pearl serves the remainder of his show-cause penalty for lying to NCAA investigators during the tail-end of his six-year tenure at Tennessee.

"I've seen scouting lists, so I'm going to look them over and obviously once I get with compliance and see when we're able to start being able to contact, we'll meticulously and methodically go through the process and ask the players," Jones said. "And we'll watch film to see what will be something that can supplement what we already have."

Steven Pearl joked technology has changed in the three years since his father -- or as he calls him, "Pops" -- last coached college basketball. He'll by his side as he adjusts to new game film systems and recruiting services.

"I have had a chance to do a lot of things together on and off the court," said Bruce Pearl, "and when you come to a new place like this, it is so important that you bring your family along with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
Shug did coach our basketball team for 10 years compiling a 95-77 record.  Both better than Barbee and Lebo.  I blame Nike.
I didn't know Shug wore Nike. Those look like Sears and Roebuck in the pic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
Bruce Pearl's teams have increased their win total by an average of 7 games in his first year at a school.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »
Potential candidates include Auburn legend Chuck Person, a longtime NBA assistant who most recently coached in South Korea,

Talk about small ball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »
Potential candidates include Auburn legend Chuck Person, a longtime NBA assistant who most recently coached in South Korea,

Talk about small ball.

Paging Dennis Rodman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
I understand this premise. I do not understand why.

My suspicion is benefits. E.g., Do Nike and the other companies have paid "handlers" that take care of things for the AAU coaches? Do these coaches help take care of their players?

There is a lot of expense involved in travel. If so, is the player influenced out of loyalty or familiarity toward one school over another because of the shoe connection? I can't imagine there being someone at Nike calling a recruit and telling them that they need to go a specific school. But, I'm sure their old AAU coach could say this to them and it would hit home. They could stay in touch with the AAU coach throughout their college career and if the coach provides benefits for the player, is this a violation?

Someone needs to splain it to me.

Back in the 80s Nike actually paid Big East and ACC coaches to put their kids in Nikes. The big ones were Georgetown and UNC. This opened the door to the influence you see them having now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »
Dan Patrick show this morning.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
He was just on PF and wow, I'm sold.  One thing he said when asked point blank by Paawwwl if he would bolt for a better job as soon as he had some success.  He said "No way...no way.  I'm 54 and have a chance to build a legacy.  I was not leaving Tennessee and plan on building things at AU". 

He admitted the roster right now is "Challenged".  Special was more my thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."